Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Suarez is officially still a pool player.

Nice :)

More important than all our new signings combined.

Top 4 come on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

@neiljonesecho: I'm told #LFC signed on a young centre back, Rafa Paez (19), who has been on trial at the club this summer. Will go into U21s.

Remember watching him play, tall and built like a ****brick house, from madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Will be interesting how Brendan uses the new recruits!

Anyone think Cissohko will be be used mostly in an advanced position on the left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I wouldn't have called it a very good window for you guys but after today, not a bad one either.

A top class attacking player, a decent GK and a physical CM (As much as that was never happening imo) would have been what was needed on top of all else for a very good window in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Everton did very well!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Not sure how Fellani is a panic buy. Quality player.

Hes a notch abive average at best imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sky praising the balls of Everton for getting 27m for Fellaini.

In my eyes, 13m on McCarthy is a lot worse than United paying 27m for Fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Suarez is officially still a pool player.

Nice :)

PA-12968718.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

50f06e87afa96f2f45000052.jpg

My god this thread feels like this right now :D long may it continue .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Grand business this window in the end. Very pleased we'll have Suarez for a few more months at least. Borini to Sunderlnd could turn out good for us. Sakho, Mignolet & Toure all look to have been good business, plenty of potential in the other signings, and Moses is the icing in the cake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Can anyone post some stats on Ilori, particularly his tackling. Watching his Youtube videos and I don't think I've seen him make a tackle. He seems to be in the Paolo Maldini type mold..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Fellaini is a good player but Moyes played him up front at Everton. So is it a front three of Fellaini in the middle with Rooney and RVP on each side? Kagawa in the hole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fairly happy.

New attacking options (albeit unproven), defence siginificantly improved, upgraded goalkeeper and we still have the best player in the league to return.

We will be back in January and make a few more tweaks undoubtedly.

Oh and top of the league! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Chelsea weren't to loan a player like Lukaku out just so he can spend most of his time on our bench. It would be a waste of his development.

Pulis was on 5Live about players prepared to sit on a bench rather than get first team football, Ba exemplifies that. He wouldn't go to a club outside the CL, so Lukaku had to go. Brilliant for Everton, I'd be raging at Ba sitting on the bench collecting a Chelsea cheque if I was a Chelsea fan.

So Everton aren't a rival, Lakaku will bang in the goals again this season, Chelsea fans will be looking at Ba and wondering what might have been.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'd trade:

Moses
    Sakho
    Ilori
    Alberto
    Aspas

For Ozil.

**** it, I'd have been happy to keep Reina and have Carra delay his retirement for a year to get Ozil. Ozil is in the Suarez shelf.

You'd have taken an Ozil or Wilian signing over Sakho, Ilori and Moses? I suppose hipster type signings go down with the demanding, Sky Sports Breaking News type fan.

An Ozil type signing next year when Suarez goes, yep, no doubt, not now when everybody was screaming about CB's and DM's and how poor Reina was, no. We've a limited budget, we can't make huge profits on what we've got to sell, you'd be up in arms if Suarez was sold, we can't afford luxury signings.

It isn't about finances, I don't care if we do splash £30-40 Million on a marquee signing, I do care if that means we spent zilch on other areas of the pitch that need addressing now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jones
    Jones
    Reina (loan)
    Mignolet

Johnson
    Johnson
    Kelly
    Kelly
    Enrique
    Enrique
    Robinson(Loan)
    Cissokho
    Agger
    Agger
    Carragher
    Toure
    Skrtel
    Skrtel
    Sakho
    Coates
    Ilori (in effect)

Lucas
    Lucas
    Gerrard
    Gerrard
    Hendo
    Hendo
    Shelvey
    Alberto
    Allen
    Allen
    Şahin

Ibe
    Sterling
    Sterling
    Assaidi
    Moses
    Downing
    Aspas
    Suso (loan)
    Coutinho
    Sturridge
    Suarez
    Suarez

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Liverpool-FC-Training-Session-2224900.jpg

From BR on the LFC site.
    we've done great business over the course of the summer - and we'll run with that until January and see where we're at then. I'm sure we'll look to strengthen again and finish off the second part of the season like we did last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Well we were very weak in defence last season at times and BR has certainly addressed this. Toure, Llori, sadko, Sissoko and new goalie is seriously a big shakeup. Hopefully the guys can settle in quickly.

