Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GRAND THEFT AUTO ONLINE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Nah, I mean the Online actually has it's own story where your character flies into LS and you meet characters like Lester and Lamar. The more you level up, the more the story unlocks.

Now, here is a vid of a guys reports of his testing of Online. Not sure how legit it is but we know there are beta testers. Anyway, you can put the Crew Emblem on cars! Queue the Boards-ie A-Team style heist van!

Yeah I get you now, I don't think the online story will be too deep, but its hard to know really, I'd imagine Lester and Lamar are just there to introduce you to the online world.

All I hope is we can attempt similar to the paleto heist online!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

There is one heist mentioned a few times that takes a full 16 crew members to take part in and in the heist you steal the big military plane off Merryweather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

There is one heist mentioned a few times that takes a full 16 crew members to take part in and in the heist you steal the big military plane off Merryweather.

I heard of that mission but didn't know it used 16 members, class!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'd love to see this game ported to PC as soon as possible and then try and mod it for MMORPG - SAMP servers do be still going strong with >500 players simultaneously. Imagine this game in a 500-1000 player mode.

First off, love the sig, it's class, one of my favourite moments in the game :pac:

Secondly, I can't fúckin wait!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

I really hope online is better than story mode

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

Just wondering if anyone knows when the online exactly launches? It is midnight on Tuesday or will it be around afternoon so that everyone around the world has the exact same time when it launches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Just wondering if anyone knows when the online exactly launches? It is midnight on Tuesday or will it be around afternoon so that everyone around the world has the exact same time when it launches?

Would reckon its 12 o clock american time, depending where they are.

That would break the internet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I am putting my money on a 6pm our time launch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Requested invite to the boards 2 crew. Badlands73 is my social club name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

People have to send me a PM or say they want to be invited because there are few people that asked to join but I don`t know if they are Boards.ie users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

The private test finishes tonight at 11pm Eastern Time so I would imagine the timings for launch will be to suit American audiences too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm really hoping this isn't like the Red Dead multiplayer where idiots were free to grief others at will in the free roam and never actually do anything.

calex71 wrote: »
    I'm really hoping this isn't like the Red Dead multiplayer where idiots were free to grief others at will in the free roam and never actually do anything.

That's the point of a GTA online game though?

There's a passive mode anyway if you don't want to be in the shoot on sight servers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

From the sound of it it's not a simple free roam like Red Dead.

Some info from an Online preview. Looks like Passive mode costs money to enter into. Also, for Rally Mode you need a mic as the driver has no gps and the co-driver gets the directions. This should be a great laugh! When you rob a store, it temporarily closes down so you or anyone else can't just keep going in robbing it. You can bring up a quick map on screen and set a quick waypoint to points of interest like atm, house, etc. Cannot wait for this.

