Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD taking forever to burn

Options
  • 15-08-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I'm burning a vid that is near enough three hours long, I knew it would take a while but this is taking the biscuit. I am using DVD flick to burn it, well it hasn't even starting burning yet, it is encoding the video and the audio, it took nearly 3 hours to encode the video for the last 4 it has been encoding the audio and it's only at 33%, by my maths that means its going to take at least 8 hours to finish encoding the audio. All the settings in the burner are correct as far as I know, thought it would take much longer to encode the video than the audio, something has to be wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I'm burning a vid that is near enough three hours long, I knew it would take a while but this is taking the biscuit. I am using DVD flick to burn it, well it hasn't even starting burning yet, it is encoding the video and the audio, it took nearly 3 hours to encode the video for the last 4 it has been encoding the audio and it's only at 33%, by my maths that means its going to take at least 8 hours to finish encoding the audio. All the settings in the burner are correct as far as I know, thought it would take much longer to encode the video than the audio, something has to be wrong.
    What kind of PC (processor/RAM/ Operating system) are you using for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

kippy wrote: »
    What kind of PC (processor/RAM/ Operating system) are you using for this?

i5 2.67gHz
    8GB of RAM
    and Windows 7

• Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭kippy

i5 2.67gHz
    8GB of RAM
    and Windows 7
    Right,
    Shouldn't be taking as long to encode and burn then.....
    I've honestly no idea whats causing it.
    What is your source?

kippy wrote: »
    Right,
    Shouldn't be taking as long to encode and burn then.....
    I've honestly no idea whats causing it.
    What is your source?

Not sure what you mean by what's the source, it's an .flv file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

All the settings in the burner are correct as far as I know, thought it would take much longer to encode the video than the audio, something has to be wrong.

Sounds like it's the re-encoding of the video that's taking long, not the physical burning of the DVD on to a blank dvd.
    It has to take the FLV file and convert it to MPEG2, writing the 4.5Gb image to your hard disk first, before writing that to the blank dvd.

I'd say you're running out of disk space.
    If you've anything less than 5 - 7Gb on your C: drive, I'd say disk space is the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

the majority of reviews here say its very slow:

http://download.cnet.com/DVD-Flick/3000-7970_4-10972785.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I think DVD Flick isn't multi threaded so it can be slow (I stand to be corrected). There is another free tool DVDStyler that may be faster. An i5 should encode 3 hours of video in a matter of minutes (assuming its a desktop quad core i5, a laptop dual core one would probably take longer)

Nick

Sounds like it's the re-encoding of the video that's taking long, not the physical burning of the DVD on to a blank dvd.
    It has to take the FLV file and convert it to MPEG2, writing the 4.5Gb image to your hard disk first, before writing that to the blank dvd.

I'd say you're running out of disk space.
    If you've anything less than 5 - 7Gb on your C: drive, I'd say disk space is the issue.

Okay just following up just in case anyone is having a similar issue. I gave up on DVDflick. And tried AVS2DVD instead, still wouldn't work. So I converted the file to MPEG2 as above. Then it was massively bloated so I put it through DVD skrink and burned the DVD using imgburn.

As above I am in the process of moving some stuff my another partition on my computer my C: drive is infact pretty full so I would say you are very possibly right about that.

Advertisement