Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

daithijjj wrote: »
    Im baffled how he hasnt had a kick in the first team yet, for me a much brighter prospect than Alberto from what i have seen of both. And i think its fair to compare as they are only months apart in age.
    The real question I would be asking is why Alberto was signed at all. Suso (who is a year younger) is totally dominating matches in La Liga despite playing with a bunch of donkeys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'd have liked another midfielder, to be honest, but I'm looking at our squad. Definitely better than last season and not as easy to rule out top 4 for us. We look tidy enough to do well up until January and who know what happens then.

Feeling a lot better than 2 weeks ago.

Not as easy to rule out top 4, if we can keep important players fit
    I think our problems might come later in the season when strength in depth is more important. Thats where Spurs would have the edge over us

We're playing pretty badly so far, passing has been brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

How much did we pay for Aspas by the way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

FSG are not going to spend money in advance like that. It would be against their religion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Looks like we're done unfortunately.

I think we'll rue the window as a missed opportunity by season's end.

How exactly would you see it as an opportunity missed? Opportunity to bring in more quality first teamers (or marquee) signings? Or do you more mean that a couple injuries could leave us in trouble?

I feel we could do with another cm. though it's a tricky one because Lucas and Gerrard are key members of the starting 11 and we only have 1 game a week til January. It'd be difficult to bring in someone of a sufficient quality and give them enough game time to keep them happy.

Besides that I think our squad is looking very healthy. Especially considering were only ~20 games away from the January window, it'd take a lot of bad luck injury wise to end up short of options in any position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

A lw by trade would have been nice but the two big things for me have been done, adressing the defense issue, (weather itll be resolved is another thing) and keeping hold of suarez. Am a very happy fan going into the international break for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Another mid of starting quality would have been an excellent window IMO. I hope your wrong but I do have a lot more confidence in this team than 12 months ago.

I think Moses is a decent addition......put it this way our bench on Saturday was pants. Now add Sakho, Moses, Toure, Suarez and llori to that squad and its much better.

A top quality CM midfielder would be make it a very good window.

I'm not sure was one ever on the cards though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Lukaku on loan to Everton is doing the rounds. If that happens, I'll find it strange we wouldn't have been interested. I'd be over the moon with our forward options if we added him.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just turned on SkySportsNews. They would do your head in with "Sky sources understand" etc, they haven't a clue tbh. Time to turn on 5live and listen to proper journalism :D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Rodgers' delight at deadline day deals

Brendan Rodgers declared himself delighted with Liverpool's transfer business after a busy deadline day saw the club recruit three new faces – with the possibility of further arrivals before the close of the window.

The Reds completed deals for Mamadou Sakho, Tiago Ilori and Victor Moses on Monday and the manager was left highly satisfied with the day's events.

Rodgers also confirmed work will continue into the night on strengthening the squad even further before the 11pm BST deadline.

Brendan, it's a busy day - three players have come in. How pleased are you that you were able to complete those deals?

I'm obviously very pleased. The window this summer has been very productive for us. Sakho who we've brought in was probably a surprise for many people because he was highly rated at PSG and a French international player.

With the likes of him and Tiago Ilori, we've got one eye on now of course - you have to have a sense of the present and what we've got here are some really good centre-halves - but we're trying to build something here. Those two players, especially Sakho, can play in the team now, but we've got one eye on the future as well.

Young Ilori is a wonderful talent - he's a good size, he's elegant, strong, quick and can play the type of football we want to play. He was very much a coveted player throughout Europe. Those two players will add something to us, for sure, and make sure there's real competition in the defensive department of the team.

We've got Victor Moses on loan and he's a young player that I've known from when he first came into the country. I had him train with me at Chelsea for a few weeks when I was a youth coach there. He was at Crystal Palace and we wanted to sign him at Chelsea, but he ended up staying at Palace, which was a good move for him because he played in the first team, did very well and then got a move to Wigan.

So I've been aware of Victor for a long time and know his qualities. He's the type of offensive player I like - he's got terrific skill with the ball, is a wonderful technician and can go left side or right side. The crowd will love him because he wants to beat players, but he also has a real work ethic to him. We were delighted he became available at Chelsea because he is a player that can do very well for us.

You mentioned Mamadou Sakho was highly thought of at Paris Saint-Germain - how much of a coup was it for you to get him?

