Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from PC to Mac to produce Dance music

Options
  • 15-08-2013 7:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11

For the past good few years Ive made or remixed dance music on the Pc using Acid Pro and Fruity Loops as my DAWs mostly. I feel the time has come to make the switch to something more grown up and Im loving everything I hear thats made on the Mac with Logic Pro.

Has anyone on here made the switch just for this software?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I can't see the necessity to spend that much money just to get Logic. FLStudio 11 is just as capable as any on the other DAWS such as Logic or Ableton. Plus you might find you don't like working with Logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Flash Studios

Hi Melody Maker.

It depends on your own personal preference really. Logic is great, however I know several producers that don't like it, not for a lack of functionality or it being a lesser standard - it's just an individual preference.

If the use of software is the only factor in whether or not you switch to Mac, then I would advise finding someone that has it already, and play around on it and see if you like it.
    There are other factors to consider though too, you will essentially be starting again, with software, plugins, instruments etc, as none of your windows stuff will work with OSX.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rob Humanoid

You'll have more options if you stay with a PC tbh (as well as it being a lot cheaper). I've a PC and Mac they both will do the job for ya'. :)

Any of the min DAWs will do you also.

In no particular order:
    S1.
    Cubase.
    Logic.
    Ableton.

I've used them all except for Cubase - But I finally settled on S1 as I love the work flow. It's all down to the producers knowledge and skill at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jpsr

I used a pc for a good few years, I started on reason, Just was'nt cutting it for me, then went on to fl studio and cubase. They are all great daws, but i wanted to try logic, so i bought a new mac and logic. I can honestly say it was the best thing i ever done, Its so easy to navigate around and i just fell in love with it.

Everyone is different, whatever daw works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

I would recommend staying with Fruity Loops and investing the money elsewhere, I am a Logic user myself though but the investment that I have already made makes it impossible to consider another option. Don't be fooled into thinking that FL isn't grown up though, it is an incredible piece of software and many pro producers swear by it - I was just reading yesterday that BT thinks it's the best thing on the market. If you're not getting the end results that you desire, it is very probable that your DAW isn't the reason for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Melody Maker

paulo6891 wrote: »
    I was just reading yesterday that BT thinks it's the best thing on the market.

The plot thickens :) BT is one of my favourite Dance artists ever, his Ima album was groundbreaking.
    If you're not getting the end results that you desire, it is very probable that your DAW isn't the reason for it.

After more than a decade of part time producing I think it is.

Ive had tunes that were signed and sold in decent numbers and Id like to get a more polished sound. I havent heard anything, Irish Dance music wise, that sounds as polished as UK/European equivalents, it just seems to sound so "wide" and full on Pro Logic ;)

I havent made the Mac plunge yet, its a big switch to make after years on the PC, but Im getting closer. Maybe a second hand one to begin with.

Thanks for all the replies so far and keep them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Irish Dance music wise, that sounds as polished as UK/European equivalents, it just seems to sound so "wide" and full on Pro Logic ;)

How do you know that the Irish stuff isn't produced with Logic? It may well be that some of the top producers use Logic as it is synonomous with Mac but at the end of the day if you are a skilled producer then your mixing and mastering skills are what will lead to a 'wide' sound, not the DAW. Having said that, if you want a change of scene DAW wise then the choice is yours.

mordeith wrote: »
    How do you know that the Irish stuff isn't produced with Logic?

He beat me to it.

Surely there are as many dance producers not using logic as there are ones who are using logic?

If you post a sample on here I'm sure some people will be able to tell you if it's DAW related or just a case of needing to practice more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Ill put it like this sh*t is sh*t no matter who's ass it comes outta of. Its like buying shoes for a race get everyone's advice but at the end of the day the only ones that will work for you are the ones that work for you! Am i making sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fluff_daddy

Would using Parallels Desktop [Lets you use windows on your Mac] not ease this transition? That way it gives you some comeback if you dont like the Mac etc

I am windows man too and contemplating switching to Mac but im scared lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

mordeith wrote: »
    How do you know that the Irish stuff isn't produced with Logic? It may well be that some of the top producers use Logic as it is synonomous with Mac but at the end of the day if you are a skilled producer then your mixing and mastering skills are what will lead to a 'wide' sound, not the DAW. Having said that, if you want a change of scene DAW wise then the choice is yours.

Want a "wide" sound, move your monitors further apart. Sorry couldn't resist.

I use Mac. No problems here. Logic is grand, though I have not had the time to demo logic x and doubt I will. There is alot of "Tools" I would use that are not available on PC.

Logic offline bounce is GREAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I don't really understand why people would change to a Mac for the purpose of using a different DAW. Are there features in Logic that are not available in other Windows-based DAW's like FLP, Ableton or Cubase, or are you just a fan of the Mac ecosystem and OS?

As has been mentioned numerous times above, a DAW is a DAW, it's what you do to it that gets results. If you're familiar and comfortable with your existing software and OS, why go through the hassle of changing both? Why not try a different Windows-based DAW instead? While I'm only getting back into writing stuff after an extended break, my DAW is certainly not the limiting factor in how well I produce and I can't imagine it ever will be either.

I wouldn't have thought that parallels would be designed for something so demanding as music production - wouldn't trust it - if you're buying a mac and looking for an escape route straight away, maybe you shouldn't be buying a mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Miloglow

I use a PC as my main production engine running Ableton but also have a macbook pro running Ableton and Logic and to be honest there is no difference really.

The only thing is, logic is only for mac. Pick which ever suits you. You will see a lot of people arguing for each side on which is better and for what reason, but the main deciding factor should be what do you want and what are your needs. Personally i find PC better because it is what i grew up on and i think it is a lot more open source when it comes to nice free plugins off the likes of KVR. I have some really nice simple plugins that I cant use on the mac because they are only PC based.

Also one last thing, don't buy a product just because your favorite artist/artists use it and you want to get similar results. You can only get similar results by working at it everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rob Humanoid

Miloglow wrote: »
    I use a PC as my main production engine running Ableton but also have a macbook pro running Ableton and Logic and to be honest there is no difference really.

This is it... I have both as well.

It doesn't matter what colour the cat is as long as it catches the mouse. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

no difference, Id recommend having a pc set up just for audio production and no internet or any other apps. keep it clean and running smooth. Macs tend to run smoother with no hardware/driver conflicts or malware

I went from pc to mac to pc to mac to pc! first mac was stolen, 2nd died prematurely. I spent 4000euro on macs and currenly use a lenovo desktop pc that cost me 60euro second hand, I dont think Id bother switching back

Advertisement