Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Food

• 16-08-2013 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi we have a 5 month old Choc Lab pup. Currently feeding him Royal Canin which is way over budget. We've tried him on other food but he seems to have a very sensitive digestive system and I end up with a shovel in the garden scrapping if you know what I mean. Any suggestions or experience in changing over to a different food or suggestion for a replacement which isn't going to be too expensive. When we change him back to the Royal Canin his digestive problems clear up straight away. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

You cant change over in the space of a day you need to mix the food over the space of a week or more gradually increasing the amount of the new food/old food mix.

I would only feed foods which are wheat free, personally I feed Lukullus now and my dog does great with it, I feed dry food only mixed with some scraps from the dinners .

I have fed Orjen before and that's a great food, excellent quality, unfortunately the dog was slightly constipated on it so had to change to lukullus.

Taste of the Wild is worth looking at too.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ants Murray

Great I'll try that ... I have a funny feeling there may have been overfeeding going on as we were away on holidays and left him with his "grandad" so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Have a dog with similar issues, have found Burn's food to be less -ah - bulky in the shovel department, whilst not causing digestive problems :) Works out at around €30 per 7.5kg bag from our local vet, no idea how that compares to Royal Canin I'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Great I'll try that ... I have a funny feeling there may have been overfeeding going on as we were away on holidays and left him with his "grandad" so I'm sure that has something to do with it.
    Its very likely, only the owner who feeds him every day would know the amounts correctly.

Im a big believer in feeding the dog the correct amount, once in the evening and if the bowl isn't empty or almost empty a short time later then your feeding too much.

Bowl emptied within 2 mins every single time .... Think Labs eat whatever is in front of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi we have a 5 month old Choc Lab pup. Currently feeding him Royal Canin which is way over budget. We've tried him on other food but he seems to have a very sensitive digestive system and I end up with a shovel in the garden scrapping if you know what I mean. Any suggestions or experience in changing over to a different food or suggestion for a replacement which isn't going to be too expensive. When we change him back to the Royal Canin his digestive problems clear up straight away. Thanks in advance!

I feed my cocker Burns.... have done for about 5 years now.... i get it from Zooplus.ie i pay €96 for 30KG lasts me nearly 7 months with free delivery, while it seems like its expensive to begin with , ie the initial cost of €96, it is infact far better value in the long term...

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Also recommend Burns. I had my lab x on Royal Canin with disasterous effects. Much easier to deal with on the shovel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

whatever you feed him, you are now aware of his sensitive digestive system, I would be ultra careful when changing food, to do gradually, and go for the 'sensitive' options in the range you find to suit your budget.
    Look at the ingredients on the back of the packs - MOST important - look for what has the lowest cereal content for example (sensitive tummies are often due to cereal intolerance) and compare. There are a lot of FISH/RICE combo's out there that are gentler on tummies
    I give my ultra sensitive dog JAMES WELLBELOVED Rice/Salmon Senior for treats (no cereal). Look on this site for suggestions for good dry food ranges - People with dogs with sensitive tummies are recommending, ARDEN GRANGE, JAMES WELLBELOVED, CALL OF THE WILD, ARJEN etc - do your research, search for prices online/delivered. What you feed your puppy/dog will make all the difference in his wellbeing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

aonb wrote: »
    I give my ultra sensitive dog JAMES WELLBELOVED Rice/Salmon Senior for treats (no cereal).

I'm assuming you mean potato and salmon since rice is a cereal? ;)

Just to update we gradually made the switch to Burns over the past week with no ill effects. Thanks all for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement