Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda struck by car in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Section 19 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994:

19.—(1) Any person who—

(a) assaults a peace officer acting in the execution of the peace officer's duty, knowing that he is, or being reckless as to whether he is, a peace officer acting in the execution of his duty, or

(b) assaults any other person acting in the aid of a peace officer, or

(c) assaults any other person with intent to resist or prevent the lawful apprehension or detention of himself or any other person for any offence,

shall be guilty of an offence.

“peace officer” means a member of the Garda Síochána, a prison officer or a member of the Defence Forces;

Don't know if that section would apply, as it was done with a car, and depending on the circumstances, it could be classed as attempted manslaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Section 19 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994:

19.—(1) Any person who—

(a) assaults a peace officer acting in the execution of the peace officer's duty, knowing that he is, or being reckless as to whether he is, a peace officer acting in the execution of his duty, or

(b) assaults any other person acting in the aid of a peace officer, or

(c) assaults any other person with intent to resist or prevent the lawful apprehension or detention of himself or any other person for any offence,

shall be guilty of an offence.

“peace officer” means a member of the Garda Síochána, a prison officer or a member of the Defence Forces;

Don't know if that section would apply, as it was done with a car, and depending on the circumstances, it could be classed as attempted manslaughter.

it could be classed as attempted manslaughter Am not having a laugh here and mayb I should have googled it first, but is there such a thing/crime as attempted manslaughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭naughtyfox

The garda was on duty so that section would apply and is taken very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

ardle1 wrote: »
    it could be classed as attempted manslaughter Am not having a laugh here and mayb I should have googled it first, but is there such a thing/crime as attempted manslaughter?

I should know this, but i'm having serious trouble recalling/finding the exact law that covers murder/manslaughter... I know it's common law (with a few amendments), but i just can't find it.

He could also be charged with Section 53 of the Road Traffic Act 1961, that is Dangerous Driving, and possibly Section 13 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997 - Endangerment, but i'm again unsure if there is a specific Act or Section which covers using a vehicle to cause an assault.

Now you mention it, and having given it a bit more thought, i'm not too sure if there is an attempted manslaughter law. I'll do a bit more research and get back to ya!

Advertisement