Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Dublin City Triathlon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Just to back up what BTH said, very important to read the briefing around the water. Weils disease has the same symptoms as the flu and takes around 5-7 days to show. If people are feeling sick make sure they tell the doctor that they have been in the Liffey. Like I said I've spent years on and in the Liffey and other rivers in Ireland and few of my friends have had Weils disease, (only one caught from the Liffey). If it's caught early enough it can be well treated, if not it can do some damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

BTH wrote: »
    I was wondering how long it would take Dowee to chime.

It's all about timing :)

Good post above and good advice. Good luck with your upcoming season opener. Hope the health is back to somewhere near 100%

@cjt156: I don't need anyone to agree with me nor was i suggesting they do. We can all make our own choices. I stated mine above. A few years ago when i was a bit more naive about certain things I'd have agreed with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Dowee wrote: »
    Good luck with your upcoming season opener. Hope the health is back to somewhere near 100%

It's close enough! I've been to watch so many races at this stage that I'm itching to get out there myself no matter what shape I'm in. I'll give all I can anyway, and hopefully enjoy it too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Well i think i might be able to manage doing the swim for this. Seeing as i couldnt transfer my entry i might as well get some sort of value from it! Itll be an expensive swim but better than nothing. I'll have to TT to work then. Hopefully see some of ye before it kicks off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What's the best thing to do with open cuts or wounds before getting in the Liffey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

pgibbo wrote: »
    What's the best thing to do with open cuts or wounds before getting in the Liffey?

Small bit of antiseptic cream and cover with a waterproof dressing (eg Tegaderm or similar)? Best bet might be to stop in to a pharmacy and see what they recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Superglue (not actually joking you can buy "liquid bandages" which are superglues that you are unlikely to have a reaction to).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_bandage

Failing that superglue :) Important to note that while superglue and hot glue is often interchangeable this is not one of those times

Like dited said keep it covered, a small bit of electrical tape over it will also help hold any dressing in place.

A lot of people used to say that if you drink 2 litres of coke before you get in the water and then another 2 litres of coke when you get out you would be ok! Not sure I'd try it myself but always another option.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

joey100 wrote: »
    Like dited said keep it covered, a small bit of electrical tape over it will also help hold any dressing in place.

A lot of people used to say that if you drink 2 litres of coke before you get in the water and then another 2 litres of coke when you get out you would be ok! Not sure I'd try it myself but always another option.......;)

The pH of coke is around 3
    The pH of stomach acid is around 1.5

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

joey100 wrote: »

Two litres? Youd be spewing coke halfway through the swim. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Oryx wrote: »
    Two litres? Youd be spewing coke halfway through the swim. :P

Not to mention being wind assisted on the bike & run ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Another quick question:

For those who know the park, do you think the bit of rain today (and forecast Sat night) will make things muddy??. I feel that it should be ok due to the current nature of the ground, but am trying to choose shoe type!!!.

Thanks

Podge83 wrote: »
    Another quick question:

For those who know the park, do you think the bit of rain today (and forecast Sat night) will make things muddy??. I feel that it should be ok due to the current nature of the ground, but am trying to choose shoe type!!!.

Thanks
    Id wear normal road shoes. Even if its muddy, it will be minimal. There was only one badly chewed up section last year, most of the trail and grass was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

DCT is the only tri in the country that mentions Weils disease in their race briefing every year and hence always gets discussed on here every year. Have done the race 4 times and have never had an issue. Hopefully Sunday will be number 5. Fingers crossed and all that. Since the risk is extremely low like all other tris in the country i wont lose any sleep over it. ...as for covering cuts i really dont think this is going to helpconsidering you have your mouth open and the mucous membranes of your gums are exposed every breath of the swim. If you are going to get it you are going to get it.
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Re mud & rain I'd say it'll make little or no difference. We had a deluge all day one day last week and the ground swallowed every drop. Soil was bone dry next day. It has been very dry all summer in comparison to last year.
    The muddy patch last year was small enough under a sheltered tree-covered section if I remember correctly.

think the coke thing came from people thinking 'ah sure it cleans 20p coins, sure why wouldnt itstop you getting sick'. not recommending it to anyone but if anyone tries it let me know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

DCT is the only tri in the country that mentions Weils disease in their race briefing every year and hence always gets discussed on here every year. Have done the race 4 times and have never had an issue. Hopefully Sunday will be number 5. Fingers crossed and all that. Since the risk is extremely low like all other tris in the country i wont lose any sleep over it. ...as for covering cuts i really dont think this is going to helpconsidering you have your mouth open and the mucous membranes of your gums are exposed every breath of the swim. If you are going to get it you are going to get it.
    B

It's not the only race briefing that mentions it and the risk only exists in fresh water triathlons so that rules many races out.

Would agree with your comments regarding the risk level and regarding the mouth being a likely way to get it. I had no open cuts when i got it so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Podge83 wrote: »
    Another quick question:

Thanks

I'd be more worried about the roads being slippy for the bike leg if it rains - lots of technical bends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'd be more worried about the roads being slippy for the bike leg if it rains - lots of technical bends.

I was thinking the same thing myself. Roads got very greasy in Rosses Point this year and it made the technical sections a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 38 2Cans

Hi,
    First time DCT, cackin it!!
    Can anyone tell me what is needed to register?

• Advertisement

2Cans wrote: »
    Hi,
    First time DCT, cackin it!!
    Can anyone tell me what is needed to register?

Are you a member of TI or have you taken out a one day licence? If the former - just bring your card. If the latter - I think you need to bring a print out but I'm not sure.

Are you a member of TI or have you taken out a one day licence? If the former - just bring your card. If the latter - I think you need to bring a print out but I'm not sure.
    You do. No ODL with you, no race.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 2Cans

Yep I got ODL

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just back from registration, nice swag available and a couple of tables setup with marketing stands. Bring your ODL or TI membership card. Parking is limited in the garda club so a lot of people parking on the road.

0zq7.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck guys and gals. I'll be doing the timing tomorrow at swim start/exit. No cheating. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Best of luck guys and gals. I'll be doing the timing tomorrow at swim start/exit. No cheating. :pac:

Anything to see barechested men!! :rolleyes:

Just back from registration, nice swag available and a couple of tables setup with marketing stands. Bring your ODL or TI membership card. Parking is limited in the garda club so a lot of people parking on the road.

0zq7.jpg

Is there much in the goody bag? I'll be stopping by on my bike so don't want to have to carry much:P

They give you a draw string bag thats full, your hat, tshirt, a race brochure and a brown envelope with your race numbers and stickers.

Just a question, a race belt only has tabs on the front, do you have to have the number on front and back for this race (they give you two). In this case you would need a second race belt which is a bit mad.

They give you a draw string bag thats full, your hat, tshirt, a race brochure and a brown envelope with your race numbers and stickers.

Just a question, a race belt only has tabs on the front, do you have to have the number on front and back for this race (they give you two). In this case you would need a second race belt which is a bit mad.
    You turn the belt around. :)

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    You turn the belt around. :)

Still need two belts if you need front and back, one for front and one for back

Advertisement