I think it's a massive one. He is a player they were not wanting to lose, but he'd made it known he wasn't going to sign another contract and it's something that our people here at the club were very much on top of. It's great thanks to them, their hard work and perseverance that we were able to attract someone with that calibre. He's a French international, he's played a number of their games, a player I know was very important to PSG. They brought in some other players so his game time was limited. At his age, the potential he has and his attributes - he's really powerful, quick and offers us balance as well as he can play left-side centre-half or at left-back - means there is real hot competition, not just in games but every day in training, and that will see us improve.

You said recently bringing in another attacking player could perhaps allow Philippe Coutinho to play as a No.10 - will Victor Moses allow that?

Victor can play anywhere across that front line, but probably his best position is on the left cutting in onto his right foot. That may allow Philippe more opportunities to play as that third man and be the connection between our midfield and front players. Philippe is a wonderful talent, he's a young boy who joined us in January of this year and has been fantastic. So hopefully that [Moses deal] will allow him to move inside, but there are going to be games where he'll play in a number of positions. That's the type of players we try to bring in - intelligent footballers who can play in a number of areas on the field - but Philippe will get the opportunity to play more in that No.10 role, which is probably his preferred position.

Strength in depth is a phrase often used in football - do you feel you have that now?

We've certainly got more competition and as a manager you always want more, but we're more than happy with the business we've done. We've added freshness to the group. What we were looking to bring in was hunger - even though Kolo Toure is 32, he's very hungry to succeed. I'll be happy when the window shuts, to be honest, then we'll have all of our players - and we've done great business over the course of the summer - and we'll run with that until January and see where we're at then. I'm sure we'll look to strengthen again and finish off the second part of the season like we did last season.

So a few hours of the window left...any more business?

There won't be much more. We may look to bring one more in and we're just waiting on the go-ahead for that from the other club, but apart from that we did a lot of work early and haven't tried to leave it all to this mad day which sees the whole of football go berserk. We've tried to be controlled and get the players in as early as we possibly could. It means I can go and enjoy a nice evening at the Bill Shankly dinner and look forward to seeing some of the great players of the past and some members of Bill's family. It should be a good evening with all the signings done.

Awful from Peterson there, he had options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

a quality lwf would have been nice but I'm not sure if it's necessary. Am I the only one who sees Suarez starting a lot of games on the left of the front 3? I think he'd cause defenders a lot more trouble playin on the left than he would on the right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

rarnes1 wrote: »
    A top quality CM midfielder would be make it a very good window.

I'm not sure was one ever on the cards though

Agreed hopefully that will be sorted for January. All in all we can't complain with our transfers in and most importanly keeping Luis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    So a few hours of the window left...any more business?

There won't be much more. We may look to bring one more in and we're just waiting on the go-ahead for that from the other club

Ah but which club?

HT, 0-0.

Very poor performance to be honest. Lloyd Jones has probably been the best player on the pitch. Everyone else has been average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Not as easy to rule out top 4, if we can keep important players fit
    I think our problems might come later in the season when strength in depth is more important. Thats where Spurs would have the edge over us

Obviously getting everything we wanted in the one window would have been ideal and far preferable but assuming we are still in the running for fourth or *gulp* higher(shhh let me dream) in Jan, we may well find it easier to attract the targets we want . Perception is nine tenths, spurs managed to sign the players they have despite not being in the CL because they are considered a good bet to get into it this year , if we are still flying in january the players we want will be more willing to say yes and fsg will be more willing to splash the cash.

I'm optimistic by nature. Sue me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah but which club?

villa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah but which club?

Given related?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

If our Forwards has to drop deep to collect the ball then our Midfield is not doing it's Job properly.

No. 1 Culprit is Lussey. He makes Roddan look like a Quality Player.

opr wrote: »
    Lukaku on loan to Everton is doing the rounds. If that happens, I'll find it strange we wouldn't have been interested. I'd be over the moon with our forward options if we added him.

Opr

Would be bizzare if we went for Moses over him. Could be nonsense though

Claire on LFCTV says that there is perhaps 1 more Signing to come, according to Brendan before he left.

Who could it be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

The real question I would be asking is why Alberto was signed at all. Suso (who is a year younger) is totally dominating matches in La Liga despite playing with a bunch of donkeys.

