Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to bring up H1B transfer in interview process?

Options
  • 16-08-2013 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and has some advice to share…

At what point in the interview process is it appropriate, and not shooting yourself in the foot, to bring up that you will need the company to "transfer" your current H1B to them?

I'm currently on an H1B, but with itchy feet. I've researched a lot online about the process, fees, timelines etc but would love to know if anyone has had experience bringing up the visa situation in an interview, and made it through.

I've made it past an initial phone interview with a recruiting manager for this job in particular, next is to speak with my potential supervisor, then if I make it through that, an in-person interview with a number of team members there.

When (and to whom) should I bring it up? How do you convince them to go ahead with it? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Hmmm

You should probably have mentioned this to the initial interviewer. They probably passed you on as they assumed you were PR. You can't convince them. Either they have a policy in place or they don't. My company takes in Inter-company transfers (L - full time) or H1B as contractors to fulfill a specific need. There is no way of convincing them otherwise (ie my job would never go to a H1B as it is a permanent role)

TBH, i think you should reach out to the recruiting manager and tell them directly (the first one you spoke with). Remember that your potential new manager AND team mates will be busy people, and you don't want to waste their time. You could be surprised and be told that it is no issue, or you may have to endure with old job for now until something else comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 catreelo11

Got it, I thought that might be the case, given it's not really something my potential teammates can speak to. I just hope they don't think I "conveniently" forgot to mention it :s

If anyone has done it and succeeded, I'm still all ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

My company takes in Inter-company transfers (L - full time) or H1B as contractors to fulfill a specific need. There is no way of convincing them otherwise (ie my job would never go to a H1B as it is a permanent role)

H1b roles need to be a permanent and not based on any specific contract. What your company is doing is illegal and contrary to the information they need to supply to USCIS to receive a H1b.

catreelo11 wrote: »
    Got it, I thought that might be the case, given it's not really something my potential teammates can speak to. I just hope they don't think I "conveniently" forgot to mention it :s

If anyone has done it and succeeded, I'm still all ears!

I changed rols a couple of years back. I was fully upfront before the interview and explained what was required to transfer me. Allot of companies to balk at the idea of doing a visa or are overwhelmed at the idea. Some don't mind and will continue to interview you. Certain industries and companies with larger resources seem more open to the idea, although I have work for two SME's with turnover of less than 20 and 10 mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 catreelo11

Thanks Darren. It's a newish tech startup but they secured some huge funding a few months back. I'm gonna say it to them before I speak to the next person, better to get it out in the open.

How did you find the timeline between accepting an offer, sending in your application, giving your notice and getting the receipt and actually starting work? Did you need premium processing, or did it go through quick enough?

• Advertisement

catreelo11 wrote: »
    Thanks Darren. It's a newish tech startup but they secured some huge funding a few months back. I'm gonna say it to them before I speak to the next person, better to get it out in the open.

How did you find the timeline between accepting an offer, sending in your application, giving your notice and getting the receipt and actually starting work? Did you need premium processing, or did it go through quick enough?

You need to check with an immigration lawyer to be sure. If they have no revenue and are completely based on angel investors, they may not be able to sponsor you.
    As regards to your question for transfer. After you get your labor cert and I129 into USCIS, you can begin to work for your new employer as the change may take quite a while to approve. I think mine took 6 months. Check it out further on uscis.gov

Advertisement