Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Madden 13 Superbowl III

Options
  • 16-08-2013 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭

Coaches Gordon Bombay and Jim Moonbeam shot stares of contempt with a tinge of respect across the field at the University Of Phoenix Stadium.

The coin toss was won by Jacksonville, who elected to kick.

Green Bay took the ball at the 23 and worked their way up the field with some nice passes, Rodgers identifying his favoured targets early on with Jennings and Finley getting touches. Rodgers had worked the Pack into the red-zone, but unfortunately for them they would come away empty handed as Amari Spievey saved a TD with a jumped route INT. Now the Jags had their chance to stamp their authority on the game early on.

And stamp they did. MJD tore up the Packers D with 68 yards on his first 6 carries. Like Rodgers, Tebow had marshalled his squad to the red-zone, but the Packers run D found itself and held them to a field goal.

3-0 Jags, end of the first quarter.

Rodgers hated himself for throwing an early pick and took his anger out on the Jags secondary. Combining with Jones, Jennings and Finley, the Packers found themselves back in familiar territory, but this time with different results, as Greg Jennings hauled in a pass on the same play that saw Spievey get a pick the last time, this time Rodgers was on the money. 7-3 Packers.

Not to be outdone, MJD continued to have his way, big gains and key first downs, and Tebow had a few nice completions over the middle to Heath Miller and Marcedes Lewis, the latter being stopped at the 1 yard line before Tebow snuck over for a TD. 10-7 Jags.

Rodgers was clearly trying to respond every time the Jags landed a blow, and he was having some success moving the ball, but an over-eager pass in the face of pressure saw Speivey grab another vital pick for Jacksonville, and after more good work from MJD, Tim Tebow connected with Heath Miller for a pass over the middle and Jacksonville had some breathing space. 17-7 Jags with a minute left on the clock in the 2nd half.

Aaron Rodgers knew the Jags would get the ball to start the 2nd half, and like a man possessed, he marched the Packers downfield and found Greg Jennings for the 2nd time, a massive success for Green Bay, pulling to within 3. In response, the Jags had 30 seconds, and cautiously worked their way into FG range to kick one as time expired.

Half time: Green Bay 14-20 Jacksonville.

Jags receive at half and waste no time getting into the redzone off of more stellar work from MJD, showing that his injury in the Conference final was not an issue... Until... The red bar of doom. INJURY TIME OUT. The entire nation holds it's breath, the star of the show, the man of the hour has gone down... Cinderella is at the ball but she has gone down with a torn pectoral... MJD is out for the game. Famous for his rousing speeches, Gordon Bombay pulls his 2 backup running backs to the side. Slow, motivational music from a Disney score plays as Bombay ralleys Ben Tate and Justice Lewis. This is their time. Tate runs for a short gain before taking the ball to the house on an 11 yard carry. 27-14 Jags!

The Packers are in desperation mode now, they need a score. Their anxiousness leads to a 3 and out, and the Packers are forced to punt. Jags now know a TD can seal this game, but after a sack they have 3rd and 15, Tebow throws... PICK 6! The Packers are back in it!

27-21 Jags at the end of the 3rd quarter.

The Jags thought they had it in the back, but once MJD went down it suddly became much tougher. One man stepped up to the plate, and that man was rookie HB and 4th round pick, Justice Lewis. 1st down after 1st down, his running forced the linebackers to commit which left Heath Miller all alone and he rumbled for 30 yards into the red zone. With the focus on Miller, Marcedes Lewis was left with too much space and Tebow found him in the endzone to give the Jags some much needed breathing space. 31-21 Jags.

Now the Packers really needed to respond. One nice play earn a first down, next play, Rodgers spots Jones streaking through the middle, he throws, and out of nowhere jumps Daryl Smith to grab a huge pick for Jacksonville. The momentum behind them, Tebow marched them downfield, before Lewis was called on to set up the victory, he finished it off from 18 yards. Jags up 41-21 with 2 mins left.

