Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twin buggy recommendations

Options
  • 16-08-2013 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am hoping any of you twin parents out there can give me some advice re: twin travel systems.

My wish list includes:
    - side by side
    - facing me
    - able to fit through a standard 800cm door (so probably a three wheeler would be best I have been told)
    - able to fit in the boot of the car easily

A lot to ask I know!

Can anyone recommend something! Don't really even know where to start.

thanks!

(mods I posted here as I reckon most people with recommendations already have their twins! but if you feel it is better suited to the pregnancy forum please feel free to move! thanks)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Byzantium4

Bugaboo Donkey is the only one I can think of that is side by side and can have the babies facing you- brilliant but very pricey! Although you'd probably make a fair bit of money back on it second hand in a few years time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Was going to recommend the donkey too. You need to look at lots, we were recommended things like the babyjogger city select but didn't like them in real life. We don't have twins but have two close in age and the donkey suits us brilliantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

lazygal wrote: »
    Was going to recommend the donkey too. You need to look at lots, we were recommended things like the babyjogger city select but didn't like them in real life. We don't have twins but have two close in age and the donkey suits us brilliantly.

Hi lazygal, would love to get your opinion on the donkey? I have the chameleon and was great when LO was newborn. However, one thing I will say is I found it very heavy. When our LO turned 6months we just went and bought a little mcclaren stroller. Just a simple one and I have to say its soooo much easier! It's lighter, easy to fold, amd takes up half the space in the car boot! And LO loves it. LO will be around 16 months when number 2 comes along... And so unsure what buggy to get. Thinking of the donkey (raging I didn't get a double in the first place). But I've been told its just soo heavy and cumbersome. But i just remember our bugaboo was just so comfy when LO was newborn. What do you think? Has anyone any experience with any light amd compact double buggies they would recommend?

We're currently using it as a single and TBH I wish we'd bought it last time as we knew we'd have two close in age (well that was the plan). We bought a cheap-ish system last time and we could have just saved the money and gotten the donkey. I love it in single mode, its so easy to fold up. Yes its heavy but every double is, even the so-called lightweight ones. Remember when something is designed to carry two children, its going to need to be a lot sturdier, especially for a heavier older child.
    We didn't like the Phil and Teds types, never even considered them, and when we tried things like babyjogger doubles/uppababy, they just didn't seem right for us. We wanted the option of forward and rear facing, we wanted something that was flexible and would stand up to wear and tear. As soon as we tried the donkey, we were sold. Yes its expensive but its practically the only thing we've bought for the new arrival and given it can be used as a single it will be on the go for years to come.
    I LOVE that the new baby will be in a 'proper' pram part, I think its so cosy for newborns and I plan on using it for daytime naps in the house. We got a cheap stroller last time too but it doesn't compare to the donkey, I'd rather put up with folding/unfolding and a bit of weight than rely on a cheaper stroller. For the minute it takes to take it out and set up, and considering the price, I won't be going the cheap double stroller route this time.
    Would you consider selling the chameleon and putting the money towards the donkey? There's great resale on most bugaboos, even if you got a couple of hundred for it you could see if you can get the donkey second hand.

PS we have a very similar age gap to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Thanks ladies

I have been thinking about the Donkey, but they are just so drab! I know that is a really superficial thing to care about, but the colour options just leave me cold. The other one I am trying to find a supplier for is the bumbleride indie twin. It is about the same price as the donkey, but I am having trouble finding a stockist here in Dublin. I can order from the UK, but I really want to have a try of it properly before I commit to buying anything.

The corsatto buggies are absolutely gorgeous, such nice designs. But they don't seem to come with any option to add a carry cot and they are front facing. :(

A friend who has twins told me not to buy a really expensive system, as that is what she did and then 2 months in hated the thing, struggled getting through doors etc (despite it fitting in theory, with 2 babies on board its manouverability was much much less than when she 'test drove' it). She ended up selling hers on donedeal and buying a much cheaper one. She recommended getting a cheaper system for their first 9mths or so, then getting a standard buggy style from about 9 mths to a year onwards, which is what she did. Expense wise it was cheaper to buy a different system for different stages than the first one she got. She also pointed out that if you use it alot, regardless of how much you spend it can get worn and damaged anyway, especially once they get to toddler stage and are intent on pulling things, jumping around, dropping chocolate on it etc etc.

