Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freeview in gweedore

Options
  • 15-08-2013 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

hi all,
    i just bought a new tv and it is saorview and freeview, the saorview is working well with just an inside aerial, but what do i need for the freeview, an outside dish, i dont know.
    does anyone know what i need and what it could cost.
    i am in gweedorre
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

what people usually mean is Freesat - the UK channels:

http://www.freesat.co.uk/

you'll get all of these, give or take a couple.

you need a dish, yes and also a Freesat tuner (if yours doesn't do that). I'm in Derrybeg and get these channels. The satellite is Astra 28.2

That's the basic deal: you'll want a sturdy 60cm dish due to the winds/weather. There is a guy in Gweedore who sets 'em up - you'll find him through Molloy's TV in Dungloe. After that, it's all gags and features - if you want to record, you'll need a recording freesat box. If you want to record one channel and watch another, you'll need a dual-LNB dish. If you want to browse different satellites, you'll need a motorised dish yadda yadda

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

TroutMask wrote: »
    what people usually mean is Freesat - the UK channels:
    Well the OP did say they bought a new TV which had "freeview" which is digital terrestrial and can be got from the NI transmitters via an aerial in some parts of Donegal. Given the location and surrounding terrain I doubt if its possible to pick up any freeview channels.

Freesat via dish and satellite receiver can be got just about anywhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Aah yes, Freeview is the terrestrial one sorry! Kinda new to this dish stuff, but Freesat works fine here. The basic dish & receiver are pretty cheap these days unless you get into all of the extreme features.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Oh dont be sorry at all. Im still trying to get my head around all the terminology like Free To Air, Free To View, FreeSat, Freetime, Freeview etc and in fairness a lot of people refer to the free satellite channels as either free channels or, as you said, freeview.

You learn fast though when posting in the satellite forum as there's a couple of regulars there who would chew you for referring to the channels incorrectly :D

Advertisement