From here on out it was going to be really tough for the Packers, and when Aaron Ross picked off a pass intended for Jordi Nelson, the game was all but over. Forced to punt, the Packers had a chance to buff the score, but Antwon Blake grabbed a pick on a deep ball to allow Justice Lewis to run out the clock.

The final score 41-27. The Jacksonville Jaguars are Superbowl Champions!

20130204-super-bowl.jpg

Game stats:

Passing:

Tebow - 13/18 for 259 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT.
    Rodgers - 14/28 for 266 yards, 2 TD, 5 INT.

Rushing:

Jones-Drew - 16 att 138 yards
    J.Lewis - 10 att 91 yards 1 TD
    Tate - 5 att 15 yards 1 TD.

Rodgers 5 att 54 yards
    Benson 4 att 3 yards.

Receiving:

Miller - 4 rec 78 yards 1 TD.
    Jennings - 8 rec 137 yards 2 TD.

Tim Tebow is named Superbowl MVP.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2iBVZ_JE8rLYjtCpBPy6YxAXoQ7miTZGbIZCJX73uaNXdlkdy7A

A statue of Gordon Bombay, the Minnesota Miracle man, is erected outside EverBank Field.

Nelbert, great game dude. Really tense affair. Your QB rushing kept me honest but my secondary stepped up pick time. I felt MJD's running (and Lewis after he went down) left gaps over the middle for my TE's which gave me some big conversions. All in all it was a close game, closer than the score suggests, and congrats on making the Superbowl after having the #3 pick, that's great stuff. Good luck in Madden 25 and I look forward to playing you again!

Also want to say a massive thanks to Ben, Berty, Adrian and Heli (hope I didn't forget someone) for running such an enjoyable franchise. I'm drunk and emotional right now (not really) but this was my first year properly playing Madden online and I've learned so much because this sub-forum is awesome. Cheers lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Congrats Mikey and hard luck Nelbert.

I said at the time that the trade the Jags made for Tebow right at the beginning of the franchise was a brilliant move. Personally I'd always found him great to play with on Madden 13 and his clutch trait makes him very hard to stop in the last two minutes of the game. What did you give up to get him Mikey? Whatever it was it was worth it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

My QB runs were only because there was no one open! I hate running out of blind panic cause it usually results in a fumble!

MD Jennings is an absolute disgrace! Linebacker covering short and he's suppose to be covering your TE over the top. Beaten consistently by your TEs and with that and your run game you'd a great balance.

I was calling all sorts of plays (from within a couple of formations) and hot routes a plenty (even as I was leaving the huddle before getting to the line!) and still couldn't get decent seperation.

A mix of great coverage, bad reads and desperation led to the INTs.

Run and pass mix was horrible to play against as your formations gave no clue as to which it was likely to be!

Great offense and a great defence. Well deserved Super Bowl champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Paully D wrote: »
    Congrats Mikey and hard luck Nelbert.

I said at the time that the trade the Jags made for Tebow right at the beginning of the franchise was a brilliant move. Personally I'd always found him great to play with on Madden 13 and his clutch trait makes him very hard to stop in the last two minutes of the game. What did you give up to get him Mikey? Whatever it was it was worth it anyway!

I gave up a first round pick for Tebow, ended up being a 30th overall pick.

I was laughed at...

tumblr_lx7hf6ssLy1qm8vuso1_500.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done lads, especially mikey. Great performance to win the superbowl with what were one of the worst teams in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I gave up a first round pick for Tebow, ended up being a 30th overall pick.

I was laughed at...

tumblr_lx7hf6ssLy1qm8vuso1_500.gif

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80854895&postcount=34

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81345732&postcount=8

I knew, I knew..... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

You saw the vision Paully, for that I thank you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah we'll done mikey, a very nice win and nelbert very unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Congratulations Mikey ! Hard luck to Nelbert, no disgrace in losing to a a lad who is considered by all to have developed into a really top player.

Advertisement