Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100% Clover lawn

• 15-08-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Has anyone seen a lawn made of only clover and zero grass. Need a low cost low maintance for a small from garden. Just wondering the actual height these 'micro clovers' grow to

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

At the moment my lawn looks about 95% clover.... and I sowed a grass lawn:mad:

On a serious note, it is definitely worth looking into, as it gives a lovely healthy green look to the lawn, and doesn't grow very high. (but you will still need to cut it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Qwerty? wrote: »
    At the moment my lawn looks about 95% clover.... and I sowed a grass lawn:mad:

On a serious note, it is definitely worth looking into, as it gives a lovely healthy green look to the lawn, and doesn't grow very high. (but you will still need to cut it)

Definitely a convert to clover, used to look on it as a weed, especially when in flower. However I now see it as beneficial. The amount of bees it attracts surpasses any other flower in most gardens

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

It wouldn't be low maintenance though, you'd be constantly weeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SeeZee

inocybe wrote: »
    It wouldn't be low maintenance though, you'd be constantly weeding.
    Really, more so then a grass lawn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Can you get varities of clover especially for lawns? The ordinary stuff in agri seed mixes will grow to a foot tall if you let it, horrid mess to get rid off then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SeeZee

Can you get varities of clover especially for lawns? The ordinary stuff in agri seed mixes will grow to a foot tall if you let it, horris mess to get rid off then.

They call it micro clover, pipolina. ~5inches max height. Still prity high for a lawn but i think its slower then grass to grow. I'd like a verity they grows shorter if there is one. Or get a look at a lawn if anyone knows of one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My lawn is mostly clover in places and other plants, I seeded it this spring but didn't put any weedkiller down. Theres loads of daisies now between cuts which personally i find very nice. Definitely think it better to let nature decide what to cover our open spaces with a little helping hand from ourselves to get it going :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm currently letting clover take over my lawn. the bees have been loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I presume these special clovers would be a type of creeping clovers like shamrock. The only problem I can see is that they tend to like very poor soils. I love walking in nature and the only low growing clovers I spot tend to grow on waste land . Have you thought of a chamomile lawn? That would give a lovely scent as you walked over it and would also look good

http://www.camomilelawns.co.uk/

Advertisement