Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run over, Gunshots Travellers invade Newbridge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Jaysus that's rough, did the cops show up at all did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

As far as I heard No they never showed up. Arrests were made in past few days in relation to not moving their caravans but im sure something will have to be done about it. Just to say Newbridge is the base of the ARMED UNIT.

Oh I know, sure I live out the road from it ;) was that from all the caravans out in the curragh? counted about 50 the other day

Yup thats part of the same group they all from the UK and North and have booked out two pubs in the town so more of this over the weekend so batting down the hatches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Ah lads.
    It's their culture.

• Advertisement

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Yup thats part of the same group they all from the UK and North and have booked out two pubs in the town so more of this over the weekend so batting down the hatches

That explains a lot, I was shocked when i seen they'd left, I can see why

Going be war this weekend avoid the town this weekend word round the campfire is the wedding is on over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

As far as I heard No they never showed up. Arrests were made in past few days in relation to not moving their caravans but im sure something will have to be done about it. Just to say Newbridge is the base of the ARMED UNIT.

The RSU aren't based in newbridge. They are based in naas and patrol as far as Carlow iirc. Supposedly they were there shortly afterwards and the guard station is only a couple of hundred yards away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭2011abc

Gardai simply dont have the resources ...another byproduct of Govt sending billions of our money off to pay private unsecured debts ...have had a few situations in last year or two where phone at several Garda stations has rung out ...not life or death scenarios but I wouldnt fancy being in one and having to rely on a fast response ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Why are we waiting for the Gardai to do something about it? Where have all youre backbones gone? Here in Mayo we dealt with that little "Cultural" problem our own way and we havent had any problems yet.

By the way, Pavee point have a tab on their website called Media Watch whereby they trawl the media looking for stories that belittle Travellers. Is it not time we set up a site called Traveller Watch detailing all the Criminal acts which Travellers partake in every day.

The way in which Travellers feel they have the right to run riot in this country has gone way beyond what is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

guil wrote: »
    The RSU aren't based in newbridge. They are based in naas and patrol as far as Carlow iirc. Supposedly they were there shortly afterwards and the guard station is only a couple of hundred yards away

The RSU have officers that are based in Newbridge

greenpilot wrote: »
    Why are we waiting for the Gardai to do something about it? Where have all youre backbones gone? Here in Mayo we dealt with that little "Cultural" problem our own way and we havent had any problems yet.

By the way, Pavee point have a tab on their website called Media Watch whereby they trawl the media looking for stories that belittle Travellers. Is it not time we set up a site called Traveller Watch detailing all the Criminal acts which Travellers partake in every day.

The way in which Travellers feel they have the right to run riot in this country has gone way beyond what is acceptable.

They run riot all over the country and get away with it media are afraid of hurting their culture and its even censored here on boards sure this thread will be closed down because it mentions travellers. Its like those who shall not be spoken about. Imagine a settled person Shot a few shots out of a van and tried to run some people over, it would all over the headlines and they'd be arrested straight away but because its 'those who we do not speak of' its fine its their culture. The local radio, media nobody wants to report on this even though I know people have contacted the media about this along with the video. Over here in Kildare there is more backbone in a snail than the local population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Oh I know, sure I live out the road from it ;) was that from all the caravans out in the curragh? counted about 50 the other day

I passed the Curragh area earlier and didn't notice any caravans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

A serious anti-social presence in Ireland. A malignant "culture".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I've just heard, the rapid Response Unit have turned up at the scene :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

They run riot all over the country and get away with it media are afraid of hurting their culture and its even censored here on boards sure this thread will be closed down because it mentions travellers. Its like those who shall not be spoken about. Imagine a settled person Shot a few shots out of a van and tried to run some people over, it would all over the headlines and they'd be arrested straight away but because its 'those who we do not speak of' its fine its their culture. The local radio, media nobody wants to report on this even though I know people have contacted the media about this along with the video. Over here in Kildare there is more backbone in a snail than the local population.

Well, at least now, it's all over the meeja online ( as I type, this is the headline):

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/video-gardai-probe-shocking-footage-of-speeding-van-hitting-pedestrian-29504732.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The merits or demerits of traveller culture aren't for debate here, so check them at the door folks.
    If you can't limit yourselves to civilized discussion about the incident in question, then be prepared not to have it facilitated at all.

Thankfully the incident has been highlighted in the local media now and gardai are on the case. In fairness shouldn't be too hard to find these considering the amount of CCTV in that particular area. Really does raise the question why were the gardai not answering the phones ? Are they afraid or just under-resourced, under paid and moral in the force decimated by recent cutbacks by Mr Shatter it really isn't about who these people are in the video its how much disregard for the law and public safety these individuals had. Ireland is descending into chaos and its going to get worse imho.

• Advertisement

Thankfully the incident has been highlighted in the local media now and gardai are on the case. In fairness shouldn't be too hard to find these considering the amount of CCTV in that particular area. Really does raise the question why were the gardai not answering the phones ? Are they afraid or just under-resourced, under paid and moral in the force decimated by recent cutbacks by Mr Shatter it really isn't about who these people are in the video its how much disregard for the law and public safety these individuals had. Ireland is descending into chaos and its going to get worse imho.

I don't know You Jeff ( I think ) nor do You know me, as far as I know, but I am assuming we are both in Newbridge. Going by the video links, I would guess this truly disgusting incident ( which is doing nothing for the good of Beautiful Newbridge ) happened no more that 100 mts from the Garda Station.

Personally, and I am purely speculating here, I would say there is an element of fear and lack of resources being the cause for the lack of Gardai presence here. I believe that there is only ONE squad car in Newbridge, and heavens knows, due to cut-backs by the savagery of this government, how many Gardai are on shift now?

Your last sentence here scares the crap out of me as I fear You may well be right.

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I don't know You Jeff ( I think ) nor do You know me, as far as I know, but I am assuming we are both in Newbridge. Going by the video links, I would guess this truly disgusting incident ( which is doing nothing for the good of Beautiful Newbridge ) happened no more that 100 mts from the Garda Station.

Personally, and I am purely speculating here, I would say there is an element of fear and lack of resources being the cause for the lack of Gardai presence here. I believe that there is only ONE squad car in Newbridge, and heavens knows, due to cut-backs by the savagery of this government, how many Gardai are on shift now?

Your last sentence here scares the crap out of me as I fear You may well be right.

I have first hand experience on the dark side of irish society. For 2 years I worked with our police force , thankfully I left at a time before the current government took power. Shatter has excuse the pun shattered the policing system in this country. In 2010 things were bad resources and such but 3 years later things are worse. The gardai do the best they can but government support is just not there, armed units were set up to tackle this sort of thing but they are far between each other and there is far too little of them. Many incidents don't get reported because people feel retaliation against themselves. Although I do criticize the gards for some things I do know from experience that many of them are brilliant at their jobs and very dedicated Police Officers the sad truth is when your an unarmed officer up against people who are armed like a small army what do you expect the gards to do attack with pepper spray and a baton and then have to write a 10 page report on each incident, then face prosecution yourself for even drawing batons and pepper spray. Its not that there' re afraid its that the law is on the criminals side and they're seriously frustrated by this. When you have to push a garda car through a well known part of Dublin back to the station with close 500,000 miles on the clock with many of the locals pointing and laughing and geering you realize that the government really don't care about the welfare of its officers. Or when your work station which is ant infested and there is more clerical staff in a garda station than officers themselves. The Justice system in this country is a joke and there lies the problem dirty rotten corruption at the top. Newbridge is very under resourced and need more gards to meet and to cater for the population which stands at 21,000 in the town and a futher 3-4,000 on the outskirts. When your talking that kind of population and 3-4 Gardai on a unit per night crime is going to go out of control. Don't mind statistics they are only reported crimes and are only a guide. The Gardai need to be paid more given more resources, better training and better facilities to operate out of. This will never happen under Alan Shatters reign he is hell bent on destroying the force and giving all the resources to the Defence Forces for what ever reason. I salute many of the serving Gardai the do their best with s**t that is thrown at them from everywhere but their is always the bad ones like with everything. Anyway rant over ...phew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I'm not so sure. I have a funny feeling that if I run someone over on the pavement in Newbridge, under whatever circumstances you like, I'm not going to be at liberty for more than a few minutes. Might is usually "right" but it looks like the actual "might" is on the wrong side of the see-saw.

I was in a petrol station there yesterday and one of the "lads" was in filling his 131 reg car - he walked in ahead of me "to pay", and announced that he had "forgotten his card and couldn't pay" - the girl said if he didn't pay, she'd have to call the Gards. Yer man shrugged, said "do whatever you like" and walked back out to his car..and drove off. Not a bother on him. The girl behind the counter said it happens all the time and there's not a thing they can do about it. I'd like to see what would happen if I tried it.. it could explain why I don't drive a 131 and he does..paying for fuel and such like is probably an awful drag...

I was in a petrol station there yesterday and one of the "lads" was in filling his 131 reg car - he walked in ahead of me "to pay", and announced that he had "forgotten his card and couldn't pay" - the girl said if he didn't pay, she'd have to call the Gards. Yer man shrugged, said "do whatever you like" and walked back out to his car..and drove off. Not a bother on him. The girl behind the counter said it happens all the time and there's not a thing they can do about it. I'd like to see what would happen if I tried it.. it could explain why I don't drive a 131 and he does..paying for fuel and such like is probably an awful drag...

Just wondering why he walked into the petrol station if he had no intention of paying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Joe Public wrote: »
    Just wondering why he walked into the petrol station if he had no intention of paying?
    Because he had then "tried to pay" which blurs the situation away from just a drive-off which is clear-cut. If it ever did go to court(hah) then he can just claim he forgot his card and intended coming back later - making it very, very hard to even get to court, hence the gards not bothering. The whole no-fixed abode, same name as a hundred others and no idea who owns the car makes it a waste of time trying to get paid. It's a simple scheme, but it works. And it happens so often, it's ridiculous - there were 3 others who walked in behind him and did the same, so that was €200 of fuel gone in literally five minutes. All joking aside. :mad:

Joe Public wrote: »

You ask WHY Joe? Because HE KNOWS he can flaunt the system, he knows he's almost untouchable, and he's making a statement to that effect by what he did in front of You yesterday.

The scum of society IMHO. Only thing is people are afraid to open their mouths about this bunch. Ever wonder why the Independent won't allow comments on this topic?

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    You ask WHY Joe? Because HE KNOWS he can flaunt the system, he knows he's almost untouchable, and he's making a statement to that effect by what he did in front of You yesterday.

The scum of society IMHO. Only thing is people are afraid to open their mouths about this bunch. Ever wonder why the Independent won't allow comments on this topic?

I suppose the only answer is to enforce the pay before fill policy until they have moved out of town. This will piss off other people buying fuel but what else can be done? It is too much hassle for the Garda to get involved as they know they are on to a loser if they even try.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

So, as my whole request about the incident in question being discussed was roundly ignored.
    Guess what happens :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement