Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are dogs allowed off leash on Sandymount beach?

• 15-08-2013 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

From what I've read, I'm 90% sure they are, but would like to double check; are dogs allowed off leash on Sandymount beach (Dublin)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

USPPQtU.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't know, but I'd say to use your discretion, don't let the dog off when the beach is pretty full, make sure they have good recall, and if someone official tells you to put the lead on put it on without arguing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

1.No person shall take or allow to enter on a beach any animal which is under their ownership or control, during the hours of 10.00 a.m. and 7.00 pm June to September inclusive.

2.Without prejudice to i. above, a Person in charge of a dog shall at all times ensure the following
    1.it is on a leash and under adequate control;
    2.it is not causing annoyance to any person using the beach or worrying, chasing, injuring or disturbing any animals, birds or other creatures on the beach;
    3.its faeces is removed and deposited in a litterbin or other receptacle, which may be designated for this purpose.
    So depending on when you want to go I guess (above is from the Dogs Unleashed website listing the bylaws for beach access for dogs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

sandymount strand is under dublin city council
    these are their bye laws

http://www.dublincity.ie/RecreationandCulture/AnimalWelfare/Documents/Control_of_Dogs_Bye_Laws.DOC
    3. A person in charge of a dog in an area specified in the First Schedule ... shall keep the dog on a sufficiently strong chain or leash ... except during the following times when the dog may be unleashed in such areas ...

January & December:
    8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    4.00 p.m. - 5.00 p.m.

February & November:
    8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    4.30 p.m. - 5.30 p.m.

March & October:
    8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    5.30 p.m. - 6.30 p.m. (Wintertime)
    6.30 p.m. - 7.30 p.m. (Summertime)

April & September:
    8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    7.30 p.m. - 8.30 p.m.

May & June /July & August:
    8.00 a.m. - 11.00 a.m.
    8.30 p.m. - 9.30 p.m
    FIRST SCHEDULE
    Any -
    (a) park,
    (b) garden,
    (c) open space,
    (d) field,
    (e) stadium,
    (f) seashore,
    (g) other place used for outdoor recreational or sporting activities,
    which is under the control of the Corporation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Edit: I posted this before reading subway's post. Below refers to the 2009 & 2012 bylaws.

I've read the legislation but cannot work out if it applies to Sandymount Strand or not.

The legislation that Nody quoted governs "Beaches at Booterstown, Blackrock, Seapoint, Sandycove, Forty Foot, The Ramparts/Hawk Cliff, White Rock, Killiney & Corbawn Lane and other designated areas along the coastline of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown in the County of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown" It doesn't say what the other designated areas are and it isn't clear to me if Sandymount Strand falls under this legislation.

Likewise, I cannot work out if the newer leglislation shown at http://www.dogs-unleashed.org/dear-supporters applies to Sandymount Strand either.

The newer legislation allows dogs to be off leash at any time on most of the mentioned beaches outside of designated bathing areas. Eg.

"Seapoint Beach:"
    "All Other Areas Non Designated:
    Dogs allowed off leash at all times, all year round but are required to be under effectual control per the Control of Dogs Act 1986"

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'd look for a sign up with the bye laws at the place you want to go, if theres no sign, then I'd assume its not part of the legislation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

That's all dlr legislation, not dcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

kylith wrote: »
    I don't know, but I'd say to use your discretion, don't let the dog off when the beach is pretty full, make sure they have good recall, and if someone official tells you to put the lead on put it on without arguing.

That is great advice.^^

I am on the beach (not in sandy mount) every day. If someone approaches me with lead on, I make sure my dog is called to heal. If they have lead off. It's sniff bum time.

Make sure you bring bags to remove waste, and be aware , the waste can become a bit messier if your dog likes to swim.

Advertisement