Its a pity we couldnt get that player into the team who would add 20 goals BR said all season he wanted in. I dont think it was lack of trying but just shows how vital getting back in CL will be. Hopefully moses will be a very shrewd signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wow. Utd thread now attacking Liverpools business.

Poor lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

K-9 wrote: »
    You'd have taken an Ozil or Wilian signing over Sakho, Ilori and Moses? I suppose hipster type signings go down with the demanding, Sky Sports Breaking News type fan.

An Ozil type signing next year when Suarez goes, yep, no doubt, not now when everybody was screaming about CB's and DM's and how poor Reina was, no. We've a limited budget, we can't make huge profits on what we've got to sell, you'd be up in arms if Suarez was sold, we can't afford luxury signings.

It isn't about finances, I don't care if we do splash £30-40 Million on a marquee signing, I do care if that means we spent zilch on other areas of the pitch that need addressing now.

I'd have taken OZIL. Ozil, you know that ****ing world class German wizard who would become automatically our second best player and one of our best signings of the past 20 years (up there all time tbh).

You get a chance at a player like that you take it. So, yes, if it was a choice of standing pat and bringing him on in or signing a bunch of squad filler and a couple of upgrades I'd have gone the former route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

This thread is rather pleasant to browse through when you lot are all in good form.

From BR on the LFC site.
    Quote: we've done great business over the course of the summer - and we'll run with that until January and see where we're at then. I'm sure we'll look to strengthen again and finish off the second part of the season like we did last season.

As I said plenty of times January is a good window, dunno why people moan about it. You can bet your house there will be a few underperforming CL/EL sides who will have some players available as they exit at the group stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

G.K. wrote: »
    I wouldn't have called it a very good window for you guys but after today, not a bad one either.

A top class attacking player, a decent GK and a physical CM (As much as that was never happening imo) would have been what was needed on top of all else for a very good window in my book.

Yep defensively it was a good window not too sure attack wise...especially given the players we were initially linked with. I like the look of Aspas but Moses is fairly meh for me...the idea of signing him last year was dismissed by plenty on here and I haven't seen anything to change that opinion.

Rumour is Utd didn't get Contrao's paperwork in on time. Will be confirmed one way or the other around midnight.

I'd have taken OZIL. Ozil, you know that ****ing world class German wizard who would become automatically our second best player and one of our best signings of the past 20 years (up there all time tbh).

You get a chance at a player like that you take it. So, yes, if it was a choice of standing pat and bringing him on in or signing a bunch of squad filler and a couple of upgrades I'd have gone the former route.

Would you trade our entire transfer business with Arsenal?

Don't think I would. Mute point anyway as he'd never join a non CL team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Happy enough with the window. Wasn't looking great a week ago but came together nicely at the end.

Now we just need to get this bloody international break out of the way and continue our relentless march to the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I think you underestimate what is going on at utd. firstly the standards in how they conduct their business has dropped, starting with Moyes comments on Everton letting Baines and Fellani go and the pathetic chasing of Cesc
    Secondly, their number 10 does not want to be there, not a happy camper and lastly, there must be a couple of the backline (Evra) who it is obvious Moyes does not want, hence the bids for Baines and Contreau.
    If the top 5/6 beat the lesser teams, then the key games will be the clashes between the top 5/6 and I can see united in serious problems, although there is the chance that Moyes can change United's game plan to route one with Fellani, we did see a bit of that last Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Vicxas wrote: »
    Wow. Utd thread now attacking Liverpools business.

Poor lads

They're not obsessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If we keep up decent form until January, I wonder what sort of talent we could attract? If we're still in the serious running for top 4, a more top bracket midfielder/attacker may be available - especially after the first cull of teams from the Champions League.

Fair play to Arsenal getting Ozil, to be honest I think i'd have done a straight swap with Real for Suarez - though I very much doubt Ozil himself would have agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, I know Ozil, think we all do, thanks for the condescending, stating the bloody obvious reply.

I'd also a fair clue of how much the club would spend after £20 Million in January, roughly the same again. It was never going to be £50/60 Million unless we sold half the fcuking team.

