Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple TV - For me?

• 16-08-2013 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

So I'm thinking of getting Apple TV.

It's cheap enough, so I can't really go wrong can I?

Is the third generation still jailbreakable? I've lots of stuff in other formats I'd want to stream....

However, I have my music uploaded to Google music, is there anyway to play that stuff through the device?

Is there a Google alternative to Apple TV?

Just looking for the best solution that incorporates stuff I've downloaded, Netflix, YouTube etc with the option of Google music....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Google's offering, soon to be released in Europe, Apple TV better IMHO but might help you decide.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/#netflix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

IF you have your own content that you want to stream take a look at the Sky NowTV box over on BA:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85701170

You can side load the Roku Plex client and use that to stream to your TV. I believe it will work with the Netflix plugin installed on the server. At the end of the day, for a tenner you can't go far wrong. I'm waiting for mine to arrive at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

That looks cool alright!

I agree though, Apple TV seems better - looks like you need a device to play the media on before sending it to Chromecast. What if you want to use your device while watching Netflix?! :D

stimpson wrote: »
    IF you have your own content that you want to stream take a look at the Sky NowTV box over on BA:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85701170

You can side load the Roku Plex client and use that to stream to your TV. I believe it will work with the Netflix plugin installed on the server. At the end of the day, for a tenner you can't go far wrong. I'm waiting for mine to arrive at the moment!

Looks cool, but doesn't look as though Netflix is on it...Also it's 'hacked to bits' according to the thread. :D

Just want something simple enough. :)

It's a cut down Roku box. Installing Plex is a 2 minute job with a browser. You do need a machine to run Plex Server, but it runs on Windows, Mac or Linux.

There is then a Netflix plugin for Plex which should give you access to Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I have a Roku box (annoyingly bought just before the bargain alert for €60) and it's OK. It comes into its own with Plex, otherwise I wouldn't use it that much as the channels are mostly rubbish. If you can get that NowTV version for that price I'd jump on it.

I also have an Apple TV, and I prefer that simply because of Airplay. You can mirror your iPhone/iPad or computer screen meaning you can watch streaming content from websites on your TV. I really don't think the lack of channels available on Apple TV is a reason not to get it as most, if not all, the free channels on Roku really are third rate. You'd want to be brain dead to watch them. The only downside with Apple TV is the lack of Plex, which avoids the need to convert movies and stick them in iTunes. The third generation of Apple TV is not jailbreakable and there is a way of getting Plex on it but it looks like a bit of a hassle to me.

Cheers for the replies so far.

I just had a look at this:

http://marketingland.com/compared-google-chromecast-apple-tv-roku-53291

No YouTube on Roku?

And the last poster put me off it.

I suppose I'm looking for something that will be multi platform compatible with iOS and Google - not asking for much!! I understand this may never truly happen so just looking to 'invest' in one.

I could just use MP4's, but using iTunes would be a pain. I don't use it at all, despite having an iPhone.

Apple TV does seem like the easiest, hassle free (with a few caveats re mp4) option.

Cheers for the replies so far.

I just had a look at this:

http://marketingland.com/compared-google-chromecast-apple-tv-roku-53291

No YouTube on Roku?

And the last poster put me off it.

I suppose I'm looking for something that will be multi platform compatible with iOS and Google - not asking for much!! I understand this may never truly happen so just looking to 'invest' in one.

I could just use MP4's, but using iTunes would be a pain. I don't use it at all, despite having an iPhone.

Apple TV does seem like the easiest, hassle free (with a few caveats re mp4) option.

You can use Plex for Youtube. You can even add youtube videos to your Plex queue straight from your browser. If you have a PC, download the Plex client and server from http://www.plexapp.com/getplex/ . Run them on your PC and see if you like it. They're both free.

stimpson wrote: »
    You can use Plex for Youtube. You can even add youtube videos to your Plex queue straight from your browser. If you have a PC, download the Plex client and server from http://www.plexapp.com/getplex/ . Run them on your PC and see if you like it. They're both free.

Cool, I'll do that thanks.

Edit: There'll actually be some very very non-technical people using this - I should've mentioned that so I'll see if it suits. :)

Actually, if I do get Apple TV, can I use the US Netflix on it?? Or on any of the solutions for that matter?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 shazysps

how much apple tv cost, and how it works?

€109

Basically a media box less than the size of a fist which you plug in to your tv using HDMI cable. I use it mainly for Youtube and Netflix. It uses Wifi ( or you can cable it ) to connect to internet.

Also use it in conjunction with my ipad and iphone to put stuff onto the tv. Also listen to the odd podcast and look at pictures with Flickr as well as showing off photo library from hard drive on home computer. Also watch some MLB and NBA highlights on it.

I use it a lot !

Berty44 wrote: »
    €109

Basically a media box less than the size of a fist which you plug in to your tv using HDMI cable. I use it mainly for Youtube and Netflix. It uses Wifi ( or you can cable it ) to connect to internet.

Also use it in conjunction with my ipad and iphone to put stuff onto the tv. Also listen to the odd podcast and look at pictures with Flickr as well as showing off photo library from hard drive on home computer. Also watch some MLB and NBA highlights on it.

I use it a lot !

I hear they've a deal with the NHL too. That could be coo!! :)

Apple TV3 has been out since 2012. They're probably due an update though?

I have Apple TV2 ( not jailbroken ) and from what I can see there is little difference between 2 and 3 ( except 3 cannot be jailbroken ). Download regular updates ( like one last week ) which added on a SkyNews app on the Home screen as well as some other stuff I don't use.

You can use gamepass with your MLB/NBA, if they have done a deal with NHL presumably that as well if it comes.

Can you get the US Netflix on it?

I sure you can but I have not tried, already too much stuff to watch on tv and netflix as it is.

I'm sure some of our more techy savy posters will enlighten us.

I found another thread. Playmo.tv, I think works, which is what I use currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i recently got an atv3, refurbished from the US. haven't played with it that much, quality of netflix seems better than on xbox 360.

i can't seem to get homesharing working tho' - any tips on that?

edit : I asked this in BA but didn't get a response - are there any security implications to changing the router DNS settings?

So I went for the Apple TV on Saturday. More than happy with it. Airplay is cool too! :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I don't think anyone has mentioned this before, but the portability of this is a huge benefit. On hols at the mo and brought atv - so instead of having ltd channels, we have Netflix and AirPlay.

• Advertisement

ablelocks wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this before, but the portability of this is a huge benefit. On hols at the mo and brought atv - so instead of having ltd channels, we have Netflix and AirPlay.

That's great alright! Didn't think of it as something I'd bring away before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Berty44 wrote: »
    I have Apple TV2 ( not jailbroken ) and from what I can see there is little difference between 2 and 3 ( except 3 cannot be jailbroken ). Download regular updates ( like one last week ) which added on a SkyNews app on the Home screen as well as some other stuff I don't use.

You can use gamepass with your MLB/NBA, if they have done a deal with NHL presumably that as well if it comes.

Biggest improvement of ATV3 was the upgraded CPU/GPU allowing 1080p output.

My philosophy is keep your media system as simple to use as possible. Who wants to sit down after a hard day only to faff about for 20 minutes updating or tweaking settings to get a movie playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Can it play movies from a USB stick ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

Piliger wrote: »
    Can it play movies from a USB stick ?

no

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BigSean

Minix Neo X5... (dual core 1.6, 1DDR3 Ram, Android 4.1) Hulu, netflix and NFL Gamepass App runs in full hd live stream on TV thru HDMI cable. Wireless and Lan .... around €100 in europe and $100 in most other places US, Aus etc.... I gave used it for 2013 to watch NFL live from Austria and has never missed a beat. Works like a dream. Android Mini PC snd about same size as apple TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

Can you get the US Netflix on it?

You can quite easily set up US Netflix. You can pay for Netflix with an Irish Credit card but you also need a VPN service such as playmo which allows the Apple TV to think its in US.

You will need to set the apple tv to US which makes switching back to your Irish account a balls, you wont have access to iTunes Match whilst using the US service unless you pay for that as a US user.

Setting your Apple TV with a VPN has many advantages such as access to iTunes Radio (free), Netflix and Hulu Plus (for small monthly fee)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,801 ✭✭✭lertsnim

For airplay alone it is worth it in my opinion. Handy to fire something across to the tv from the iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

am i right in assuming once i get this apple tv gizmo and have internet ill be able to access all this entertainment for free...once ive paid for the box of course..so i could in theory get rid of my sky box..

Advertisement