Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between apartment and flat?

Options
  • 15-08-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two in terms of assessing market value? According to the PRTB website there's about €400 a month difference in rent between the two for a one-bed! I'm looking at a one-bed in a converted Victorian house.

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two in terms of assessing market value? According to the PRTB website there's about €400 a month difference in rent between the two for a one-bed! I'm looking at a one-bed in a converted Victorian house.

Ta.

open to correction

Flat - the bedroom and kitchen are in the same open plan area
    apartment - bedrooms, kitchen and bathrooms all have their own rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Unregistered39

kkelliher wrote: »
    open to correction

Flat - the bedroom and kitchen are in the same open plan area
    apartment - bedrooms, kitchen and bathrooms all have their own rooms

Hi there,

Wouldn't that be a studio? (thank you though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Hi there,

Wouldn't that be a studio? (thank you though!)

now you have me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

In England, I found the 2 terms "apartment" and "flat" to be almost entirely interchangeable, with one caveat: a bedsit was a flat but it was not an apartment. Otherwise, the terms were used synonymously.

In Dublin, the distinction is taken more seriously. "Apartment" tends to be used only for purpose-built flats, and not for flats in converted houses.

In both countries, "Apartment" is never used for council flats, even though these are often apartments in every normal sense.

That is my experience at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

There is none, though its come to mean flat is smaller and cheaper and something you rent, an apartment is bigger and more expensive and you buy or pay more to rent.
    Its all Celtic tiger nonsense. The Americans call all multi dwelling units Apartments and the British call them Flats.
    During the Celtic tiger developers advertised Flats as Apartments to make them seem more glamorous I guess and it stuck (and sticks in my craw!) along with Ugg boots and 4x4 cars for the school run.

When I was renting over 20 years ago Apartments were places "Friends" lived in on TV and Flats were places we live in Ireland and UK.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Thanks all. I'll get in touch with the PRTB. There must be a recognised distinction between the two for valuation purposes as they are listed separately. And that distinction may be the difference between me finding myself out of my flat/apartment or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ive always been of the impression that apartment was just a fancier way of saying flat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Flats on the Northside = Apartments on the Southside...

Apartments generally come with a management company who charge you a flat fee each year for services such as clamping you in your own parking space and telling you to take your washing in off the balcony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

djimi wrote: »
    Ive always been of the impression that apartment was just a fancier way of saying flat!

A fancier way or an upmarket way.
    And therefore, an apartment commands a high rent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Id agree with the above that it's just a fancier name.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Flats are generally in converted houses.

Apartments are purpose built, often in larger blocks.

Occasionally you get a hybrid of a expensively converted house with proper apartments but that would be unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Apsrtments can be sold individually, flats are generally in converted houses all owned by the same individual.

copacetic wrote: »
    Flats are generally in converted houses.

Apartments are purpose built, often in larger blocks.

Occasionally you get a hybrid of a expensively converted house with proper apartments but that would be unusual.

You see, this is what I thought, and it would be good for me if this was the case. I need a super definite answer though. Are you super definite? :)

You see, this is what I thought, and it would be good for me if this was the case. I need a super definite answer though. Are you super definite? :)

Well that's a pretty well accepted difference, but I couldn't say that is definitely how it is looked at for your case. The ony way to know that is to find it out directly in their information.

copacetic wrote: »
    Well that's a pretty well accepted difference, but I couldn't say that is definitely how it is looked at for your case. The ony way to know that is to find it out directly in their information.

The thing is I already live here, have done for years. The place has been taken over by a management company and my rent is being reviewed 'in line with market value'. The management company are going to check out the flat/apartment thing for me but while I wait for that I was hoping to put my mind at ease somewhat this evening! Not to worry. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Thanks all. I'll get in touch with the PRTB. There must be a recognised distinction between the two for valuation purposes as they are listed separately. And that distinction may be the difference between me finding myself out of my flat/apartment or not!

I think those boxes PRTB forms are just for stats( every PRTB form has a list of questions like size of dwelling, type etc.) rather than have a proper purpose. They also list masonettes which as far as I know there is less than 100 in Dublin. ( I actually know of one road that has about 20 of them in the whole of Dublin).

I would call a flat a room with everything in it( a small room as studios can be about 400-600 sq feet somethings) and has apartment several rooms and always a bathroom unlike a flat.

The thing is I already live here, have done for years. The place has been taken over by a management company and my rent is being reviewed 'in line with market value'. The management company are going to check out the flat/apartment thing for me but while I wait for that I was hoping to put my mind at ease somewhat this evening! Not to worry. Thanks!

