Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert accounting query?

• 16-08-2013 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Im going into fifth year and I really wanted to do accounting as a subject but it isnt possible to fit into my school timetable as im doing economics and business studies too. What im thinking is maybe getting a grind once a week in accounting. I understood everything in junior cert accounting and could prepare all my accounts perfectly.
    So I my question is, is the accounting course long? Would I get it roughly be able to get it covered if I did a grind a week for the next two years? Also I am not great at maths (C in higher level for junior cert) would it matter?
    Appreciate any relevant answers Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Although I never studied accountancy, I always was amazed with the no. of high grades at higher level this subject got. I would say to give it a try at least, and perhaps spend extra time studying this subject as you will only have one grind. Parts of the course I'm sure are repetitive and anyone who I ever heard talking about it always said that if you know the formulas, you're sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ardclonman

Anyone else have any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭shawki

Don't do Q1, Having to do 2 of Q2, Q3, or Q4 is way easier.
    Did it in one year, Got my A1 Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

It's a ideal subject to do outside of school. The course isn't too long. A grind a week for 2 years is definitely enough. The key is to just practice loads of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Achieve Greatness

shawki wrote: »
    Don't do Q1, Having to do 2 of Q2, Q3, or Q4 is way easier.
    Did it in one year, Got my A1 Wednesday

Why? Question 1 can be very straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

Why? Question 1 can be very straightforward.

Question 1 takes a lot of work to master. It is ideal for the hard-working student targeting high marks.

However, for many students, they feel that their time is better spent on the 60-markers, particularly given than many of the 60-markers also come up as 100-markers. Killing two birds with one stone in a sense.

Question 1 is definitely not for all students.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Achieve Greatness

teach88 wrote: »
    Question 1 takes a lot of work to master. It is ideal for the hard-working student targeting high marks.

However, for many students, they feel that their time is better spent on the 60-markers, particularly given than many of the 60-markers also come up as 100-markers. Killing two birds with one stone in a sense.

Question 1 is definitely not for all students.

Fair enough. I just find that the adjustments on the Sole Trader and Company accounts are relatively all straightforward and are very repetitive. Manufacturing accounts are not so easy in my opinion and require a lot more work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

dont do question 1 i advise to all it can catch people for timing. the 60's are better and they cover the 100's mostly as well.

Advertisement