Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Achill

Options
  • 16-08-2013 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

I'm heading to Achill Island for a few nights at the end of the month (31st August - 3rd September) and we're staying in Ferndale in Keel. We definitely want to rent bikes one of the days and see a bit of the island that way. We'd also like to do a bit of fishing if possible (neither of us have ever really fished before!) Is there anything else that people would recommend? What about pubs and restaurants? We'll be there Saturday, Sunday and Monday night so presumably Saturday will be the busy night. Anywhere in particular we should go? We've heard great things about the restaurant in Ferndale so we'll eat there one of the nights but it's a bit on the pricey side so would like somewhere a bit easier on the pocket the other nights!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I'm heading to Achill Island for a few nights at the end of the month (31st August - 3rd September) and we're staying in Ferndale in Keel. We definitely want to rent bikes one of the days and see a bit of the island that way. We'd also like to do a bit of fishing if possible (neither of us have ever really fished before!) Is there anything else that people would recommend? What about pubs and restaurants? We'll be there Saturday, Sunday and Monday night so presumably Saturday will be the busy night. Anywhere in particular we should go? We've heard great things about the restaurant in Ferndale so we'll eat there one of the nights but it's a bit on the pricey side so would like somewhere a bit easier on the pocket the other nights!

ill get back to you later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

- Loads of places to rent bikes about the place. If you want to see some good views i recommend the atlantic drive, its a big cycle from keel but you can rent bikes in achill sound.
    - If you want to fishing check this guy out http://www.achillanglingandboattrips.com/

- Pubs - check out lynotts a real old fashioned pub , its very small and worth a visit. the tagline is No radio. No TV. No phone. No food. Just craic. you will need a taxi to it i your not driving and it doesnt open till evening.

Whats else to do if your interested the http://www.achillislandagriculturalshow.com/ is on the weekend your in achill in keel so you could walk down to that.

never eaten in ferndale so i cant comment, achill cliff house is nice as well but if you have vegetarian friends i have heard it doesn't cater too well for them.

hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Thank you so much!

Advertisement