Not a huge fan of Alberto myself, but Suso will benefit from that loan more than sparodic appearances for us & U21 games. My main gripe with Alberto is that I don't see where he fits. Not exactly quick enough to play wide and not as good as Henderson or Coutinho in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Would be bizzare if we went for Moses over him. Could be nonsense though

Apparently chelsea were humming and hawing over loaning moses to us as they saw us as a rival apparently, they would have never loaned us lukaku if true. Besides sturridge>lukaku ;)

• Advertisement

If our Forwards has to drop deep to collect the ball then our Midfield is not doing it's Job properly.

No. 1 Culprit is Lussey. He makes Roddan look like a Quality Player.

Is this your first time watching Lussey? He's having a bad game and hasn't developed like many thought he would over the last year but comparing him to Roddan? Lussey is a really technically gifted footballer with a huge array of passing ability and the other is a destructive midfielder with very little else to his game :confused:

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Claire on LFCTV says that there is perhaps 1 more Signing to come, according to Brendan before he left.

Who could it be?
    Shay Given
    who i think would be a good back up keeper
    & a good character to have around the younger players as he always spoken highly of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    There won't be much more. We may look to bring one more in and we're just waiting on the go-ahead for that from the other club.

I was getting excited there until the penny dropped that it's probably Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

You dont need to tell me that, i was saying that in July, i was trying to compliment Teixeira rather than put down the other. Like with all other signings, these lads dont pay for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

GTR63 wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of Alberto myself, but Suso will benefit from that loan more than sparodic appearances for us & U21 games. My main gripe with Alberto is that I don't see where he fits. Not exactly quick enough to play wide and not as good as Henderson or Coutinho in the middle.

Its hard to judge what type of player Albeto will turn out to be, as I haven't seen enough of him. Think he's had less than an hour of game time but what I have seen, he looks to have a great eye for pass.

• Advertisement

In fairness while Suso may have been a better option for us this season I think getting full games week in, week out at a battling club where he has to dig in will aid his overall development much better. Whether we have the strength in depth is questionable but at the end of the day we should be looking at our youth players in what they will give us over the next 10 years, not just what we need this season and how we can aid that development best with the longer term in mind.

Opr

Dunn hits the woodwork.

Teixeira looks crocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

we have turned into Loanerpool this transfer window
    we have
    Assaidi
    Suso
    Reina
    Borini
    Coady
    Robinson all on loan
    & bought Moses & Cissokho on loan

1-0 Leicester.

We were totally asleep there. This is one of the worst performances I've seen from us in a year.

1-1

Teixeira scores from a free kick from a ridiculous angle.

Wow, super freekick from Tex.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Has anyone got links to Alberto's performances in whatever he's played in the first 4 games?

Can't seem find Henderso v United link of anyone has that on hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

MD1990 wrote: »
    we have turned into Loanerpool this transfer window
    we have
    Assaidi
    Suso
    Reina
    Borini
    Coady
    Robinson all on loan
    & bought Moses & Cissokho on loan

No loss to us any of them and 2 in are of a decent quality imo especially moses.

Sama loves to kick the ball long, but surprisingly has had good range today.

Sama loves to kick the ball long, but surprisingly has had good range today.
    Then follows it with just about the worst first touch you could ever imagine :P

• Advertisement

opr wrote: »
    Is this your first time watching Lussey? He's having a bad game and hasn't developed like many thought he would over the last year but comparing him to Roddan? Lussey is a really technically gifted footballer with a huge array of passing ability and the other is a destructive midfielder with very little else to his game :confused:

Opr

I've seen plenty, he just never stood out for me.

Roddan maybe technically-limited, but at least you see him about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Anyone know any legit highlights of the man u game? Missed it, would love to have a look. Thanks. By PM if against rules.

finally started playing since Leicester got their goal.

Just heard on 5live - Ashley Williams is going nowhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

That'll be the best bit of business Rodgers doesn't do this window.

Game gone flat again, we need to make a change.

Shay Given is OFF says 5live

repeat Shay Given is OFF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Sequeira has gone to Benfica on loan with an option to buy apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No Given according to BBC 5Live. Danny Murphy is in the studio and you can watch the studio on the red button. United supposedly offered £40 Million for Khedira according to Spanish radio, cue rise of the eyebrows from Danny!

Interesting insight on players moving and stuff like that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anyone know any legit highlights of the man u game? Missed it, would love to have a look. Thanks. By PM if against rules.

Dont think it's against the rules, mod feel free to snip if it is.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/liverpool-1-manchester-united-0-motd/

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement