Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington 700 sps tactical in .223

Options
  • 15-08-2013 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Sorry for all the different posts about tikkas , calibre choice etc.

A friend of mine gave me a buzz this morning and was asking if I was still interested in a .223
    He saw a Remington 700 sps tactical in a shop out his way and Im going tomorrow to have a look at it. Does anyone have any experience with one and if so how does it shoot? What kind of accuracy is it capable of at longer ranges?

Obviously if the gun doesnt feel right tomorrow I wont be buying, but Id just like to hear some experiences as the shop is quite a drive away and if its a nice gun Ill be putting some money down.

Thanks for any opinions/experience !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

You said you are a looking at a tikka.

Well comparing the sps to a tikka.... the real question is: do you want out of the box accuracy? or are you willing to invest some more money in aftermarket parts/upgrades.

If its out of the box accuracy you want then go for tikka.
    The SPS will need some work and upgrades to get it on the same level as the tikka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

Tikka feckin sold this morning and I told yer man to go ahead and get the other model in so I could have a look at it, he rang me back saying he couldnt get it then :mad:

I dont mind investing in aftermarket accessories , but I dont want to spend a bomb. Ill be buying a good mod and a good scope and bipod. Just wondering how it shoots out to 300 yards or so out of the box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

Tikka feckin sold this morning and I told yer man to go ahead and get the other model in so I could have a look at it, he rang me back saying he couldnt get it then :mad:

I dont mind investing in aftermarket accessories , but I dont want to spend a bomb. Ill be buying a good mod and a good scope and bipod. Just wondering how it shoots out of the box I suppose.

Depends what you want really, you say your looking long range shooting?

Probably want a new trigger. Maybe a new barrel. The sps is 20 inch barrel, you could get a new custom barrel maybe 26 inches. The action is decent enough, but a bit of work mightened go a miss either. A new stock or even a modular chassis if you really want to splash out.

Honestly, if its long range you want then you should probably pass on the sps.

insignia33 wrote: »
    Depends what you want really, you say your looking long range shooting?

Probably want a new trigger. Maybe a new barrel. The sps is 20 inch barrel, you could get a new custom barrel maybe 26 inches. The action is decent enough, but a bit of work mightened go a miss either. A new stock or even a modular chassis if you really want to splash out.

Honestly, if its long range you want then you should probably pass on the sps.

Haha so basically what you're saying is replace.....everything 1 piece at a time until I end up with a totally different gun :D

I was thinking maybe its abit too good to be true. The dealer is selling it for €850 which I thought was pretty cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Haha so basically what you're saying is replace.....everything 1 piece at a time until I end up with a totally different gun :D

I was thinking maybe its abit too good to be true. The dealer is selling it for €850 which I thought was pretty cheap.

Considering what you have to put into it in €, it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Take a look at the howa rifles. I know a few lads with them and they all shoot great.
    They have a good trigger thats adjustable and you can buy a barreled action and pick your own stock if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

OTOH ,how easier or expensive could it be to modify the Tikka to what you want compared to the Remmy??
    American guns like most of their cars are the basic platform and then you buy bits to make it into what you want tailored to you.Obviously a rather expensive proposition and procedure here in Ireland when it comes to both.
    But it doesnt mean you have to run out and do it all in one go either.Buy the gun shoot it,find what you like and dont like and then change it,as bank balance alows.

European guns OTOH are fine bits of equipment that are out of the box ready to go,most of the time.BUT try getting an accessory or add on bit for them and Kerrrching!!!:eek:
    It was one reason I went with an AR platform rather than a HK.Try getting genuine HK add on parts without breaking the bank in Europe.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

zeissman wrote: »
    Take a look at the howa rifles. I know a few lads with them and they all shoot great.
    They have a good trigger thats adjustable and you can buy a barreled action and pick your own stock if you wish.

Arent they only made in 1:12 twist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I've a tikka and I held a sps last Sunday. I wouldn't change it I personally rather the tikka because it was a toss up for me aswell. Now the sps is nice dont get me wrong but the tikka just sit right and felt right for me at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pnudj

I have a .223 sps tactical,when using Hornaday v max it shoots .75" groups at 100 yards, but I do find it a heavy rifle to lug around when lamping, if I was buying again I'd go for the tikka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Arent they only made in 1:12 twist?
    Yeah I think they are all 1/12.
    Some remingtons are 1/12 and some are 1/9 so if buying one check first.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I have a T3 1/8 in 223, and remmies in other calibres.
    I prefer the remmy as my Tikka is ammo fussy and has never really been accurate. Can't wait to get a different barrel on it.
    edi

Advertisement