Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair - yay or nay?

Options
  • 15-08-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

There's always divided opinions on this. I have never had a problem with them before but that bloody Channel 4 documentary scared the life out of me!!!

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

There's always divided opinions on this. I have never had a problem with them before but that bloody Channel 4 documentary scared the life out of me!!!

Opinions?

We'll they haven't crashed yet, I mean you could always fly with one of these airlines.

KLM
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

Alitalia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alitalia_Flight_112

British Airways
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_38

Turkish Airlines
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Airlines_Flight_1951

American Airlines
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_587

Manx2
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0210/297553-cork/

...countless others....

On top of that an Independent body (Irish Aviation Authority) have come out and said most of the stuff in the "Documentary" was crap.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/learmount/2013/08/iaa-criticises-dispatches-over-ryanair-programme/

I prefer not to think about it, either there'll be a problem or there won't, sure I might get run over by a car on the way to the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Ignore the documentary, it was a biased hatchet job. It should have been about spanish ATC and their anti-Ryanair (and other airlines)/pro-spanish airlines practices which were the real problem in the instances in the documentary. ATC sent them the long way around which created the fuel issues. Ryanair's fuel policies adhere to the required safety regulations, just like most other airlines.

What really happened (read the comments): http://avherald.com/h?article=454af355

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

Ah I've nothing against them personally! I can't remember any airline coming up cheaper for me when booking a holiday (I do that a lot!).

The only thing I don't like is when they literally bang on to the runway when landing without warning.

I know most of the documentary was crap, but those mayday's were real enough - though as mol pointed out - could happen to any airline.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I always check if there is a cheaper option than Ryanair and there often is for the places and days and times I like to travel and while I wouldn't refuse to fly them under any circumstances, I prefer flying with other airlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I know most of the documentary was crap, but those mayday's were real enough - though as mol pointed out - could happen to any airline.

They did declare an emergency but it wasn't critical situation. Its standard practise to declare an emergency when you are running low on fuel in excess of the reserve. This is due to the Avianca flight who ran out of fuel near New York. 2 of the Ryanair flights landed with fuel in excess of the legal requirement and 1 was slightly below. There was a LAN flight which was significantly below legal requirement. But people prefer to hype on about Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Flying with them in three weeks time, couldn't care less about the documentary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Eponymous wrote: »
    Flying with them in three weeks time, couldn't care less about the documentary.

good for you...........and actually, because of the doc, I'm going to use RA more in the future....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm going to double the number of flights I make with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The only thing I don't like is when they literally bang on to the runway when landing without warning.
    You seriously think that this differes between airlines? Would it be the way they tell their pilots to land? Or the way they ask boeing to customise their airplanes perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,309 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If they're the chepest and mos convenient, yes. This is, howeer, incresingly less lijely to be so.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Ryanair are the best thing to happen to Aviation travel in Europe, you realise that when you see the increased prices and reduced competition in North America.

Even just flying from Ireland to London used to cost far more than it does now. Just play by their rules (print your boarding pass, don't bother checking in luggage, etc) and you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It's called a positive landing = a good thing for stability, braking, etc. afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It had all the hallmarks of a documentary made with a pre-set agenda so the facts were presented in a distorted fashion in order that the viewer come to the desired conclusion. If I'm not mistaken, all of those flights had the required 30 minutes fuel on board when they landed.

I've read in the past over on the Aviation forum that Spanish ATC are a law unto themselves, can do what they like without fear of retribution because it's wall to wall trades unions and that they are basically a bunch of tools. An example quoted was where a foreign flight over Spain asks ATC for a reroute because they're experiencing turbulence, the ATC lads will ask a nearby Iberia flight if they're getting turbulence and if they say they are not, the ATC will tell the foreign flight that there is no turbulence!

I'm no fan of how Ryanair treat their customers but their record on safety speaks for itself given the number of flights flown and passengers carried over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,309 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah I've nothing against them personally! I can't remember any airline coming up cheaper for me when booking a holiday (I do that a lot!).

Just for you... :D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

You'd rather they drifted and touched down nice and gently with half the runway already behind them?? Get her down, get the brakes on and have plenty of runway in front of you if you need it! The airplane is well able for it! Good piloting IMO!

tricky D wrote: »
    It's called a positive landing = a good thing for stability, braking, etc. afaik.

Ah thanks for the info at least I'll know not to sh*t bricks the next time I fly (5 weeks!). As you can tell I'm a nervous flyer -the partner thinks it's hilarious!!

Shedite27 wrote: »
    You seriously think that this differes between airlines? Would it be the way they tell their pilots to land? Or the way they ask boeing to customise their airplanes perhaps?

No, I really don't!!! I've flown other airlines before (although it was some time ago now!!) and they did the same thing - was just pointing out I didn't like it, not really a great flyer - but it's not gonna stop me getting on the plane -it's really just a means to an end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

If it's a short break and I've just got hand luggage, then absolutely.

Virtually no risk of them going on strike either.

Skuxx wrote: »
    You'd rather they drifted and touched down nice and gently with half the runway already behind them?? Get her down, get the brakes on and have plenty of runway in front of you if you need it! The airplane is well able for it! Good piloting IMO!

