Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC History Research Project Sources

• 15-08-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

I'm doing some general reading in preparation for the Leaving Cert project. I'm wondering what actually counts as a 'source', as it wasn't explained to us before we got Summer holidays.

I'm aware we need: "At least three sources of information are required for Higher level, and a minimum of two for Ordinary level".

Could/does one source consist of a book, an internet article, eye-witness account etc? I'm aware the merit of the sources we use will be very important, but I'm not entirely sure what constitutes a 'source' - Am I right in saying that a book on a topic area could be cited numerous times in the essay, as a single source?

Thanks so much for your help! I'm just not fully sure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Hello everyone,

I'm doing some general reading in preparation for the Leaving Cert project. I'm wondering what actually counts as a 'source', as it wasn't explained to us before we got Summer holidays.

I'm aware we need: "At least three sources of information are required for Higher level, and a minimum of two for Ordinary level".

Could/does one source consist of a book, an internet article, eye-witness account etc? I'm aware the merit of the sources we use will be very important, but I'm not entirely sure what constitutes a 'source' - Am I right in saying that a book on a topic area could be cited numerous times in the essay, as a single source?

Thanks so much for your help! I'm just not fully sure.
    Any or all of them -

At least one source sould come from a recognised historian - you can google the author's name to find out if they have published other books or articles or work for a university etc.

Be careful with internet sources - a lot of stuff on the internet is not acceptable (e.g. you cannot use Wikipedia). You will be looking for stuff that is regarded as authentic - so again - who wrote it? - does it contain referneces to other works? - is it connected to the education system (i.e. connected to a school or college)? etc

Similarly with primary sources like eye-witness accounts - you must be sure of the authenticity of the source (that it actually is an eye-witness account) and you need to consider if it is biased etc.

You can use more than three sources in your essay - you will evaluate three sources as part of the project and - yes - you can use the same source in different parts of the essay - just indicate in your essay which sources you are using as evidence for what you are saying.

You might find this helpful -
    http://leavingcerthistory.net/research-projects/

Advertisement