Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undercover Boss

Options
  • 15-08-2013 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Accidentally came across some info recently which wasn't intended for me. It seems one colleague has been keeping a close eye on the rest of us and reporting everything back to management.

None of us were doing anything too out of line... The usual stuff like personal calls / internet use during working hours, leaving on time (god forbid) or 'watching the clock' until it's time to go home...

I can't confront the person as it will reveal that I had access to information I shouldn't have. But I also won't be able to get along with this person knowing what they're truly like.

The company is in trouble and the morale & atmosphere have gone downhill rapidly in the last few months - this has just made things 100 times worse.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Or should I just ignore it and get on with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If it was me....... Id keep stump and just watch out for the snitch.

Play it smart and you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

have you told anyone else?

ignore and get on with it or get leverage over the guy snitching

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

Haven't opened my mouth to anyone. If I said anything it would turn the focus on to me and look like I was snooping. Admittedly I should not have read on when I initially came across said info but curiosity got the better of me when I saw my name mentioned!!

Feel so scrutinised all the time. I dread going to work. And the opportunities elsewhere aren't exactly plentiful!

I don't understand how I could use this info to gain leverage over the snitch?...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No get other info on him that if management got wind of he'd lucky to be in a job. Then sit on that info until you need to use it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Run off a "I know you're a snitch" on plain paper of the printer..
    Leave it on his/her desk...

However... as a manager you'll always find some guy with loose lips who likes a chat... jesuus, some don't even relaise their hanging their mates :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tempnam wrote: »
    Accidentally came across some info recently which wasn't intended for me. It seems one colleague has been keeping a close eye on the rest of us and reporting everything back to management.

<snip>

The company is in trouble and the morale & atmosphere have gone downhill rapidly in the last few months - this has just made things 100 times worse.
    Some people with commitments will do anything to keep a job, and as bbam said, they may not realise that they're hanging their mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭onefourreal

tempnam, kill or be killed. what i have done in a situation similar to yours is use the snitch to your advantage. eg. a couple of years back i made up a story of how i was offered a job with a rival firm to the snitch. low and behold he sent the word back.i then proceeded to look for a pay rise which.. i got.
    This snitch is a me feiner and only cares about no.1.
    If i was you i would do my level best to hang the snitch before he/she hangs you.
    Furthermore it is a poor reflection on your boss if he/she has to engage the services of a snitch.he/she obviously does not know their business.

This isn't just a case of loose lips or someone not realising what they are saying. This is intentionally directed to management with the intent of highlighting others' activities.

There is also the issue of nepotism with this individual. They wouldn't have normlly been employed (IMHO) except for this fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I would be slow to do anything about this tempnam, you said yourself that your business is in trouble, the last thing you want to do is cause trouble for yourself. You said in your OP that you shouldn’t have been looking at the incriminating evidence, so there is no way to broach this subject without incriminating yourself. To those saying, get dirt on the snitch… what does that solve? You’re only being as bad as him then and lets be honest, if there is nepotism involved, the management are probably going to take the snitch’s word over yours anyway.

The snitch is a total snake, but I don’t think there is anything to be gained in trying to play him at his own game, I think you would just be adding to your stress and make morale even worse. If I were you, I would just put your head down and get on with your work. Don’t engage with this person beyond what is strictly necessary. Hopefully he will begin to cop on that he has been rumbled and might start to think about his actions. Have you told your co-workers about this yet?

I feel for you, as I have issues in my own work with management making us feeling uncomfortable with snooping and it’s not a pleasant way to work. But I am just trying to keep my head down and get on with things.

tempnam,i know your anguish of working in that environment.
    one thing i will say to you is keep a diary, so if the gun is pointed at you.you will have record of all the positive work you do.

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    I would be slow to do anything about this tempnam, you said yourself that your business is in trouble, the last thing you want to do is cause trouble for yourself. You said in your OP that you shouldn’t have been looking at the incriminating evidence, so there is no way to broach this subject without incriminating yourself. To those saying, get dirt on the snitch… what does that solve? You’re only being as bad as him then and lets be honest, if there is nepotism involved, the management are probably going to take the snitch’s word over yours anyway.

The snitch is a total snake, but I don’t think there is anything to be gained in trying to play him at his own game, I think you would just be adding to your stress and make morale even worse. If I were you, I would just put your head down and get on with your work. Don’t engage with this person beyond what is strictly necessary. Hopefully he will begin to cop on that he has been rumbled and might start to think about his actions. Have you told your co-workers about this yet?

I feel for you, as I have issues in my own work with management making us feeling uncomfortable with snooping and it’s not a pleasant way to work. But I am just trying to keep my head down and get on with things.

I haven't said a word to anyone - and it will probably stay that way TBH.

If someone told me details of confidential material they had seen I'd be just as concerned about their actions as those of the snitch! So I can't say anything without making myself look like a snoop!

Think I'll just keep my head down, mouth shut and eyes & ears open!

This sounds terrible but with any luck I might get made redundant and be forced to go get another job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I'd do nothing about the snitch, but be aware of the fact there is a snitch, and tell the snitch all the great things I do.

If the business is in trouble you need the info of your good deeds somewhere, if the snitch has this good info you, and as channels to management then you might have a better chance if jobs start going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I've been in a similar situation. Thing to do is do your job as normal - without using the company phones or internet for personal purposes. This will give her nothing bad she can report back.

I haven't said a word to anyone - and it will probably stay that way TBH.

If someone told me details of confidential material they had seen I'd be just as concerned about their actions as those of the snitch! So I can't say anything without making myself look like a snoop!

Think I'll just keep my head down, mouth shut and eyes & ears open!

This sounds terrible but with any luck I might get made redundant and be forced to go get another job!
    Is there any way you could give your co workers a heads up without revealing what you know? Something along the lines of "John seems very pally with the boss, i'd be wary of what I'd say in front of him" I feel bad that they could be still incriminating themselves in front of this snake.

But other than that, I think you're doing the right thing. No point in getting involved in a war over this, you aren't going to come out the winner. It sucks though... why must work be so difficult!

ncmc wrote: »
    Is there any way you could give your co workers a heads up without revealing what you know? Something along the lines of "John seems very pally with the boss, i'd be wary of what I'd say in front of him" I feel bad that they could be still incriminating themselves in front of this snake.

But other than that, I think you're doing the right thing. No point in getting involved in a war over this, you aren't going to come out the winner. It sucks though... why must work be so difficult!

Everyone knows what this person is like with regards to being into everyone's business - but I don't think any of us knew how far they would go until I got wind of this reporting back.

The question is, how can I say anything to others without giving away what I know!

Everyone knows what this person is like with regards to being into everyone's business - but I don't think any of us knew how far they would go until I got wind of this reporting back.

The question is, how can I say anything to others without giving away what I know!
    If everyone knows what he is like, then you probably don't have to warn them that much. Unless you could just say something like, "I wouldn't be surprised if John was going back and reporting to the boss". You're not really telling what you know, but giving them a warning all the same.

Other than that, don't risk getting yourself in trouble by telling them. Chances are, they are careful around the snitch anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, is it possible that the person has in fact been asked to report back, and part of the official or unoffical duties? Especially if it's a relative, thsi is possible.

And some life advice for ya: in EVERY company, there is someone (sometimes multiple people) who acts as the eyes-and-ears of senior management. You should always assume that such a person exists, and work on identifying who they are. Then use them at times when you believe it's important for senior management to know something.

All that's unusual about your situation is the level of detail beign provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭chunkylover4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I don't understand how I could use this info to gain leverage over the snitch?...

forget about starting a war or printing things out to leave on their desk etc. You have an advantage here. Yo know this person is watching and taking notes. Use it wisely. Play the game. ;)

tempnam, use the snitch to your advantage,secondly it is mostly an ego trip for managers to know every "stir".they are human too!!Most importantly of all you have nothing to worry about if you are making money and not wasting any for the firm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement