Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between apartment and flat?

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

penana wrote: »
    Isn't it just another example of the creeping Americanisation of the English language? For example, along with flats becoming "apartments," we now have "pharmacies" instead of chemists, "elevators" increasingly in place of lifts, and even on some supermarket shelves, certain types of biscuits suddenly being called, "cookies." But with any luck, we'll still know the difference between crisps and chips! :)

No. Americanisation would mean we would call them condos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Conversation I have had with an English friend over many years, and we have looked into this extensively.

Three girls in our group of friends have bought apartments - these are purpose built dwellings. We resented him calling them flats.

Flats to us are a step up from bedsits.

Flats to him were the same as apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

I thought that a flat had it's own entrance. Whereas an apartment has a common entrance and then a private inner entrance. So the corpo flats have no entrance until you're in the actual flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Likewise granny flats etc. All have direct entrance, no private restricted common area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

3DataModem wrote: »
    Many Americans refer to them as condominiums. Weird.

AFAIK, they refer it as a condominium (or condo) when the occupier owns it, and an apartment if they're renting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

For me the distinction would have been that a flat was something built by the Council/Corporation and that everything else was an apartment, based on the fact that I never heard of a non-corpo or non-council flat.

Basically in terms of design/size/features etc there would be no actual difference between a flat and an apartment but that a flat was a type of apartment provided by the Council or the Corporation.

To me it it looks like there is no actual legal difference in Ireland between flat and apartment.

Given the wide range of answers so far, it seems that its one of those things that is open to individual interpretation and that there is no one correct answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Duckjob wrote: »
    AFAIK, they refer it as a condominium (or condo) when the occupier owns it, and an apartment if they're renting it.

to my knowledge a condo complex will have a number of shated amenities such as a pool, gym, larger gardens etc. Plus a seperate entrance to each unit (no shared hallways).

An apartment complex tends not to have these extra amenities and may have shared hallways...

Flats to me were allways older, primarily converted houses or poor quality 60's style attempts at high density housing. The use of the word apartment was introduced to seperate modern units from the stigma many associated with "flats"..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

marketty wrote: »
    Flats on the Northside = Apartments on the Southside...

Apartments generally come with a management company who charge you a flat fee each year for services such as clamping you in your own parking space and telling you to take your washing in off the balcony

I haven't heard Priory Hall called Priory Hall Flats and its well Northside.
    And you sound that you would be more suited to a Flat.
    I would prefer not to live in an apartment complex where people hang out their washing on the balcony. That's why I understand the concept of proper apartment management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    And you sound that you would be more suited to a Flat.

Em, thanks ??
    I'm more of a house man myself tbh.

Maybe the humorous intent of my post has been lost in the past few months

Advertisement