Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive Limerick to Roscommon

• 15-08-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Looking at google maps the route through Gort Vs Nenagh take much the same time. Anyone know which route is best?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

I used to travel to Athlone a lot and tried the midlands and Gort routes always found the midlands route better.

With the motorway to Gort now that migh be chnaged but the road from Gort to Loughrea can be a nightmare.

My route was, straight through at Borrisokane and then take a right outside the town, bypassing Birr. Meet up with the Birr Athlone road at Cloghan.

It's a good hour and half to Athlone if that helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Is it Roscommon town or some other part of the county.

I have been travelling that route for more than 20 years, so if I had a bit more information I might be able to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Roscommon town. Just wondering which of the two routes to Athlone is the handier drive from Limerick.

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Is it Roscommon town or some other part of the county.

I have been travelling that route for more than 20 years, so if I had a bit more information I might be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

The road from Atlone to Borrisokane is poor and getting worse on both routes, whether you go through Birr or leave the N52 in Cloghan

By staying on the motorway M18 & M6 your roads are much better and the road from Gort to Loughrea is not too bad. You will have to pay a toll though going from Loughrea to Athlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭therunaround

You don't have to pay the toll from loughrea to athlone. Go loughrea to ballinasloe and get on motorway there, road is perfect. Or turn off in ballinasloe for Roscommon too without going as far as athlone at all(edit: this way is 15km shorter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I frequently do this route. I would go to Athlone, up through Borrisokane and onwards to Roscommon. Google Maps/Sat Navs frequenly mispresent the journey time. I would say 1 hr 25 mins from around Castletroyish area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I frequently do this route. I would go to Athlone, up through Borrisokane and onwards to Roscommon. Google Maps/Sat Navs frequenly mispresent the journey time. I would say 1 hr 25 mins from around Castletroyish area.

+1 for this route. Road isn't great through Offaly but you get used to it if you travel it often enough !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

FYI went up Borrisokane, back Gort. Found the Gort way the best as it was all Motorway except for the short stint from Loughrea to Gort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

wingnut wrote: »
    FYI went up Borrisokane, back Gort. Found the Gort way the best as it was all Motorway except for the short stint from Loughrea to Gort.

I don't like the Gort to Loughrea because it's 100km/h but nobody seems to do near enough to it and god help you if you get behind a truck. Also seeing as you were going to Roscommon, you may have had to get on the Motorway as far as Ballinasloe/Athlone(depending on which back road you took) and pay a Toll and although I might have said "take the old N6 to avoid the toll" you might not have or simply missed the old road.

Advertisement