Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Bone Issue

• 16-08-2013 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

9523626396_215c789c12_n.jpg

9523621868_397b6e0860_n.jpg

I bought a pack of these for my 1 year old Staff-cross to chew on. It says on the label that he should be supervised at all times because the bone can splinter. Well my dog is cracking the bone into bits and eating it in its entirety. He's not just chewing on it as he would with a cooked shin bone. I took it off him immediately, but I'm just wondering if it's very harmful. There is meat/marrow running throughout the inside of the bone. I find it hard to believe that a dog is not expected to crack it open.

Also, I've just heard that ham is not recommended for dogs because of the salt content. Is there any truth in this? If so, why are these products being sold if they're potentially harmful to dogs?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I dont know anything about the salt content but any cooked bone is dangerous as they will crack and splinter like youve just experienced. It really annoys me that these cooked/baked bone products are on sale for dogs, as it makes people think they are safe - the thinking being that they (the manufacturers) wouldnt be selling something dangerous when in fact they are selling something potentially lethal. Avoid any cooked bones like the plague, you were right to take it off your dog.

edit to add ....I dont know what the salt content of the above product is --but ham is a bit salty for dogs alright....a small bit of ham every now and again though would do no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

It has always been hard for me to understand, why manufacturers would sell something that could possibly kill it's user. But that isn't what they are interested. I was surprisingly far into my life when I made this revelation. I hope your dog is alright and that you figure out an alternative soon. Perhaps such products will be done away with in time if they are harmful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

As maggiepip said, avoid these type of bones completely. Raw bones from the butcher are far safer, and even then it's a good idea to supervise your dog while they're chewing them.

If you'd prefer not to feed a raw bone, take a look at some of the natural treats on zooplus.ie. Things like cows ears and scalp are a lot safer than cooked bones. Cow hooves are also good and last for hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Thanks for the replies. This happened on Monday, but I've only just got around to uploading the images. So the dog is fine. I'll be throwing the rest of them into the bin. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. This happened on Monday, but I've only just got around to uploading the images. So the dog is fine. I'll be throwing the rest of them into the bin. Thanks again.

Raw meaty brisket bones from the butcher!!! Spotless teeth and cleans out the other end too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hooked wrote: »
    Raw meaty brisket bones from the butcher!!! Spotless teeth and cleans out the other end too!

eh...what does a brisket bone look like - I may have bene getting them without knowing lol?! :p

tk123 wrote: »
    eh...what does a brisket bone look like - I may have bene getting them without knowing lol?! :p

null_zps9a807da2.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Cow's ears, bull pizzles, and the like are great. You can also get various hard-wearing flavoured chews from Nylabone too which will clean teeth while not being as disgusting as some of the others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

kylith wrote: »
    Cow's ears, bull pizzles, and the like are great. You can also get various hard-wearing flavoured chews from Nylabone too which will clean teeth while not being as disgusting as some of the others.
    Don't feed Nylabones if I remember correctly; DBB has two chipped teeth in his dog because of them (stag bones on the other hand are fine).

Nody wrote: »
    Don't feed Nylabones if I remember correctly; DBB has two chipped teeth in HER dog because of them (stag bones on the other hand are fine).

in 'her' dog... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Boogiewoogie

I think it's the other way round Nody. Pretty sure it was a Stag bone that did the chipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

ODG

I can just imagine going into the butcher's shop and asking for that. :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think it's the other way round Nody. Pretty sure it was a Stag bone that did the chipping.
    Correct; I had to go back and look it up as I could not remember which way it went :)
    DBB wrote:
    Chicken bones are super teeth cleaners, and are soft enough not to cause damage to teeth. I won't give big weight-bearing bones at all here, they're too hard for my liking and I feel they're potentially damaging to teeth... You'll have to forgive my obsession with teeth! My young GSD has damaged all 4 of her canine teeth on those bloody antler chews, so any very hard bone or chew now sends me into a tizz!
    Post number 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hooked wrote: »
    in 'her' dog... :P

You've been here long enough to spot that all the best posters on API are girls? ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dubl07 wrote: »
    ODG

I can just imagine going into the butcher's shop and asking for that. :eek:

You can buy them dried in pet shops and online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You can buy them dried in pet shops and online.

My lot go mad for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Csn you imagine them getting stopped in customs & having to explain that!!!

Advertisement