Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Dublin?

Options
  • 15-08-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am pretty much a noob to Dublin and I am not sure where to start in terms of places to live. My mother is from Dublin but she hasn't been there in like 20 years and when she says certain places are bad i hear others saying they've improved! :o

So the places I've been looking at are St Andrews Court in Lucan, A couple places in Tallaght and Emmets Court in Inchicore, I don't really mind where i live just cant live too far north as my partner will be commuting to work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'll be going to college/working in the city and I am not particularly rough person xD

Thanks!

Shiro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I work in Inchicore and would tell anybody to avoid the area. High levels of anti-social behaviour. The place is crawling with junkies

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Inchicore has some good areas and some not so good areas, i have lived in area for 6 years.
    I would go for areas closer to Kilmainham having said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Dublin 14 or Dublin 6 best bets really, getting into town from Dundrum or Churchtown easy on the Luas 15-20 mins tops. Rathfarnham means a bus.

You'd walk in from anywhere in Dublin 6, Ranelagh Rathmines, Milltown, or Harolds cross (I'd avoid Harolds cross).

I've lived in all of the above areas, best place was Churchtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hacuna Matata

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

What's your budget?

This. Also where does the OH commute to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Shirodoragon

What's your budget?

Max is 950

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shirodoragon

theteal wrote: »
    This. Also where does the OH commute to?

Thurles in Tipperary, it's an hour from the city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

You can live anywhere close to the M50 in that case. You want to be on the green luas not the red one so I would suggest Sandyford/Leopardstown. There is lots of availability there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Thurles in Tipperary, it's an hour from the city :)

Would you live in Kilmainham? There's some nice new apartments around there and it's close to the M50. The Old Chocolate Factory apartments might be a good choice. Your partner could either drive or commute by train to Thurles, it's about a 10 minute walk from Heuston. You would also be close enough to the city centre and near the red luas line. You would want to be careful around certain areas at night but if you lived in Ranelagh or Rathmines it wouldn't be great for your partner commuting to Thurles every day - from there you're talking the guts of 2 hours each way. Thurles would be considerably more than an hour from the city at rush hour even if you're going against the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Emme wrote: »
    Would you live in Kilmainham? There's some nice new apartments around there and it's close to the M50. The Old Chocolate Factory apartments might be a good choice. Your partner could either drive or commute by train to Thurles, it's about a 10 minute walk from Heuston. You would also be close enough to the city centre and near the red luas line. You would want to be careful around certain areas at night but if you lived in Ranelagh or Rathmines it wouldn't be great for your partner commuting to Thurles every day - from there you're talking the guts of 2 hours each way. Thurles would be considerably more than an hour from the city at rush hour even if you're going against the traffic.

Sandyford'd be the better option if driving, less traffic onto the M50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

The Spider wrote: »
    Sandyford'd be the better option if driving, less traffic onto the M50

That's true, but for commuting by train Kilmainham would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

For 950 Id probaby take a 1 bed in dundrum, which you would just about get for that price! Agree with the Churchtown comment, have lived there pretty much all my life, in rathfarnham now and cant wait to get out of here, probably to dundrum though, as very few apartments in churchtown... where will your partner be working?

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1372079

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1370624

in dundrum you are just beside a 24hr tesco, cinema, have a pub and club (winters & parker browns) and have endless other shops, resteraunts etc. Also no need for taxi, except when coming back out from town...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi everyone,

Great thread, very informative. Hoping someone can also give out a bit of advice....

Me and my girlfriend are looking for a place in the west of the city - we've been looking heavily at areas like Chapelizod, Kilmainham, Islandbridge and Inchicore. So far we have been desperately unlucky I think - every time we've seen somewhere we like on Daft, it seems to be gone or we have been gazumped by someone else.

Are there any other areas that we should look out for? We have been looking at those areas because I will be working near Enfield in Meath, and my gf will be working I'm Dublin city.

Also, is Daft really the only reasonable option for searching?

Our budget is 1100, could stretch further if absolutely necessary.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Enfield is a fine commute.DO you really want to lvie in the city? Maynooth,Lucan,Chapelizod,Palmerston might suit you better and would be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Yeah, I know there is a long commute - however we both want to live somewhere in Dublin, as I'd miss the buzz of the place. Eventually, if we both have the same jobs, we would move out of Dublin, but as of now we're happy with that lifestyle.
    My job is just outside Enfield, in Longwood. I'm anticipating a commute of about 45 mins each day from Inchicore, Chapelizod, etc.

Advertisement