To put it mildly, what fcuking world are you living in? There, I cursed twice on Boards! :D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Dcully wrote: »
    Hes a notch abive average at best imho.

I dunno how anyone could say that about Fella.

He is about as an effective a premier league player as you can get imo.

He has got nearly everything.

Knex. wrote: »
    Would you trade our entire transfer business with Arsenal?

Don't think I would. Mute point anyway as he'd never join a non CL team.

Yep, but still to answer I would. We'd have cover for Lucas and two genuinely world class players in the starting 11. We might have a better shot that way, who knows...

Less than 70 posts to the new thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Christ Everton did well got Barry mc carthy and lukaku lost fellani and made 15 million profit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Mignolet
    Johnson Toure Agger Sahko
    Gerrard Lucas
    Coutinho
    Suarez Sturridge Moses

Henderson,Enrique,Cissohko,Sterling,Aspas,Alberto, Llori,Allen,Wisdom,Ibe,Kelly,Skrtel,Jones.

I can honestly say that is looking fairly good to me and we also have some decent options too .

Yep, but still to answer I would. We'd have cover for Lucas and two genuinely world class players in the starting 11. We might have a better shot that way, who knows...

Ozil is never coming to a non CL club so stop banging on about him ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    If we keep up decent form until January, I wonder what sort of talent we could attract? If we're still in the serious running for top 4, a more top bracket midfielder/attacker may be available - especially after the first cull of teams from the Champions League.

Fair play to Arsenal getting Ozil, to be honest I think i'd have done a straight swap with Real for Suarez - though I very much doubt Ozil himself would have agreed.

Mata or Tom Ince I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think that if we stay on course and are in the top 4 come Jan, we'll have a very strong hand in the transfer market

A poster with a grip of reality! About the only way we could have got a player like Ozil, Mata also was selling Suarez, nobody else would fetch over £15 Million.

We can all dream about spending £60 Million, what's the fecking point, it isn't going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Ozil will not stop goals going in at the other end. Carra has retired and Reina would have had to be replaced next summer for definite. Your logic baffles me.

Also big news Suarez is still here despite your factual statements to the contrary towards the end of last season

Does Moses slot in now for Aspas?

Ardent wrote: »
    Ozil is never coming to a non CL club so stop banging on about him ffs.

Let's not pretend we did better than Arsenal when it's all weighed up is the point. World Class players that can define your starting 11 >>> squad additions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Do you have to be so condescending? Like there was ever a chance he'd come to us. And people were laughing at the link to Mata... we hadn't a hope at Ozil. I know you said 'if you had a choice', but we were never going to have that, and it shouldn't be used to belittle the 'squad filler' and 'couple of upgrades' we did get. This has been both a very good start to the season and a good transfer window all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Mignolet
    Johnson Toure Agger Sahko
    Gerrard Lucas
    Coutinho
    Suarez Sturridge Moses

Henderson,Enrique,Cissohko,Sterling,Aspas,Alberto, Llori,Allen,Wisdom,Ibe,Kelly,Skrtel,Jones.

I can honestly say that is looking fairly good to me and we also have some decent options too .

i think itll be more like this

no idea why agger has been made vice captain only to be replaced but sakho for 15 million wont be on the bench and he plays center back

Mignolet
    Johnson
    Toure----Saakho
    Cisokho
    Gerrard---Lucas
    Coutinho
    Suarez
    Sturridge----Moses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Christ Everton did well got Barry mc carthy and lukaku lost fellani and made 15 million profit

Kept Baines too. Has to be said they did well, even though they left it late.

Let's not pretend we did better than Arsenal when it's all weighed up is the point. World Class players that can define your starting 11 >>> squad additions.

Some arseing about, you know perfectly well Ozil would never be interested in signing for Liverpool any more than say Schalke O4 or Lille.

Or did you have cunning plan to lure him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

noodler wrote: »

i think it will be rotating. aspas for the tighter defences where moses against teams that play a high line

Arsenal had the luxury of having a better starting point than us though.

Better starting 11, and certainly a better squad.

I think, even though they added that quality in Ozil, by keeping Suarez and adding what we did, we've made ground on them a little.

Won't lie, lot of hard work and luck needed to still be in running come January, but hopefully we can add some more then too.

noodler wrote: »

I hope so. Aspas needs more time to adapt to English football.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement