Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insect Bites

Options
  • 15-08-2013 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

I live right beside the Curragh and recently have been noticing lots of what appear to be insect bites. I've checked for bed bugs (none) and mosquitos (none apparent) so I'm not sure what they could be from.

I was speaking with a colleague from work and he remarked that someone else that he knew had been in or around the Curragh recently and also had complained of insect bites.

Has anyone experienced the same or know of any possible causes? The bites resemble hives and stay red for at least a couple of days. They are quite itchy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Same here. I think it's mosquitoes -- they look and feel like mosquito bites, and it's the right time of year and the right weather. Lots of puddles.

I'm near the Curragh too, Milltown side (Milltown Feeder and Pollardstown Fen, great mozzy breeding grounds).

Things that make a person attractive to mosquitoes: Being pregnant, having O blood type, exercising (lactic acid in the sweat), drinking alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The Joe Duffy radio show today covered problems associated with insect bits and incidences.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Joe Public wrote: »
    The Joe Duffy radio show today covered problems associated with insect bits and incidences.
    Was it a shocking disgrace and a scandal, Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

endacl wrote: »
    Was it a shocking disgrace and a scandal, Joe?

It's not funny Friday yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Lepidoptera

Do you have any pets or live around any animals? It could be flea bites. Because of all the good and warm weather this summer, there has been a huge flea problem. While they don't live on humans, they need blood to survive, especially in the first 24 hours or they will die, so they'll bite anything. Warm weather especially triggers dormant eggs to hatch, and infected animals shed the eggs wherever they go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Do you have any pets or live around any animals? It could be flea bites. Because of all the good and warm weather this summer, there has been a huge flea problem. While they don't live on humans, they need blood to survive, especially in the first 24 hours or they will die, so they'll bite anything. Warm weather especially triggers dormant eggs to hatch, and infected animals shed the eggs wherever they go.

Hi. I don't have any pets but there are cattle nearby which may have some connection. it's a good possibility though, I'll try find it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

got bitten on the hand over 2 weeks ago...swelled up. Still not healed 100%

Advertisement