Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ask toolbar

Options
  • 16-08-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the ask toolbar on windows 8.have tried but have failed many thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try ADWCleaner. It's excellent at removing rubbish like this

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Crap like this is why you need to be so vigilant when installing free software these day's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Should show up in add/remove programs I would have thought - if removing it from there isnt' doing it then I'd recommend using Revo uninstaller advanced remove, deletes files and reg keys associated with the install to give it a clean wipe

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Crap like this is why you need to be so vigilant when installing free open source software these day's.

FYP. One would hope that an Ask.com toolbar isn't included in a free software installation...

• Advertisement

FYP. One would hope that an Ask.com toolbar isn't included in a free software installation...

Unfortunately, it is included in a gazillion freebies, one of the most popular being this:

ftK1Ms0.jpg

Recommended by Oracle... shower of c****. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Torqay wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it is included in a gazillion freebies, one of the most popular being this:

ftK1Ms0.jpg

Recommended by Oracle... shower of c****. ;)

And here was me thinking it was Oracles security "issues" with Java that contributed to computers retrieving malware. That's ripping this p*ss big time if true :P :pac:

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 25,452 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Almost every free piece of s/w tries to install either another program (e.g. Norton security scanner) or a browser toolbar. While they often make you manually tick the 'Accept Ts & Cs' box, they seem to have no problem leaving the additional s/w box ticked so you have to deselect it.

It's like the old Ryanair system of giving you travel insurance unless you opted out until they were forced to change it to active (default is 'no') instead of passive (default is 'yes') acceptance.

coylemj wrote: »
    Almost every free piece of s/w tries to install either another program (e.g. Norton security scanner) or a browser toolbar. While they often make you manually tick the 'Accept Ts & Cs' box, they seem to have no problem leaving the additional s/w box ticked so you have to deselect it.

It's like the old Ryanair system of giving you travel insurance unless you opted out until they were forced to change it to active (default is 'no') instead of passive (default is 'yes') acceptance.
    Some softwares and companies looking to send newsletters to mail addresses used, now use a system where the boxes are left unchecked and you have to check them to not install the additional software/get the newsletter.

Very annoying

D'Agger wrote: »
    Some softwares and companies looking to send newsletters to mail addresses used

Rule of thumb: use disposable email addresses (e.g. mailinator.com).

• Advertisement

Torqay wrote: »
    Rule of thumb: use disposable email addresses (e.g. mailinator.com).
    I have a gmail account that I use exclusively for signing up to stuff that I feel might send me trash - I only use it in case I require a password reset due to forgetting credentials etc.

Advertisement