Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the best strimmer to get

• 15-08-2013 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi hope someone might be able to offer some advice on what is the best type of petrol strimmer to get for cutting long grass. I have a budget of around 300 to 400 euros, or would i be better trying to get one of the ones hire shops sell of at the end of the yesr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

might be worth looking at a stihl, fs 90 or fs 56 not sure how powerful the 56 would be for your needs, is it very heavy stuff you want to clear?

With a stihl you shouldn't need to buy another one for a good few years, I like the build quality on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

I've a Stihl FS56. It's a brushcutter so you get the option of using a metal blade or the nylon strimmer line. Not sure if it cost €450 or €350.
    No problems whatsoever, unlike my previous one or ones I've hired. Starts by the third pull on the cord.
    I'd avoid the hire shops.

not sure if I am allowed to recommend a company on here so if anyone wants the name of a good stihl dealer that I buy off all the time (i am a pro user) and no I am not related, I live the other side of the country to them then msg me and I'll tell you who to contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭eggox

monkeynuz wrote: »
    not sure if I am allowed to recommend a company on here so if anyone wants the name of a good stihl dealer that I buy off all the time (i am a pro user) and no I am not related, I live the other side of the country to them then msg me and I'll tell you who to contact.

Hi thankyou for the replys, its old meadow land with brambles and docks everywhere with the odd bit of wire. Looks like a stihl it is then.would be gratefull for some suppliers thanx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Try here:
    http://www.stihl.ie/dealer-locator.aspx

The best dealer tends to be the closest, as you'll need to have the strimmer serviced annually. (You don't want to be travelling 50 miles when 5 will do).

• Advertisement

Try here:
    http://www.stihl.ie/dealer-locator.aspx

The best dealer tends to be the closest, as you'll need to have the strimmer serviced annually. (You don't want to be travelling 50 miles when 5 will do).

Not when all 3 or 4 dealers in your area (nearest one to me is 40 miles away) have useless product knowledge and also vary the rrp of the item by up to €250 in their favour.....

I deal with a firm across the country becauser the service I receive from them is excellent, they actually value me as a customer rather than an inconvenience and get the stuff delivered to me faster than the "local" dealer can get it from the distributors.

Also one of the local dealers didn't even bother to phone me back when I was enquiring about €3000+ of equipment for my business and then they only want to sell you what is in stock rather than what you want.

So that is why in my opinion the best is not always the nearest.

Also if I need my stuff serviced I have a really good local guy who is not a Stihl dealer that can service my gear but also I am servicing some of my equipment myself.

tbh 2 stroke machines only require a plug and filter change most of the time and most domestic users will never get their gear serviced anyway because alot of servicing places will charge €100+ to service a strimmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Sorry to hijack this thread OP but would appreciate some help.

I also have long grass/scrub/thistles etc on a sloping rocky site of over 1 acre. Would most still recommend Stihl? I'm looking for a heavy duty/commercial type brushcutter as I want something that will do the job properly, the first time and if possible, reasonably easy to start, push button would be perfect. thx.

Advertisement