Ah sure why not - make for an interesting flight :P!!!

I know they wouldn't do it if the airplane wasn't able for it, dad's friend is a FO for them and he has reassured me hundreds of times it's grand, perfectly normal, but yeah.....:P!!!

vitani wrote: »
    Virtually no risk of them going on strike either.

Never thought about that actually, good point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

That's one of their plus points in my mind. That, plus their really strong desire to get the plane off the ground as quickly as possible no matter what the circumstances.

I remember flying to London in snowy/icy weather a year or two back. It was all a bit iffy as to whether flights would depart or not. Many EI (and other carriers) flights were cancelled and there were a lot of sad faces. Meantime, FR continued to load up their planes and get them away. We got to London, the EI & BMI (at the time) passengers didn't. Score 1 for Ryanair.

I've no doubt *at all* that the flights were safe, de-icing was satisfactory, etc . . . and that FR didn't just decide they were going on a solo run, but evaluated the conditions and determined that they could get flights away.

Coming back from Memmingen recently they repeated that old chestnut about "ve haf an air traffic control restriction and haf to get off the ground in the next 10 minutes" to try to hurry everyone up. It really annoys me when they do that despite being *ahead* of scheduled departure time, only one other flight from the airport in the next 2 hours, and remaining on the ground for 15-20 minutes. So much for the 10 minute restriction. *But* the plus point here is that the net effect of them rushing people along is that it does contribute to getting off the ground faster as people do speed up.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Aer Lingus pilots are voting on strike action in support of Aer Arann pilots.

Its nice to see so many positive comments in support of FR. If this was most other fora there would be 11 pages now of vitriol towards them and daft statements like "Id rather have my plucked out than fly ryanair".

OP twice I have been stranded on holiday. Once was when Aer Lingus went on strike and another time when Zoom collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

Opinions?

the full report / communication between bloody channel4 and ryanair is here:
    http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair-releases-channel-4-dispatches-letters

I hope ryanair will win in court against those scumbags from c4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Be interesting actually to see if anyone had any Ryanair stories that Ryanair weren't shown to be correct.

Has there ever been a court case where they were found that they should have allowed something they did not?

The only one I can think of was when they tried to charge for a wheelchair (they now charge every passenger for a wheelchair)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

zagmund wrote: »
    That's one of their plus points in my mind. That, plus their really strong desire to get the plane off the ground as quickly as possible no matter what the circumstances.

I remember flying to London in snowy/icy weather a year or two back. It was all a bit iffy as to whether flights would depart or not. Many EI (and other carriers) flights were cancelled and there were a lot of sad faces. Meantime, FR continued to load up their planes and get them away. We got to London, the EI & BMI (at the time) passengers didn't. Score 1 for Ryanair.

The one time I found flights with Aer Lingus were a few quid cheaper, I chose them to fly home for Christmas. Same story, Aer Lingus flights were taking off 5 hours later than scheduled, meanwhile the ryanair flights were maybe delayed by ten minutes. They just said lets get ono with it, and they did. I then swore to never use Aer Lingus again when I had the choice of a Ryanair flight. Prague airport is more expensive than Dublin airport so the few quid I saved booking with Aer Lingus, quickly got spent during my 5 hour wait.

zagmund wrote: »
    I've no doubt *at all* that the flights were safe, de-icing was satisfactory, etc . . . and that FR didn't just decide they were going on a solo run, but evaluated the conditions and determined that they could get flights away.

I had the same experience going to Manchester in January, most UK flights from other operators were cancelled/very delayed due to adverse weather both here and UK.

RyanAirs flight was only 20 minutes delayed, which was the first and only time I've ever been delayed with them, we still landed bang on time. Have to hand it to them there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ryanair carried over 80 million passengers in the past year including me at least 30 times.

I'm still alive, and they didn't kill any of the other 79999970 people to the best of my knowledge.

Not through flying anyway, although I have wondered about the health of those I saw on a couple of flights who attempted the pizza Ryanair sell on board.

I bet they're dead now.

syklops wrote: »
    Aer Lingus pilots are voting on strike action in support of Aer Arann pilots.

Its nice to see so many positive comments in support of FR. If this was most other fora there would be 11 pages now of vitriol towards them and daft statements like "Id rather have my plucked out than fly ryanair".

OP twice I have been stranded on holiday. Once was when Aer Lingus went on strike and another time when Zoom collapsed.

I know I hate people that bash them, I've never had a flight more than 20 mins delayed and staff have always been friendly and helpful.

If you follow their guidelines - like you would for any airline, you won't have a problem. I can't see how people have such trouble with this concept!

andersat2 wrote: »
    I hope ryanair will win in court against those scumbags from c4

Same here!

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    Ryanair carried over 80 million passengers in the past year including me at least 30 times.

I'm still alive, and they didn't kill any of the other 79999970 people to the best of my knowledge.

Not through flying anyway, although I have wondered about the health of those I saw on a couple of flights who attempted the pizza Ryanair sell on board.

I bet they're dead now.

Yeah they carried myself a few times last year!! I'm still here to tell the tale, though maybe that's becaue I didn't chance those pizzas either...!

Advertisement