Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Dublin City Triathlon

Options
  • 16-08-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

There surprisingly doesn't seem to be a thread for this yet, particularly as its National Series and National Champs.

I presume there's a good few regulars on here doing it.

I'm looking forward to it now.

Who's done it before (lots of you I'd say).

Everyone is saying to me - jasas your'e not going to swim in the Liffey are you??. My answer is of course yes to their usual disbelief with my defence being that plenty do it every year with no "casualties" and that it is above the City and its "grand" out there by the Garda Boat Club etc.

A few questions:

1) with 5 bike laps, does the course get congested and is there a counting system of sorts or is it "trust". (I presume that the chip system counts the laps somehow?.
    2) I sometimes cant avoid swallowing water during the swim - This is something I normally don't worry about but should I here? (I'm not looking for scientific answers, only has any one else had a "swallow" in the past and survived"??). I know that the water is tested and that the organisers take this issue seriously (reading last year's briefing).
    3) Are the waves "fastest first" or broken up or by category (as Athy)?

Thanks and see yee all there!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Did it last year. Good race, bike course is congested yes, and monotonous. Run course can be very rough. There was a section last year that was a mud bath with a few people losing runners stuck in the mud. Other aprts of the run were quite rough and easy to twist an ankle. I was expecting tarmac like other running races I'd done in the park.

In answer to your questions, they have a tag to count your laps, up to you to remember tho. There's usually a few DQ's where people "miscounted". Make sure ya know how many to do, and if first/last lap counts etc.

Inevitably I swallowed water last year. Think it's unavoidable to completely stay clear. I survived, but make sure ya get a good drink of clean water at T1.

Waves are fastest swimmer first from what I could see, based on the estimated swim time you provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

did the super sprint two years ago. tackling the Oly this year, looking forward to it, although reading the above about five laps and cr4p run course, i'm not as pumped as i was.....i had forgoten all of that

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Better strap the Garmin to me bike!!

On the run course would you recommend normal shoes. (I'm presuming some of run is on tarmac so spikes not suitable if wet!!). With the weather this year the course shouldn't be as much of an issue re mud etc.

I'll take a nice sip of water in T1 I think. All the bets for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Am registered but cant do unfortunately and no refunds being taken now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm in. Did it last year and enjoyed it. Granted the bike is a bit monotonous and congested it's not often you race on closed roads.

The run was pure hell last year. Toughest run I've had in any triathlon. My quads were shot after it. I'm hoping it will be firmer under foot this year.

I'm assuming there's registration the morning of the race. Someone told me there isn't. Any truth to that?

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    I'

I'm assuming there's registration the morning of the race. Someone told me there isn't. Any truth to that?

Last years briefing says registration Sunday Morning "by Exception" for people travelling from outside Dublin. Cant find details for this years

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

In contrast to most people so far, I really enjoyed the bike course last year. DCT was probably my favourite race last year. I find a bike course like this much less monotonous than some of the other races where you have a straight out and back. It also provides some sort of test of your bike handling abilities rather than just allowing you to sit on the aerobars for the duration.

The lap counting thing really annoyed me though. It might be just me, but I found that it was not made clear at all how many laps you had to do. Noone seemed to be sure whether the first half-lap that you do when you entered the park counted as lap 1, and the fact that there was a different entry/exit from the park just added to the confusion for me. I hope that this will be gone through thoroughly in the race briefing this year.

I liked the fact that the course was cross-country, made for a bit of a change. But i would agree with Shedite that certain parts of it were just too muddy. It was a real struggle to stay upright in places and i'd say you would really benefit from a pair of trail shoes on this course if you have them.