But then a friend of the family who has twins totally disagreed and said buy the best you can afford from the outset! Its a lot of money upfront, but worth it in the end.

Both makes sense, so I am totally headwrecked as to what to do!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I don't like the donkey at all,found it awkward to push.

I like the baby jogger doubles but the baby does not face you.

We have an out n about nipper and it is fantastic,anything that I can fault with it has been fixed on the newer version.

After the 1st few months the babies want to face out so if it were me I would want a pram for the 1st few months then it would not bother me after that.

There is a lot of research pro and con to baby facing outwards. Some reckon it's too much stimulation for very young tots.

My friend with twins reckons to have them facing you until they are at least a year or so - the reason being you can put some manners on them before they face out! She said that they get up to all sorts that she can't see and it's only when one starts crying or a display in a shop topples over that she realises that they are up to something! :)

I didn't like the out and about nipper at all, felt it was very inflexible and hard to maneovre. But you really need to go to a few shops and try every possible double, I was sold on a totally different style but when I tried it with the older child in it i realised it wouldn't work for us. I know people who LOVE the phil and teds, so its a very personal decision.

We're currently using it as a single and TBH I wish we'd bought it last time as we knew we'd have two close in age (well that was the plan). We bought a cheap-ish system last time and we could have just saved the money and gotten the donkey. I love it in single mode, its so easy to fold up. Yes its heavy but every double is, even the so-called lightweight ones. Remember when something is designed to carry two children, its going to need to be a lot sturdier, especially for a heavier older child.
    We didn't like the Phil and Teds types, never even considered them, and when we tried things like babyjogger doubles/uppababy, they just didn't seem right for us. We wanted the option of forward and rear facing, we wanted something that was flexible and would stand up to wear and tear. As soon as we tried the donkey, we were sold. Yes its expensive but its practically the only thing we've bought for the new arrival and given it can be used as a single it will be on the go for years to come.
    I LOVE that the new baby will be in a 'proper' pram part, I think its so cosy for newborns and I plan on using it for daytime naps in the house. We got a cheap stroller last time too but it doesn't compare to the donkey, I'd rather put up with folding/unfolding and a bit of weight than rely on a cheaper stroller. For the minute it takes to take it out and set up, and considering the price, I won't be going the cheap double stroller route this time.
    Would you consider selling the chameleon and putting the money towards the donkey? There's great resale on most bugaboos, even if you got a couple of hundred for it you could see if you can get the donkey second hand.

PS we have a very similar age gap to you.

Thanks for your reply lazygal. Yes everything you say bout the donkey is pretty much what we want and why we went for a bugaboo in the first place. I think we will just go into the shops and get a demo of a few different brands and see what we like in the end. I love the idea that baby will be in a pram that is also suitable for overnight sleeping. I think it's a huge advantage. Have a few months yet to make a decision. Thanks all. :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I didn't like the out and about nipper at all, felt it was very inflexible and hard to maneovre. But you really need to go to a few shops and try every possible double, I was sold on a totally different style but when I tried it with the older child in it i realised it wouldn't work for us. I know people who LOVE the phil and teds, so its a very personal decision.

Then the Donkey is definitely out for you,it is really akward.
    The Phil and teds was a disaster for me with the 1 and 2 year olds and was really hard to get up steps and really heavy.I also do not like the way the seats are.(we had a lend of one temporarily)
    I have never pushed the baby joggers but heard great things about them and I like the look of the elite.

Mine aren't twins and I was a childminder so I have had 2 new babies in it and 1,2 year old.

I used to ask random people in the Zoo to try their buggies to see what they were like with kids in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Moonbeam wrote: »
    <snip>
    The Phil and teds was a disaster for me with the 1 and 2 year olds and was really hard to get up steps and really heavy.I also do not like the way the seats are.(we had a lend of one temporarily)
    <snip>
    we had a side by side double buggy which was great in theory but was a disaster in practice. (Kids are now 2 and 3 1/2 by the way and for the first 6 months it was sling+buggy as the solution).
    A royal pain in shops and took up all of our focus estate boot which is to be fair very very spacious. We eventually gave it to a charity shop (it was a second hand gift in the first place so thought that to be the fairest thing to do)
    We still have a chariot double bike trailer and its fab for the bike but has the same limitations as the regular side by side buggy only is even more impractical for transporting.

