Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Marinise an engine?

Options
  • 15-08-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm posting this on behalf of my Dad. He's an BMW engine that he's looking to put into his boat....

"Has anybody marinized a 530 turbo charged diesel engine? and if so what were the pitfalls and the cost or do they know of anybody that will provide that service.."

Cheers,

B.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Although many people over the years have used car and truck engines in boats it's not really worth the effort or money nowadays, for insurance sake you would have to change the electrics to marine like the starter motor, alternator and so on you would also have to buy a heat exchanger or marine manifold to fit the engine as you will never get enough air through a rad to cool it down.
    Marine engines are also built with tougher camshafts and bearings as they spend most of their time on full rev's where a car engine would be half that.
    In my opinion it would work out cheeper to just buy a marine engine with all the fittings than trying to convert a car engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

a lot of boats have ford cargo engines 80 or 120hp they can handle the high revs and are cheap to replace ud pick one up for 500 or 600.

Advertisement