Regarding the swim, I was grand after it but I know a couple of people who were ill shortly afterwards, but this may not have been related to the water quality. Get some water in at T1 and make sure to take some flat coke on board at the finish. That stuff is supposed to fairly flush out your insides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Bambaata wrote: »
    Am registered but cant do unfortunately and no refunds being taken now :(

Always a pity to see entries not being used, props to the races that realy care aobut the athletes and accommondate late changes.
    Organicers are surely very busy in the lead up to a race at the same time it takes 1 min with the timming chip company to change names.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I had registered in April and completely forgot i had actually registered so when i got the TI automated mail i twigged that and tried to see if i could transfer. Pity as the 50 odd quid would have come in handy with Lanza 70.3 not far away!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 EoghanRooney

I completed the race in 2011, I was violently ill afterwards so be careful about swallowing water, stay out of the reeds etc if possible. Saying that I'm going back this year. The course is fine, the roads are good, there are faster ones out there if your looking for a pb but it will be the same for everyone on the day. The cycle breaks up your rhythm due to some sharp turns and hills, it's a good challenge though. The ground in the Park is bone dry this year so I wouldn't expect a mud bath unless we have a LOT of rain, but this is Ireland after all so anything could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Turtle001

Hi All,

It's my first time doing this event and after reading the race brief I have 2 questions I was hoping to get some advice on from the more seasoned campaigners!

1. "Following the race brief, all athletes must remain in the holding area"
    Ok, I'm not the fastest swimmer in the world and will be in wave 5 starting at 10am. Therefore it'll be 90mins after the race brief starts. Is there anywhere I can stash extra gear e.g. socks, tops before I actually start racing as I'm not sure if I'll have anyone with me at that time?

2. Counting laps - whilst I have counted to 5 before (a few times, I can't remember how many)..... I was wondering if anyone had any easy/practical tips for doing it in the cycle (without just running out last minute to buy some fancy electronics)

Cheers,
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

Turtle001 wrote: »
    Hi All,

It's my first time doing this event and after reading the race brief I have 2 questions I was hoping to get some advice on from the more seasoned campaigners!

Ok, I'm not the fastest swimmer in the world and will be in wave 5 starting at 10am. Therefore it'll be 90mins after the race brief starts. Is there anywhere I can stash extra gear e.g. socks, tops before I actually start racing as I'm not sure if I'll have anyone with me at that time?

2. Counting laps - whilst I have counted to 5 before (a few times, I can't remember how many)..... I was wondering if anyone had any easy/practical tips for doing it in the cycle (without just running out last minute to buy some fancy electronics)

Cheers,
    T

There's usually a bag drop inside the holding pen, just beside the race start, so you'll have access to your gear pretty much up until you're in the water.

In the absence of a garmin or other bike computer, I've heard of people putting five strips of tape on their handlebars and removing one on each lap.

Best of luck !!

Yeah there's a bag drop that I think was open all day last year. So you won't be allowed back into transition, but can drop socks or whatever in your bag there.

With regards laps, you should have an idea of how long each 8k lap will take you. Probably 15+minutes? Basically you should know right, I've been on the bike 46mns, this is the end of lap 3.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This may sound daft, but I put 5 tiny pieces of sticker on my handlebars. Removed one coming to the end of every lap. I know it sounds obvious and easy to count five laps, but it is easy to miscount when you're in race mode, and youll think 'was that three, or four...?'. :D

Edit Like dited said... which I only just saw.

Oryx wrote: »
    This may sound daft, but I put 5 tiny pieces of sticker on my handlebars. Removed one coming to the end of every lap. I know it sounds obvious and easy to count five laps, but it is easy to miscount when you're in race mode, and youll think 'was that three, or four...?'. :D

So what you're saying is, you littered on the course at undesignated litter drops ??

I presume you got DQ yes ?

:o

miller82 wrote: »
    So what you're saying is, you littered on the course at undesignated litter drops ??

I presume you got DQ yes ?

:o
    Why no, I did not litter, sir. How dare you. :p

I still have them, on my top tube. Little darlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Oryx wrote: »

Nothing obvious or easy about it. Twice in a row last night I miscounted 400m in the pool. And I do counting for a living!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

BTH wrote: »
    Nothing obvious or easy about it. Twice in a row last night I miscounted 400m in the pool. And I do counting for a living!!