GTA Online
    • The next day we met downstairs in our lobby, then made our way over to Hotel on Rivington's lobby where we sat around with all the other webmasters. At noon we made our way up to the penthouse suite, where it became clear that Rockstar had not yet finished setting up all the systems. Classic Rockstar. No problem though, while Rockstar finished setting up downstairs we got drinks and headed up on to the roof to chat, enjoying the fantastic panoramic views of New York City. A short while later we were told to come downstairs where we were given a brief overview of GTA Online just to refresh our memories, before each sitting down at a console and TV.
    • I should point out that we actually played an early build of GTA Online on Xbox 360 consoles. We did not play the final version of GTA Online that you will all get to play on the 1st October. As such, we did experience a few little bugs and glitches here and there, it wasn't perfect.
    Starting Out in GTA Online
    • As you may have already read in the previews that came out recently, GTA Online starts with you creating your character. Rockstar have taken a truly unique approach to this, whereby you choose the appearance of your four grandparents, which in turn generates your own character's look. You can of course customise this, with options such as your skin colour, hairstyle, your age, and various stats. Once you're done with this, you're treated to a cutscene introducing your character to the world of GTA Online. As this ends, you start the first mission, which allows you to familiarise yourself with how Online works, and the sort of things you'll be doing.
    • After completing the introductory mission, you're free to do what you want with any other players in your server. There are many missions and jobs you can do to earn some money, as well as standard multiplayer modes such as Deathmatch, Race and GTA Race; all of which can be set as a free for all or a team based event by the host player. Unfortunately for us, Social Club was having network issues at this time, meaning it failed to download the mission/job data. My immediate thought was that this is bad, there are going to be millions of people online next Tuesday and there will undoubtedly be problems like this simply due to the sheer number of people trying to access it at once. I was pleasantly surprised to find out this doesn't completely break the game though. The rest of the game world is still open, you still have other players in your server too.
    • Most of us went our separate ways (in-game) and decided to rob some stores. This is a simple action. You simply enter a store and aim your gun at the clerk, he will then take money from the till and put it into a carrier bag, then throw it on the floor when the till has been emptied. This takes around 10 seconds to complete, but if you're wearing a headset you can shout into it (or just make any kind of noise really) and the clerk will feel more intimidated and get the money out quicker. After picking up the bag of cash, you can then walk out of the store and lose the cops. Be warned, this is America, many shopkeepers carry pistols and will begin shooting at you as soon as you grab the cash, so you better be quick. One time I was shotgunned out of the door!
    Quick GPS
    • GTA Online has a Quick GPS feature. Holding down the Back (360) or Select (PS3) button brings this menu up, allowing you to quickly set a waypoint on your map, or toggle various other Online only features. You can set a waypoint to the closest ATM where you can deposit your cash. Rockstar have made it clear that GTA Online is all about making money, and if you're killed, other players can take your on hand cash, so it's a good idea to deposit often. Something I noticed was that when I killed other players, they would always drop just $100, regardless of how much they actually had on hand. It's possible this was just a limitation of early build we played, it may well be in the final version that you do indeed drop all your cash. If you do get killed, you're able to initiate a one on one deathmatch with the person who killed you, this is another feature that doesn't require Social Club. I did this quite a few times, it's definitely a good fun way to get revenge.
    The Good Stuff
    • After a while we took a quick break and wandered up to the roof again and ate some food, and discussed our thoughts on the game so far. At this point, Nick seemed to be more concerned with starting an impromptu photoshoot, insisting I take a photo of him looking pensive over the city. After such fun and games, it was back to business. By the time we got back downstairs, the talented Rockstar server hamsters had clearly recuperated as Social Club was back online running smoothly. I decided to get started with a few missions, which I completed with other people in my server. I also got involved in some of the standard multiplayer game modes. I got completely owned in the few deathmatches I played, but they were pretty fun. I really enjoyed the Race and GTA Race modes. I enjoyed them in GTA IV too, but for some reason they seemed a lot more fun in GTA Online, perhaps I just prefer the map. I was able to dominate in the first GTA Race we did. It was actually a team GTA Race, which meant I had another player in my vehicle. I was the driver, my passenger was riding shotgun. Literally. Unfortunately the race was probably a bit boring for him, as I demonstrated my superior driving skills and got so far ahead he had nobody to shoot at. The next few races didn't bring me the same luck, though. I seemed to have a knack for getting taken out just a few corners into the race, and then having to fight my way back through to the front, I don't think I actually managed to win another race all day, but they were still great fun. For those interested in earning a little extra cash, you are able to bet on a winner of a match before it starts (I liked to bet on myself... confidence you know). If your bet is correct you'll win more money at the end.
    Rally
    • A new mode for races which I didn't personally try, but did watch others play, is Rally. This is a team race, one of you is the driver, while the other is the passenger acting as co-driver. You will need a headset for this as communication is key. Here's why: the driver has no directions on his screen, the co-driver gets arrows (left or right) popping up on his screen when a turn needs to be made. The co-driver must tell the driver which direction to go. It has the potential to be a pretty fun game mode, but I have a feeling it will only be good for those of you playing on Xbox 360 where you are guaranteed to own a headset. I've found on PS3, the vast majority of players do not use a headset, making this mode almost pointless for them as it will be more or less impossible to play without one. If you don't already own one, it might be worth purchasing a bluetooth headset, they're ridiculously cheap these days anyway.
    Other Bits and Bobs
    • Awards can be viewed from the pause screen. These are just your standard multiplayer achievements you'll find in pretty much any game, for getting X amount of kills with a particular weapon, winning X number of times in a certain game mode etc. Completing these challenges will give you extra points, helping you to level up quicker.
    • Unfortunately we didn't have access to the content creator, so I can't say anything about that, other than the fact it will be available at launch, and we're very interested in what people create with it. It certainly has a lot of potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

Rally
    • A new mode for races which I didn't personally try, but did watch others play, is Rally. This is a team race, one of you is the driver, while the other is the passenger acting as co-driver. You will need a headset for this as communication is key. Here's why: the driver has no directions on his screen, the co-driver gets arrows (left or right) popping up on his screen when a turn needs to be made. The co-driver must tell the driver which direction to go. It has the potential to be a pretty fun game mode, but I have a feeling it will only be good for those of you playing on Xbox 360 where you are guaranteed to own a headset. I've found on PS3, the vast majority of players do not use a headset, making this mode almost pointless for them as it will be more or less impossible to play without one. If you don't already own one, it might be worth purchasing a bluetooth headset, they're ridiculously cheap these days anyway.

Sheehy, hope ya got your headset sorted in the end!:P

Is there any chance this could be up and running at midnight or is some time tomorrow more likely?

Hard left up ahead ...... /crashes into ditch................ noooooo the other left :pac:

Is there any chance this could be up and running at midnight or is some time tomorrow more likely?
    I'll stay up to check meself, if I can't see anything happening come 00:15 I'm off to bed, it'll probably launched during the day. Might want to keep an eye open for game updates as there's meant to be some free DLC (clothes & that) coming with GTA Online.

