Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light bulb blew within minutes of being replaced

Options
  • 16-08-2013 6:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭

The main light (Phillips Softone 20W Energy Saver - a bit under bright for it's purpose) in my living room went the other day and I replaced it last night. It was about 4 years old, so I put it down to one of those things.

Within 10 minutes, there was a click and then a snap and the light went out. Initially I though the circuit breaker had tripped, but no, the new bulb (Solus Ecohalogen 105W, 1900 Lumen) had gone.

My initial suspicion would be wiring, although humidity was very high at the time. I'm guessing the wiring is about 30 years old, although the circuit breakers are 4-5 years old.

Would I be right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That, or a dodgy bulb. Before getting a sparks in to check the wiring, another bulb would be a cheap test. If the new bulb works, you probably don't have an issue, and you've saved the cost of the electrician. If it doesn't, you've only lost the price of another bulb, and you should probably get things checked out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

It is hard to think of something wrong with the wiring in your home that could have done that would have contributed to this.

As above, it is most likely a faulty bulb (possibly damaged from excessive shaking during transit).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

2011 wrote: »
    As above, it is most likely a faulty bulb (possibly damaged from excessive shaking during transit).
    And I was so careful to carry it in my top shirt pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Victor wrote: »
    And I was so careful to carry it in my top shirt pocket!

Feck's sake Victor! Electrical safety 101!!

Light bulbs are carried in the ar5e pocket. Always. Don't sit down.

Advertisement