Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards needs a "Road Tax" rule.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I've always heard it expressed in conversation as "road tax" fwiw. I neither cycle nor drive, so don't have a horse in this race but I think the idea that people need to be forced into using legally precise terms is not a precedant that the website wants to set. What's next? We can only refer to the national soccer and rugby stadium as "The Aviva"?

There's nothing wrong with using the term "road tax" in conversation, and any cyclist or otherwise who criticised it's usage in such a scenario would likely be accused of being a grammar Nazi.

The problem arises when people knowingly use the term incorrectly when trying to claim that motorists should have precedence on the roads because they pay "road tax" and that's how the roads are paid for. It's at this point when people take issue, to point out that "motor tax" isn't intended to necessarily provide funding for roads, but to compensate everyone else for the negative externalities of car usage (hence why it's based on engine size).

In short, there shouldn't be a de-facto ban on the term. Action should be taken though when it's purposely misused for trolling purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

This is what trolling is reduced to these days? Arguing over an incorrect definition?

Good job in that case nods.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Jack Kyle wrote: »
    It suggests that there's a pro cycling agenda at play.
    Have you tried mentioning road tax in the Motors forum? You're more likely to get a reaction there than you are in the cycling forum. So there's clearly a pro road agenda at play.... Sorry, pro motor agenda

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sarky wrote: »
    This is what trolling is reduced to these days? Arguing over an incorrect definition?

Good job in that case nods.

Go onto some hardcore conservative Christian site and start asking about what mother means in regards to Mary. For optimum results pick a site that has a good mix of evangelical and Catholic Christians. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

One word springs to mind- Seriously?

Lots of other words spring to mind, but my Admin position precludes me from sharing them with you.

It is a local issue, related to specific forums, we do not want to go down the route of issuing site wide rules because two groups cannot agree. It's a slippery slope.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Here's the thing - I'm a petrolhead of sorts (old cars, though). I use the term 'road tax' regularly when having a laugh with my cyclist buddies. It's a running joke - because we both know the implications of using the incorrect term, i.e. that motorists own rule the roads.

Unfortunately this doesn't translate as the craic when you're having a discussion with Internet strangers. The web magnifies disagreements and what is innocent ragging on someone you know is trolling on a forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement