Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

variable mortgage extra payments worth it?

Options
  • 16-08-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

hi all,
    hoping im on the right forum...if anyone is good a sums/ mortgages....

i have a large variable mortgage,
    I contacted mortgage people yesterday to check there wont be penalties to send in a postal order/ cheque to pay off more in addition to the regular monthly payment, was told there's not,
    the man said the amount (say i sent in 1000 euro) would come off the amount left on house or shorten the time ... (i'd like to do both)
    if i send in 1000 euro will it be subject only to the 5% (approx) interest rate im on or I'm afraid they'll will take the the amount for interest and nothing comes off my mortgage? (ive been paying for 5 years but end of year statements seem to show money is paying more interest and not much off mortgage itself yet ). am i best just keeping money for a rainy day!
    any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

moved to the banking etc. forum, since this seems more appropriate to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

If your interest rate is around 5% and you can afford to pay off a bit more, while still keeping cash for a rainy day, then its definitely a good idea to do so. Any payment made will come straight off the principal outstanding. saving you considerable interest in the long term and reducing the life of your mortgage. I was able to pay mine off in 12 years, but it was a pre-celtic tiger mortgage!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 strawberry1

thank you all!:)

Advertisement