Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get Gluten-Free buns?

Options
  • 16-08-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Does anyone know where I can get cheap gluten free bun mix? At the moment, I've only found stuff in Tescos, but which work out at only 4 buns per pack that costs €4 which is a bit steep. I'd be making the buns for work people, so would prefer that they were of the lovely tasting variety; one or two of the work people can't eat gluten, so the buns will be able to be eaten by all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I use Doves gluten free flour and follow the recipe on the back. Either use the self raising one or you'll need to buy gf baking powder too. Doves do one and so do Dr Oetker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

If you really want to, then how about :

http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/gluten-free-bread-rolls/

Most people take an instant dislike to gluten free bread

Why ?

( I think its because it save time )

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thanks for the replies.
    0lddog wrote: »
    Most people take an instant dislike to gluten free bread

Why ?
    Not sure, but I think it "feels heavier" when they've eaten it?

Thanks annamcmahon for the suggestion; I shall look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Thanks annamcmahon for the suggestion; I shall look into it.[/quote]

I've been using it all week to to make American style buttermilk pancakes and they are the softest lightest pancakes I've ever made. Delicious

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Syco, Supervalu now have their own range of 'free from' and it's really good and not too expensive. I've baked loads with doves farm and best cake I've made with it is carrot cake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Do you mean buns as in little sweet cakes? I regularly use rice flour in the place of normal flour in baking because I actually like the consistency (I'm not gluten intolerant) Most baking turns out just as nice, especially chocolate brownies (my gluten free speciality :) )

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

175g Odlums tritamyl flour (pink packet) or doves farm as above.
    175g caster sugar
    175g flora or any similar spread
    1tsp vanilla essence
    3 eggs

Throw everything in a bowl together and mix. Could not be easier and you don't need an expensive mix. Makes about 18 buns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have made plain buns with the Doves flour too (recipe on the pack) and they were pretty darn good, the vanilla helps to give good flavour so get a good quality one. You can make a basic icing with icing sugar, water or a little lemon or orange juice.
    If you are baking for folks that are gluten intolerant or just aren't eating it that's grand but if any are ceoliac (can never spell it) make sure there's no cross contamination from the work surfaces, utensils and the oven is well aired (maybe give it a wipe down before use) before baking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Have made plain buns with the Doves flour too (recipe on the pack) and they were pretty darn good, the vanilla helps to give good flavour so get a good quality one. You can make a basic icing with icing sugar, water or a little lemon or orange juice.
    If you are baking for folks that are gluten intolerant or just aren't eating it that's grand but if any are ceoliac (can never spell it) make sure there's no cross contamination from the work surfaces, utensils and the oven is well aired (maybe give it a wipe down before use) before baking.

Had to learn it myself too! It's Coeliac and I remember to spell it like this.....Coe - liac, spelled as in Seb Coe, but that's only useful if you remember him! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Dont forget about www.coelaic.ie if in doubt about preparation etc

For recipie ideas try http://coeliac.ie/webboards/viewforum.php?f=2

• Advertisement
Advertisement