I don't think they will look at definitions etc for that, they don't mean anything as they are averaged over wildly varying standards of properties. That's shy apartments are so much higher, there are plenty of low, medium and high spec ones. Whereas there are many less flats around and hardly any large or high spec ones.

They will look for similar places nearby, on daft, ask a quantity surveyor or local estate agent who is qualified to give a market value. I'm sure you can work out a market value yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Where i am is called an Apartment: open space living area and a masionette/small kitchen on one side....entramce hall to bedroom, bedroom area...bathroom off to side. Own entrance at front and rear.

I agree the term "apartment" is just a way to charge more....you'll know a flat when you see it, usually all crappy partitions, no sound proofing etc.

I was living in a bungalow for ten years, they are all different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

jd wrote: »
    Apsrtments can be sold individually, flats are generally in converted houses all owned by the same individual.
    And what about the flats in Ballymun - they were never called apartments.

Lots of advice/opinions - thanks all! I reckon my place, spec wise, is somewhere between a flat and an apartment. Let's see which way they lean...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

The Residential Tenancies Act 2004 has this list.
    (i) a description of the dwelling, indicating—

(i) the estimated floor area,

(ii) the number of bed spaces,

(iii) a statement as to which of the following categories it belongs namely, a whole or part of a house, a maisonette, an apartment, a flat or a bedsitter and, in case it falls within the category of a house or maisonette, an indication as to whether the house or maisonette is detached, semi-detached or terraced, and

(iv) the number of bedrooms,

It doesn't go as far as descriptions or definitions but does differentiate between maisonettes, apartments, flat and bedsitters.

Flats and bedsitters are never mentioned again. Maisonettes are mentioned a few times hand in hand with houses. Apartments are repeatedly mentioned in relation to apartment complex.

So, supported by the above, what several posters above had said and my understanding before I ever saw this thread.

Version 1
    An apartment is always in a complex with other apartments.
    A flat is a discrete domestic accommodation part of another building (could be a subdivision of an older house or a caretakers/granny flat attached to a larger house office or institution).
    Bedsitter is a single room accommodation (sometimes even with attached toilet:))
    A maisonette is just a two story flat.

Version 2
    Apartments are American
    Flats are English

Version 3
    Yuppies live in Apartments
    Poor people live in Flats

Cedrus wrote: »
    The Residential Tenancies Act 2004 has this list.

Version 1
    An apartment is always in a complex with other apartments.
    A flat is a discrete domestic accommodation part of another building (could be a subdivision of an older house or a caretakers/granny flat attached to a larger house office or institution).
    Bedsitter is a single room accommodation (sometimes even with attached toilet:))
    A maisonette is just a two story flat.

By this definition, I live in an apartflat, or a flapartment, if you will.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Lots of advice/opinions - thanks all! I reckon my place, spec wise, is somewhere between a flat and an apartment. Let's see which way they lean...

If you're buying it then call it a flat and when selling it call it an apartment:D

Generally I would go with Boulevardier's definition below

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

odds_on wrote: »
    And what about the flats in Ballymun - they were never called apartments.
    All owned by Dublin City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Supercell wrote: »
    There is none, though its come to mean flat is smaller and cheaper and something you rent, an apartment is bigger and more expensive and you buy or pay more to rent.
    Its all Celtic tiger nonsense. The Americans call all multi dwelling units Apartments and the British call them Flats.
    During the Celtic tiger developers advertised Flats as Apartments to make them seem more glamorous I guess and it stuck (and sticks in my craw!) along with Ugg boots and 4x4 cars for the school run.

When I was renting over 20 years ago Apartments were places "Friends" lived in on TV and Flats were places we live in Ireland and UK.

Many Americans refer to them as condominiums. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The old definition was a flat is an entire floor and an apartment is a section of a building floor. As people use the word interchangeably the meaning is lost and they both refer to a section of a building.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I always think of apts as the nice ones,whether in a converted house or not and flats as the less nice ones and the old type of council flats.
    it would be interesting how the PRTB distinguish them.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭penana

Isn't it just another example of the creeping Americanisation of the English language? For example, along with flats becoming "apartments," we now have "pharmacies" instead of chemists, "elevators" increasingly in place of lifts, and even on some supermarket shelves, certain types of biscuits suddenly being called, "cookies." But with any luck, we'll still know the difference between crisps and chips! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Flats are easier to spell!

In New Zealand, if I'm renting a house, standalone or not, then I'm more likely to call it my "flat" than my "house", cos calling it a house implies ownership. Dunno if the same distinction applies here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Supercell wrote: »

The assumed differences between flats and apartments have been around a lot longer than the celtic tiger. I certainly remember both in common usage 20 years ago and more.

Advertisement