Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The bad affect on health of a desk job

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Can help turn your posture into sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I have found it certainly affects my shoulders and upper back. I have knots in my right shoulder cos I'm right handed, using the computer mouse, reaching for phone, writing, turning pages etc.

Keep meaning to get those curved mesh support things you put on the back of your chair, anyone know if they are any good? Can't really see myself sitting on an exercise ball or on a treadmill in my suit as one of the articles suggested!

TBH I never really thought of the effects on the heart (other than stress at deadlines) annd diabetes etc.

I do try to walk to work but it's very weather dependent. I am doing C25K at the mo and badminton will be starting back in a few weeks time.

Also, the hazardous paper cuts! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Its terrible for peoples health!!

You are not designed to be sedentary or sit in one position for a prolonged time.

I see many people with shoulder and neck pain due to sitting at a desk all day. The funny thing is when I give them exercises to do in work they feel embarresed doing them at first, but after a while I ask how they are getting on and they will tell me the whole office is doing them! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭kaiserrussel

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Its terrible for peoples health!!

You are not designed to be sedentary or sit in one position for a prolonged time.

I see many people with shoulder and neck pain due to sitting at a desk all day. The funny thing is when I give them exercises to do in work they feel embarresed doing them at first, but after a while I ask how they are getting on and they will tell me the whole office is doing them! :D

Hi calfmuscle, any chance you could share some of these exercises?

Ha I can't to be giving out medical advice I'm afraid. If you post where you are in the country I'm sure someone can recommend a good therapist in your area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭kaiserrussel

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Ha I can't to be giving out medical advice I'm afraid. If you post where you are in the country I'm sure someone can recommend a good therapist in your area.

By PM even?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

To be honest I'd take the health risks associated with a desk job any day over the health risks associated with many forms of manual labour.
    At least there are numerous things that can be done to assist in mitigating against some of the risks of a desk job, such as those outlined here, ergonomics, getting up for a walk around every now and again etc etc)

Sorry it would be irresponsible to give you any advice with out assessing you. If you are in pain go get some treatment from a physio who can give you advice on how to manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I was starting to slouch so I did body weight exercises to strengthen my back, it worked a treat. Sometimes my hand cramps up from typing. The best thing employers can do for health is throw out the vending machines, one office I worked in there was a vending machine full of junk on every floor no surprise the majority of staff were over weight!

Advertisement