Glad I'm not a client of yours!!! ;)

pgibbo wrote: »
    Glad I'm not a client of yours!!! ;)

Ssssshhhhh, don't let anyone out Whest find out!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

BTH wrote: »
    Ssssshhhhh, don't let anyone out Whest find out!! ;)

You didn't miscount, you were double checking your calculations!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Diesel

Podge83 wrote: »
    Last years briefing says registration Sunday Morning "by Exception" for people travelling from outside Dublin. Cant find details for this years

In answer;
    Don't mix up registration with check-in. If registering the night before - you don't leave your bike ! I'm sure that's obvious - but there are newbies !! And welcome too... :)

On page 1/2 of the released race briefing: http://www.dublincitytriathlon.com/news/84-vodafone-dct-race-briefing

Sunday 25th August
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]On Sunday 25th August registration is available BY EXCEPTION, only for people traveling from outside Dublin
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]07.00 - 08.00 [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]Limited Race sign-on and registration: [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Diesel wrote: »
    In answer;
    Don't mix up registration with check-in. If registering the night before - you don't leave your bike ! I'm sure that's obvious - but there are newbies !! And welcome too... :)

On page 1/2 of the released race briefing: http://www.dublincitytriathlon.com/news/84-vodafone-dct-race-briefing

I've it all worked out thanks. I am relatively new to this lark but have done a few this year so am getting used to the way things work. I'm travelling Saturday and will get reg out of the way. Anyway, Garda boat club or not - I wouldn't leave my bike around there over night... Mind you I might check the Insurance as I could do with a new one.

Weather looks good so run course shouldn't be too muddy. From experience, what proportion of the run is on grass and what on tarmac??

I was talking to a fella this morning who is an avid open water swimmer who attests that the water quality in this part of the Liffey is a good as any river in the country. Don't know if he was trying to make me feel good or not but it worked!!.

Weather looks good so run course shouldn't be too muddy. From experience, what proportion of the run is on grass and what on tarmac??
    70/30 as a rough guess? You start and end on path or tarmac.
    I was talking to a fella this morning who is an avid open water swimmer who attests that the water quality in this part of the Liffey is a good as any river in the country. Don't know if he was trying to make me feel good or not but it worked!!.
    I'd agree with that.

Roughly 50/50 IMO. 1k tarmac, then 2k grass, 2k tarmac, then 3k grass, then 2k tarmac.

The tarmac sections are firstly from transition to the grass (along chapeloizid road and into the park), and then the following 2k sections are from the roundabout by the Aras back to the roundabout by the main gate.
    I was talking to a fella this morning who is an avid open water swimmer who attests that the water quality in this part of the Liffey is a good as any river in the country.
    Only other river race I can compare it to is triAthy and I didn't notice it any worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'd fully agree with this as well, only problem would be if there was suddenly a lot of rain. Doesn't like this will be the case though. From someone who has spent a huge amount of time in or on the Liffey it really isn't as dirty as you think.

joey100 wrote: »
    I'd fully agree with this as well, only problem would be if there was suddenly a lot of rain. Doesn't like this will be the case though. From someone who has spent a huge amount of time in or on the Liffey it really isn't as dirty as you think.

i thought this was a good thing as it flushes out a lot of cr4p

miller82 wrote: »
    i thought this was a good thing as it flushes out a lot of cr4p

It does for some things but also it would bring down branches, debris and lots of "mucky" stuff due to run-off from fields etc. Look at a river in flood and water is always brown. Also would increase flow considerably which wouldn't be great (for first bit anyway!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

I was talking to a fella this morning who is an avid open water swimmer who attests that the water quality in this part of the Liffey is a good as any river in the country.

Which is pretty much the reason I don't plan ever doing a river based triathlon in this country again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Dowee wrote: »
    Which is pretty much the reason I don't plan ever doing a river based triathlon in this country again!

The thousands of people who do them every year without incident would seem to disagree.

• Advertisement

cjt156 wrote: »
    The thousands of people who do them every year without incident would seem to disagree.

I was wondering how long it would take Dowee to chime in!!

cjt, Dowee has first hand experience of the dangers that exist in all freshwater swims, and he is probably the main reason that the race briefing starts with a very clear warning about water safety and weils disease.

I'd advise everyone to read that warning and read it carefully. And re-read it next Wednesday or Thursday to make sure you aren't suffering from some mild symptoms. If you're symptoms are stronger than mild you'll already know about it at that point.

This advice doesn't just apply to DCT, but to all freshwater swims. Lets not do any more scaremongering in this thread.

Advertisement