Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss going through my desk

Options
  • 15-08-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am just posting here to get some outside opinions of an issue I am having at work. I posted here before about my boss checking my computer after hours and since then, I have noticed that he is also going through my desk drawers while I am away from my desk.

I work in a family business and he is the manager and also the son of the owner. I wouldn’t be the only one who would find him nosy, if a member of staff is talking to a customer, he will position himself so that he can see/hear their conversation and he would look at the paperwork on people’s desk if they are away from their desk for a few minutes. As far as I know, mine is the only desk where he goes through the drawers. There really is nothing in there that he would need to see, I have an accordion file with invoices that have yet to go on the system, statements from suppliers and copies of remittance advice for EFT payments from customers. All of this information he could find from our software system or by checking the bank account online, he should have no reason to look at the hard copies I have in my drawer. In the past I have noticed he has gone through my in tray as well, again, there is nothing there that he would need to see, mostly bits of correspondence I have to reply to or other little things like that.

He obviously doesn’t see any issue with this, as he isn’t careful about putting things back in the right place, but I see it as a bit of invasion of privacy. I don’t keep anything of significance personally in the drawers, maybe some hand cream, lip balm etc, but it does annoy me that he feels he can go through my drawers like that. I understand that my desk and drawers aren’t ‘my possessions’ but at the same time, surely everyone is entitled to their own space at work surely. I am the only woman in an all male environment and I have to admit I do like my own space and privacy.

Just wondering what other people’s opinions are on this. Perhaps I am totally in the wrong here, but my husband would agree that it is a bit invasive. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Yeah it's irritating but in no way is it an invasion of privacy. All the things you mention he is looking at are business related and kept on business premises, so he is well within his rights to look through them. It shows a serious lack of trust in his team, but that is a separate issue. It could be that he doesn't trust that you are entering the invoices promptly or something. I assume he can only get info from the system once it has been entered onto the system, so perhaps he is double checking that you are in fact doing the work properly.

As I say, it's far from being a good way to manage the team, but that is a different issue to being an invasion of privacy. On that note I would also advise anyone from keeping any properly private personal information in their desk as you run the risk of it being seen by a workmate or colleague and have little to complain about it if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for you reply, I do appreciate the outside opinion. I don’t think it’s that he’s checking up on invoices being processed promptly or anything like that. I’ve worked here for seven years so he knows the way I work by now! Once they are all entered by the end of the month, he leaves me pretty much to my own devices. I know he’s not doing anything illegal, but it just really bothers me that he has no qualms about going through my desk. If it were me and I needed to see something in someone else’s desk, then I would just ask, I wouldn’t go rooting through someone’s desk the minute their back is turned.

I think part of the issue is that as I mentioned, I am the only female in an all male environment. I don’t have a changing room or a locker (the men do) The bathroom I use is a customer bathroom, so literally the only place I have to keep anything personal (deodorant, hand cream etc) is in my drawer in my desk. Nothing massively personal, but it’s still my stuff and I feel he shouldn’t be opening my drawers unless absolutely necessary.

I’m not the only one that has an issue with his nosiness, as I said, he will position himself so he can overhear customer conversations and in fact very often will stare at the customer which some of them have mentioned makes them uncomfortable. I don’t think he realises he is doing it half the time. He goes through people’s notes and message books all the time. As Tatli Lokma says though, it is all work related, so I guess we will just have to put up with it. But it is really starting to affect morale.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nosyboss wrote: »
    ...he will position himself so he can overhear customer conversations and in fact very often will stare at the customer which some of them have mentioned makes them uncomfortable.

That's not nosiness: it's simply monitoring customer service. He's the boss - it's his job to monitor you!

Now if a customer tells you that his behaviour is making them uncomfortable, then you need to tell him about that, so he can organise to do his monitoring in a way that does not make people uncomfortable.

Have you asked for a locker? If the male employees have one, then it's clear gender discrimination not to give you one too. That siad, you shold not assume that even a workplace locker is "private" - if it's in their space, then it's theirs. The lock is really just to keep theiving co-workers at bay, not management.

On the other hand .. you could try keeping tampons, women's itch cream etc in your desk draw along with the handcream. You may find that this is an effective deterant. Or it might backfilre.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That's not nosiness: it's simply monitoring customer service. He's the boss - it's his job to monitor you!

Now if a customer tells you that his behaviour is making them uncomfortable, then you need to tell him about that, so he can organise to do his monitoring in a way that does not make people uncomfortable.

Have you asked for a locker? If the male employees have one, then it's clear gender discrimination not to give you one too. That siad, you shold not assume that even a workplace locker is "private" - if it's in their space, then it's theirs. The lock is really just to keep theiving co-workers at bay, not management.

On the other hand .. you could try keeping tampons, women's itch cream etc in your desk draw along with the handcream. You may find that this is an effective deterant. Or it might backfilre.

I dont buy this either. I have never worked in an office environment where a manager does through your personal items on your desk. It just doesnt happen.

If they have no need to be there then id garner they are just being nosy. Do you keep sweets? is he a sweet tooth ? Outside of this its practically creeping. Unless someone is on holidays and you need access to their info that otherwise you couldnt get from asking them over the devide you shouldnt be pulling their desk apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

How exactly does the computer system hold information on unprocessed invoices? There's lots of information on the hard copy that won't be going on the computer system and for some tasks it's easier to work with a hard copy. You can't seriously expect your boss to refrain from accessing fundamental company information on company property. In this case it seems excessive and poor management but I think you have unrealistic expectations on the sanctity of your desk.

If someone is away and there is something in their desk or in tray we need for the business I'd have no hesitation in getting it. That's more so applies for them being on holidays or something though. If your boss is nipping in while you're in the bathroom then that's very bad management. If he wants to check how you're working he should just ask you.

The stuff in your desk is very fundamental to the business. Would it be a good idea to ask for a cupboard for this to go into? This would let him access it without going through your desk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've never seen a manager going through a desk like that. If it were me, I'd put all the stuff in the desk, on the desk in the open. No reason to search in the desk then.

I'd keep any personal stuff in your own bag. Even then it may be subject to a search depending on your contact and where you work. But they'd have to be a lot more obvious then.

http://blog.thehrcompany.ie/blog/bid/328183/Searching-Employee-Belongings-Appropriately

This really isn't about the legality of it, its about respect, being up front with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

This boss needs sorting.

Put a mouse trap in one of the drawers, If he comments on this, simply respond that you thought a mouse had been in the drawer unit.

It should certainly expose him for being the creep he actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

A fake severed head or a fake severed head stuck into one of the files or similar in the drawer , will scare the ****e out of him and might teach him a lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

A Jiffy bag with something soft squelchy and odourous right at the bottom....he will have to put the hand in to check it out.

If he asks about it - just say you have no idea but you reckon someone has been interfering with your desk.....He should get the message I would hope.

Tbh such repeated invasive micromanagement is a sign off a very poor manager imo.

I presume you have had periodic Reviews with this manager - have you had any feedback that would indicate why this is going on or asindicated is there something creepy about it....

Advertisement