• Advertisement

Hingo wrote: »
    Sheehy, hope ya got your headset sorted in the end!:P

Just got a new one there :D. Time for some epic trolling in Rally Mode!

CVG reported that Australia won't get GTA Online until Wednesday 2nd October. Sounds like Online will be out morning or afternoon in US making it Tuesday evening/night for us.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Hard left up ahead ...... /crashes into ditch................ noooooo the other left :pac:

I got a taxi last week(was sober) and I told him turn right just here - his choices were turn left(what I wanted) or straight ahead...

It took us both a second to cop on, but he had to go straight at that stage...:o

More info from a preview

Crew colour(s) and Crew emblem for your vehicles in LS Customs, pretty pricey but that gives you the push to make more money.
    Quick GPS to nearest ATM, Mod Shop, Ammu-nation & more.
    Passive Mode, allowing you to safely get to somewhere without being killed, though you can not kill others.
    Lots of Safe Houses & Garages around the map that you can purchase.
    You can purchase ammo and choose your starting weapon in lobbies.
    When losing a Wanted Level in Online, you will be rewarded with RP, it varies on how many Wanted Stars you had and how long the chase lasted.
    There are 500 missions already from the Online launch.
    You can sell vehicles in LS Customs.
    LS Customs sells car insurance as well as trackers for your vehicle, so if someone steals your ride, you can see where it is on the map.
    You have to buy a high-end apartment with a planning room before you can start the big heists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

200 KR1 100 KL2. If you understand what this means you can be my co-driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

200 KR1 100 KL2. If you understand what this means you can be my co-driver.

tumblr_ln9bhrY2kX1qbmmf6o1_500_zps7876c496.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Will this be out at midnight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Looks like Passive mode costs money to enter into.

I think it was $150 and I very seldom seen people using it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I cannot wait for a Rally Driver lets play from the achievement hunter guys. So much potential...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

OriginV wrote: »

Doubt it. I'd say it'll be late enough tomorrow, probably around 6 our time but it could be anytime. I hope to god its running smoothly tomorrow but don't be surprised if its not considering the trouble they had with the social club.

Can't wait, found my bluetooth mic last week. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I knew experience with Richard Burns Rally would come in useful one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

OriginV wrote: »

I doubt so. I can't understand why they don't just release it at midnight in the respective time zones instead of having to wait for america. Ease the game and servers in as the the midnight passes over the world. It will be the same with the bf4 beta. I can see this crashing worse than the Hindenburg seen as they couldn't even get social club working properly for a few days.

Richie6904 wrote: »
    I doubt so. I can't understand why they don't just release it at midnight in the respective time zones instead of having to wait for america. Ease the game and servers in as the the midnight passes over the world. It will be the same with the bf4 beta. I can see this crashing worse than the Hindenburg seen as they couldn't even get social club working properly for a few days.

I'll be happy with access to the character creation at least, get me self setup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Whatever happens, I'm the tennis king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

boo!!! i want it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

So its a no on the after twelve idea?

• Advertisement

So its a no on the after twelve idea?
    nope, no midnight launch this time around. Been looking around, cvg confirmed there'll be a 55mb download so when that kicks in we're on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this thread, playing fifa until I can play gta online can't wait. No college on a Tuesday so would hope its on by the time I wake up if not before I plan on going to bed haha

I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this thread, playing fifa until I can play gta online can't wait. No college on a Tuesday so would hope its on by the time I wake up if not before I plan on going to bed haha

My money is on 2pm mark. I'll be in work 😡

Okay, R* have spoken!

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51487/gta-online-details-game-day-access-info-and-more.html

Patch needed tomorrow so up to MS and Sony when to release but R* are guessing 7am ET so noon our time, approximately.

actual_1380327384.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

kenna_kilcar

PS3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Pretty good idea by R* to release the online two weeks later. Basically doubling the hype for the game.
    It also sounds like it's more-a-less another game, which is good from our point of view. Looking forward to sinking countless hours into the online now...
    PSN - Fiddy157 If anyone wants to team up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Can someone invite me to a crew? Lotabys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Who the hell would wanna be anything like john martsons son. Wuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭audioslave

Hi all
    Does anyone have any news or updates regarding the time that GTA5 goes online?
    From an official source, it was due to happen at 7am GMT today. Mine is showing the usual "this area will be unlocked once GTA online has launched"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Sony will need to host the game patch first. You can't access the online component without the patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

7am EST which will be 12 GMT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭audioslave

Cheers..sorry I totally misread that. Doh!
    Ive had it on since 8 this morning waiting for an update patch.

just booted up my xbox...... here calex have a 5mb patch !!!!!!!

Now theres an option to press A to play online when it loads up :pac:

said it on the other thread but here it is just incase folks missed it

XBOX is LIVE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement