Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney Junior now has ads

Options
  • 16-08-2013 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

I noticed last month Disney Junior started showing disney related ads in between programmes,

my daughter loves shows on Nick Jr, but the ads put me off letting her watch it,
    Disney Junior was great for avoiding these kind of things especially ads which are not child appropriate but clearly aimed at the adults watching tv with their children as you'd see on Nick jr., but alas its no more, :mad:

today i noticed not only are they now advertising lellie kelly shoes??? and samsung products?? the ads are getting longer and longer day by day so they are gradually phasing them in.

with all the money Disney makes, why the ads?

has any other parent noticed this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I can't say I have noticed! I'll have to be extra vigilant while they watch Sofia the First tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I noticed the ads too. Used to be great when there was none!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I assumed they didn't have any ads as the programmes were just one long ad themselves. It was the best form of marketing. Evidence of which is in our playroom.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

highly1111 wrote: »
    I assumed they didn't have any ads as the programmes were just one long ad themselves. It was the best form of marketing. Evidence of which is in our playroom.....

i don't mind that as much, my 4 year old is convinced she wants to be a doctor like Doc and looks so adorable in the white lab coat! :pac:

sillysocks wrote: »
    I noticed the ads too. Used to be great when there was none!

i loved it too, nick jr has some great programmes but if she's watching tv for 1 hour and only 40 minutes of that is actual programming the rest is ads targeting her to buy stuff she doesn't need, or home insurance??? at least with the toy ads we could tell her that was Santa showing her what he could make and she'd have to wait until Christmas to get them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

We noticed that too a few weeks ago, they're slowly adding more and more in. We stick on cbeebies instead now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Netflix has completely replaced kids TV for us. No ads, and they get to watch whatever their obsession is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

We have Saorview and a Freeview box, so none of those channels thank god. I think RTE Jr and Cbeebies are great anyway and I record some of the wee man's favourite programmes for the odd time there's nothing on. I have to laugh at how different things are for kids now, between recording and YouTube, they think everything is on demand!

Mind you, first thing he looks for when he goes to his grandparents' is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

We have Saorview and a Freeview box.....
    Mind you, first thing he looks for when he goes to his grandparents' is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse:rolleyes:

Keep an eye on ITV every Saturday and Sunday morning between 6am and 7am. For some strange reason they seem to show a lot of Disney shows at this time! I have recorded Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Handy Manny, Jake and the Never Land Pirates and The Hive at this time. They are currently showing The Avengers but keep any eye out!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I never noticed either but mostly they watch Nick jr,Tg4 and Netflix.
    The eldest loves Sophia but i record it for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

branners69 wrote: »
    Keep an eye on ITV every Saturday and Sunday morning between 6am and 7am. For some strange reason they seem to show a lot of Disney shows at this time! I have recorded Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Handy Manny, Jake and the Never Land Pirates and The Hive at this time. They are currently showing The Avengers but keep any eye out!!

Brilliant, thanks! I never think of ITV.

• Advertisement

Cúla4 na nÓg on TG4 is worth a look too in the mornings. It's been a fair bit since we had it on for the kids but I believe it's ad free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

nesf wrote: »
    Netflix has completely replaced kids TV for us. No ads, and they get to watch whatever their obsession is at the moment.

i took this advice and put netflix on the ipad, she is in love with it, all the max and ruby, blues clues and disney movies she wants all at her fingertips,

plus its easier for some strange reason to get her away from the ipad afterwards to go do something different.

less ads = whole tv show in tv time = no longer upset at only seeing half her show in her tv time :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Slightly off topic, but, we got our little guy a 'Pingu' dvd as it was on special in Deals..

I'm shocked at how bad it is! I threw it out after one watch.. not only is there zero dialogue in it, but in one episode, the little penguin, having been coerced into eating his vegetables, goes into the toilet and vomits it all back up.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing :eek: shocking!

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i took this advice and put netflix on the ipad, she is in love with it, all the max and ruby, blues clues and disney movies she wants all at her fingertips,

plus its easier for some strange reason to get her away from the ipad afterwards to go do something different.

less ads = whole tv show in tv time = no longer upset at only seeing half her show in her tv time :D

The issue with netflix and the iPad is that there's no way to activate parental controls on that and not the entire account and the implementation of parental controls sucks (you can't enter a password to disable it for X amount of time, no you have to completely disable it from a PC and then log in and out on your device to change things). You do get a record of everything ever watched that can't be altered but this is a double edged sword, Recently Watched lets me see if your kid's been watching anything unsuitable but it also gives your kid quick access to say, Orange is the New Black if you were watching it recently.

It's not been an issue for us because they don't to use the iPad when not in earshot and our daughter's reaction to leaving the "Just for Kids" area by accident is "Dada! The iPad is broken!" But it's potentially something.

xzanti wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but, we got our little guy a 'Pingu' dvd as it was on special in Deals..

I'm shocked at how bad it is! I threw it out after one watch.. not only is there zero dialogue in it, but in one episode, the little penguin, having been coerced into eating his vegetables, goes into the toilet and vomits it all back up.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing :eek: shocking!

Try Pocoyo, it's similar to Pingu in terms of almost totally non-verbal (so good for young kids) but Stephen Fry narrates it which makes it rather wonderful in many parts. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My girls love Pocoyo and Zingzilla's on Cbeebies.

Advertisement