Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VDSL: Do you retain a POTS back to exhange with the resellers?

• 16-08-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just curious really. My VDSL reseller here in Germany (and AFAIK ALL VDSL resellers here) only supply you with internet and telephony is handled by VoIP. So there's no POTS line back to the exchange from my place. Only Deutsche Telekom offer the retention of the POTS line to VDSL customers.

What's the situation like in Ireland? So far I have only seen UTV openly advertising a VDSL only option (€25 a month for unlimited downloads) which explicity comes with no POTS line, but it looks like all their bundles that include telephony have the standard Eircom "line rental" charge included, so presumably DO include the POTS line?

Any of the resellers offering no POTS and telephony over VoIP instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

murphaph wrote: »
    I'm just curious really. My VDSL reseller here in Germany (and AFAIK ALL VDSL resellers here) only supply you with internet and telephony is handled by VoIP. So there's no POTS line back to the exchange from my place. Only Deutsche Telekom offer the retention of the POTS line to VDSL customers.

What's the situation like in Ireland? So far I have only seen UTV openly advertising a VDSL only option (€25 a month for unlimited downloads) which explicity comes with no POTS line, but it looks like all their bundles that include telephony have the standard Eircom "line rental" charge included, so presumably DO include the POTS line?

Any of the resellers offering no POTS and telephony over VoIP instead?

there are two options for VDSL

1) Broadband only - no POTS - can support VOIP
    2) Broadband and POTS - can support standard voice

All services require a physical phone line but this is nearly always included in the price - variant "1" though has no voice service

Vodafone Simply broadband is broadband only and other providers also have both variants too.

Vodas offerings http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband#planGallery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭_John C

Heres something to bare in mind about going for a "no POTS" service. If you have a power cut your modem wont work and you will have no VOIP service, so no telephone calls during a power outage.

But most people have mobiles these days anyway.

Advertisement