The christmas before last (so youngest was 6 months) we picked up a cheapo second hand phil and teds and its just class.
    Was sceptical to begin with but it is really the biz. It folds so small that it fits on top of the large suitcase in our boot so for travelling its practically taking up no space.
    For shops its ultra manouverable and very compact lengthwise which is handy for the more cluttered shops.
    I was sceptical about the seating arrangements having one on top of the other but the kids find it no problem so if they are happy im happy!
    Without kids its handy enough to get up and down stairs.
    I dont find it heavy, and compared to our other 2 double buggies its much much lighter.

it definitely was not the same as the Phil and Teds think it was Vibe that we had.
    Everyone has different preferences with buggies , all of us have different requirements.
    I originally needed one for a new baby and a 2 year old,then a 2 and 3 year old and now a new baby and 2 year old again.

I needed something very easy to manoeuvre with one hand that was good on rough terrain and folded so it fitted in my boot. We walk a lot and I also needed to be able to hold hands with the 3 year old or alternatively let her sit on the front:)

The mountain buggies are really good too but were too expensive.

Make your requirement list and then see what fits it.

I'm actually currently using the donkey as a single and its perfect for our needs. Don't find it too difficult to get around at all and while no buggy will tick every box its great so far.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far ladies. Would love to hear from some twin mammies though as I think using the pram/buggy for twins is quite different to using it for children of different ages, even if they are close in age.

Definitely don't want a phil and teds, really not keen on having a tiny baby so close to the ground. Also don't like the idea of one being cut off from everything, basically on the bottom not able to see anything but its siblings bum! I think its differentwhen they are at different ages, but not for twins.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

We have twin boys and originally bought the Maclaren Twin Techno. It looked perfect when we got it as the boys could go in as newborn, one of the narrowest on the market so it went through our doors. But after using it for just under a year, it was a nightmare - too heavy, boys were never comfortable in, they never slept in it and tough to push. We have a little girl at home also and for my OH trying to go out on her own never happened because it was too tough to push the buggy and keep track of the little one.

We ended up selling it seperatly and buying City Select. I know it's not the side by side you are looking for, but it's a great buggy! Very light, easy to push and the boys are comfortable in and actually sleep in it. It's very easy to take apart and it very customizable in that you can have the babies facing you or facing away or even facing each other. This would be the one that I would recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Twins here and for the first 18mths we had the donkey.
    Really nice, comfy pram pieces for newborns and great to have option of them facing you in buggy seats too. Loved its width and maneouverability too.
    However, from when they were about a year old, I thought it was too bulky and cumbersome for our needs when the boys were sturdier and didn't need/want to be facing me all the time. :D
    Also, it took up a lot of boot space.
    Debated for ages about changing it... Months, really. Then eventually did. Bought the baby jogger citi mini gt and never looked back.
    Just as easy to maneouvre as the donkey, fits thru most standard doors. Pretty much same weight as donkey. But folds so easily and neatly. I love it.

So, I think what I'm saying is, you'll love the donkey for the early days. And I'd say you'd be able to pick one up second hand as they've been around 2yrs now.
    But I wouldn't buy new as I'd say you'll want to change it in about a year...

thanks c07. I have had trouble finding a second hand donkey - it seems that possibly because they are so expensive, people hang on to them longer maybe? I was quoted just under €2000 for the chassis, 2 carry cots, 2 maxi cosy, 2 buggy seats, adaptors, and isofix bases. It is just SO MUCH MONEY!!!! I am actually afraid to get it and then possibly not love it. I do also worry about your point that with it already being a bit heavy and cumbersome that once the twins get bigger and weigh more it could be really heavy and awkward.

Have looked the city select, and whilst I don't LOVE it, I do like it and see a lot of advantages particularly due to its width. The main thing I don't like is that one baby faces away from you, and you would have to have the hood down to see the baby.

Can I ask anyone who has a city select - Diddy Kong - are the kids comfy in it? It just looks so cramped in the leg area, with one baby having (what looks like) a minisule amount of room for his/her legs under the other seat. I suppose what is putting me off is that it looks uncomfortable to me, but maybe babies don't notice??

I was thinking to not bother with carry cots and then remembered the babies are due in December, and the maxi cosy seats wouldn't keep them very snug on a walk outside and because there is a chance they will be small birth weights, I don't like the idea of them being in the normal seat so soon. So looks like the carry cots will have to be bought.

On the surface the donkey looks like the one to go for, but it does have its drawbacks - the main one being the price. The city select is €900 cheaper!

Head totally melted at this stage!!!!! Think I'll just nick a shopping trolley from Tesco and wheel them around in that! lol

With the City Select, our boys love it and they actually climb into it in the morning to let us know they want to sleep. They are both very big 21 month old's and they have no issue with the height/width. Our almost 3 year old also likes it.

Regarding one of them not being in view, it all depends on how you set it up. When we head for a walk we face them forward, but when we are trying to put them to sleep we face towards us. We tried a few times for them facing each other, but that just led to thievery of toys from one of them :).

I know you are probably looking more to putting the car seats on the frame and you do loose some visibility of whoever is in front, but don't think it was too much of an issue for us.

We would have loved the Donkey, but it was just a huge outlay. We had originally bought the Bugaboo Cameleon, so we knew the quality/design/comfort from Bugaboo, but to us the width was also an issue. The Maclaren Twin Techno is 68cm and the Donkey 74cm, and we found it tough getting through shops with the Maclaren.

But at the end of the day, it will come down to personal preference and functionality that will suit you. As you are seeing yourself, the second hand market for the Donkey is very good so you should see a good return if you do go for it.

I actually can't find any donkeys second hand at all. And the width is putting me off too - there are cheaper versions out there (like the firstwheels city twin) much the same size and half the price. So now that I have given it more thought, I realise that even if I were to go with the wider option, I can't justify paying twice the price for what is essentially the same thing, just a more trendy brand.

The more I consider the width of the donkey or other side by sides, the more I think I will struggle with it at home. Our front door has a radiator right behind it, so it doesn't open up the full 90 degree angle, more like 80/85 degrees. Even that few cm makes a difference from what I can tell. I have lined up the measuring tape and it does fit, but only barely. Add in the additional weight of two children and I think I will get very frustrated by it. With a donkey costing so much already, the cost of moving a radiator is just another expense too far that I can't justify.

On the otherhand, whilst the city select is tandem and not my first preference, it will easily fit through doors and from what I can see is very popular also, so I think I will be able to sell it easily later on.

Does anyone have any recommendations for bargains on the maxicosi car seats and isofix bases? Mothercare are doing the maxicosi seat for €129 (anywhere else I saw them they are €149 or €159). But the bases are full price. Anyone know of good bargains to be had??

Smyths have the base for €119 at the moment. Other option might be Tony Kealy's, they do have some deals on full travel systems. (where we got the Bugaboo/ISOFix/Seat in one deal)

• Advertisement

Tony Kealys is €1960 without the bases for the Bugaboo. Bases in Tony Kealys is another €159.99 each.

Will check out Smyths.

Although to be honest, it's all getting so expensive, I might just manage with the seatbelt to secure them and then see if we get any vouchers or anything and buy them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Tony Kealys is €1960 without the bases for the Bugaboo. Bases in Tony Kealys is another €159.99 each.

Will check out Smyths.

Although to be honest, it's all getting so expensive, I might just manage with the seatbelt to secure them and then see if we get any vouchers or anything and buy them then.

Hello lady I spotted a second hand donkey on done deal.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/childrenitems-for-sale/bugaboo-donkey-duo-beautiful-condition/5596992

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

c07 wrote: »
    Twins here and for the first 18mths we had the donkey.
    Really nice, comfy pram pieces for newborns and great to have option of them facing you in buggy seats too. Loved its width and maneouverability too.
    However, from when they were about a year old, I thought it was too bulky and cumbersome for our needs when the boys were sturdier and didn't need/want to be facing me all the time. :D
    Also, it took up a lot of boot space.
    <snip>
    just to get an idea of how much space it takes in a boot, heres a video of a donkey being put in the boot of a VW golf
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUEBT8hHaaM

to be fair, if you have the kids in a maxi cosi and just stash the donkey frame (no carry cot) then you might be able to relaim the boot for luggage if going on a spin.

Millem wrote: »

thanks for that Millem.....

hmmmm.... but €1100??? :eek: still a lot, isn't it? and that is without maxi cosi, and only one of each seat. So looks to me to be close in price with a brand new one.
    The city select is coming in at under €1500 for everything (2 x carry cots, 2 x seats, 2x maxi cosi, 2x adapters, 2x isofix bases) plus if I buy on mothercare's customer night (last thurs of each month) I get 10% discount. So €1100 Donkey second hand and will still have to buy a second carry cot, second seat, adapters and 2 maxi cosi, or €1350, everything brand new, nothing else to buy.

Still looks like it will be the city select....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I got a maxi cosi base in Eurobaby for €119, they do online sales fairly frequently, and free delivery too.

http://eurobabynursery.com/ie/store/car-seats/bases

The one I got is the easifix, its isofix and seatbelt (so can move it from OH's car to mine if needs be)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

I have a mountain buggy duet, which is brilliant. You can get carrycot inserts for it, and it is less wide than most, I think 72cm when we got it.

It fits in everywhere, and is very hard wearing. It goes everywhere with us, beach, woods, fields.

Only issue might be that you don't get the parent facing option though.

Hello! Just following on from this thread... Still a few more weeks to go yet and really looking at buggies more now for newborn and a 16month.

Hello Lady... Congrats on your twins. Did you end up going for the city select? How are you finding it? Are you using a carry cot?

Lazygal.... I sure you've been using your donkey for a few months now. How are you finding it in double mode?

I think it's between the donkey, city select or jogger, or out and about nipper for us... Gosh, still haven't really a clue. I do like the was the nipper and jogger fold up. But the donkey is more what I want, with the carrycot and options to face forward, backward, have a maxicosi etc. Just the size and hassle of taking seats off and folding all up to put in car is putting me off. I'm one of those people who prob won't leave the house if it's too much hassle. So thinking the ease of the other buggies might actually be better for me and the babies.

lol
    Try managing a donkey with kids in it and try the others,it should help with the decision.
    After 4 years with the nipper and trying to use it literally everywhere(beaches,forests,mountains),and 4 kids using it,my main complaints are that I could not make the handle slightly higher and there is only 1 sunshade to pull over.
    When I had a 1,2 and 3 year old daily and a car that was not big enough the 3 year old used to sit on the front and the 2 little ones in it.
    Talking to people with the city jogger,they love it

The air tyres are great for bouncing up and down steps,going on the beach and probably for taking the excessive weight mine tends to take:)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    lol
    Try managing a donkey with kids in it and try the others,it should help with the decision.
    After 4 years with the nipper and trying to use it literally everywhere(beaches,forests,mountains),and 4 kids using it,my main complaints are that I could not make the handle slightly higher and there is only 1 sunshade to pull over.
    When I had a 1,2 and 3 year old daily and a car that was not big enough the 3 year old used to sit on the front and the 2 little ones in it.
    Talking to people with the city jogger,they love it

The air tyres are great for bouncing up and down steps,going on the beach and probably for taking the excessive weight mine tends to take:)

I never thought chosing a buggy could be so god damn annoying! I spose Im pretty indecisive anyway! Another thing that's putting me off getting the donkey is that I had the chameleon first time around and after 4-5months our little dude wanted to be up in a stroller facing out. Just think its a lot of money if you're only getting the best out of it for 4 months. I love the way the nipper and the jogger fold up. But they won't take a maxicosi. I wanted a carry cot for newborn when we are out aswell... But beginning to think this isn't a necessity?

• Advertisement

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I never thought chosing a buggy could be so god damn annoying! I spose Im pretty indecisive anyway! Another thing that's putting me off getting the donkey is that I had the chameleon first time around and after 4-5months our little dude wanted to be up in a stroller facing out. Just think its a lot of money if you're only getting the best out of it for 4 months. I love the way the nipper and the jogger fold up. But they won't take a maxicosi. I wanted a carry cot for newborn when we are out aswell... But beginning to think this isn't a necessity?

Pretty sure the new ones do take the maxi cosi .

Advertisement