Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning from Canada

Options
  • 16-08-2013 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hey folks, just wondering if anyone has made the move home from Canada, having lived there for a couple of years? If so how was the move back, how are you finding Ireland? Are you working, could you get dole etc?
    I'm flying back Friday week having been in Canada for 3 years(reluctantly) I am hearing mixed reports re work. I dont kow what to expect!
    Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 shazysps

why are you returning?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

because my visa expires in September

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

not yet, but I will be soon.

I dont think its as bad as people make out, especially not in my line of work (IT)

I was told yesterday, that you wouldnt get a spot on the street in Dublin these days, not too encouraging! But my folks tell me different. I figured they would say that though so as to not worry me. So you dont think its as bad as people are making out retalivity?
    I'm starting a course when I get home, i'm not entitled to apply for a grant, or the dole, just hoping to get a job one day a week if i can.
    How come you're leaving Canada retalivity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

amber, how did you enjoy your time in canada? Would you stay there if you could? Hoping to go next year:)

• Advertisement

zweton wrote: »
    amber, how did you enjoy your time in canada? Would you stay there if you could? Hoping to go next year:)

I absolutely would stay here if I could. Canada is amazing! I have seen a lot of it, and everywhere is so different. I have lived in 3 different provinces and visited 7. I think a lot of people get caught up in staying in one place, if you can afford it, travel, it's so worth it!
    I have no doubt you will enjoy your time here. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. I have had my ups and downs out here!

amber23 wrote: »
    So you dont think its as bad as people are making out retalivity?

I suppose it depends on what you do. I was back for 2 weeks in June on a holiday, and i've a lot of friends still working away all over the country. most of the people i know that have left have been tradespeople or teachers.
    How come you're leaving Canada retalivity?

I've never really liked it. I had reasons to be here but if it wasnt for those, then i'd have gone a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cormthechippie

Hmm, was just thinking had someone already started a thread like this and so they have.

Planning on heading home at Christmas for good. Two years in Canada in September, miss my family and friends but mostly the Irish way of life.. winding roads, greenery, the craic. I'm apprehensive about it, will I get enough work, having to live back at home with the parents until I find my feet (jaysus) . If it's a case of the grass being greener and things don't work out back in the old country, well I'll be a Permanent Resident of Canada so I'll be suckin' diesel should I want to go back.

things don't work out back in the old country, well I'll be a Permanent Resident of Canada so I'll be suckin' diesel should I want to go back.

you do know that as a PR, you need to spend no more than 18 months out of the country to keep it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Micks26

Sup man. I've been out of work now for close to a year and a half. Throughout that time I've been applying for lots and lots of jobs. One's the suit my employment profile and one's that don't, basically I haven't been in anyway fussy. In my experience the job market here is horrific, I'm sorry, but it is, and it's not purely down to the economy. Employers are getting greedy and are more than happy to exploit potential employees. Why hire and pay somebody to do a job when they can get someone from the Fas scheme to work for free for six months, let them go, and then re hire some else again for another six months???

Obviously there are some exceptions, for example the IT sector in fairness does seem to be vibrant, but in general I think the job market at the moment is an employers dream and an employee's nightmare, and things are only going to continue this way, if not actually get worse.

• Advertisement

I absolutely would stay here if I could. Canada is amazing! I have seen a lot of it, and everywhere is so different. I have lived in 3 different provinces and visited 7. I think a lot of people get caught up in staying in one place, if you can afford it, travel, it's so worth it!
    I have no doubt you will enjoy your time here. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. I have had my ups and downs out here!

amber, out of curiosity. Which city did you like the most out of the ones you settled in and why? Are there any must visit places you remember?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Micks26

All you need to know here.

This is the reality of what I'm talking about;

http://www.thejournal.ie/jobbridge-ardscoil-ris-1036427-Aug2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Hey folks, just wondering if anyone has made the move home from Canada, having lived there for a couple of years? If so how was the move back, how are you finding Ireland? Are you working, could you get dole etc?
    I'm flying back Friday week having been in Canada for 3 years(reluctantly) I am hearing mixed reports re work. I dont kow what to expect!
    Thanks

Get ready for the constant, why did you come back to this kip?

Yip, i had it when i came back from Auz.

ciaran67 wrote: »

sure its already popped up in this thread!

amber, out of curiosity. Which city did you like the most out of the ones you settled in and why? Are there any must visit places you remember?

Hi Zweton,

tonnes of must visit places...I lived in Toronto for a year and a half, it's a great city, but not what i was really looking for out of Canada. I'm more of an outdoorsy sort of person, Toronto is a city slickers dream though! I lived in Southern Interior BC for 5 months, and loved it! It's a beautiful place, but unfortunately hard enough to find work there. I'm now living in Calgary, it's not an amazing city, but so close to the mountains which really makes living here worth while! that and the lower GST i find makes a huge difference.
    It's pretty funny to see actual cowboys walking around the place too

Must places to visit, to name just a few, Newfoundland, its a home away from home! They are so similar to us, in so many ways! They're abusing you within minutes of meeting you, the culture is pretty much the same, and so is their scenery. Probably the nicest people i have met in Canada.
    Cape Breton in Nova Scotia, in Autumn time, stunning! rolling hills full of colourful trees. Halifiax is a great city too, very pretty.
    Northwest Territories, (yellowknife) we went in the winter time, it was -40 BUT we saw the aurora all 3 nights we were there, and went snowmobiling, lots of fun. The aurora is incredible
    Tofino on Vancouver island, in particular the Big Tree Trail. you get a water taxi over to Mears island, its unreal, 1500 year old trees, feels very prehistoric! Loved it there!
    And Jasper is an obvious one, Banff doesnt have a patch on it, the Ice Field parkway is just so typical Canada, absolutely stunning! The Rockies are a permanent backdrop to every setting there.

Anyway I could go on for hours about amazing places in Canada, so I had better stop now!

Micks26 wrote: »
    Sup man. I've been out of work now for close to a year and a half. Throughout that time I've been applying for lots and lots of jobs. One's the suit my employment profile and one's that don't, basically I haven't been in anyway fussy. In my experience the job market here is horrific, I'm sorry, but it is, and it's not purely down to the economy. Employers are getting greedy and are more than happy to exploit potential employees. Why hire and pay somebody to do a job when they can get someone from the Fas scheme to work for free for six months, let them go, and then re hire some else again for another six months???

Obviously there are some exceptions, for example the IT sector in fairness does seem to be vibrant, but in general I think the job market at the moment is an employers dream and an employee's nightmare, and things are only going to continue this way, if not actually get worse.

This is what I'm dreading! I'm starting a course in September, but if i cant get a weekend job, i wont have a penny to my name. The pure backwardsness will frustrate me

it's funny you say that, because my boyfriends parents have told him to stay away if he can, but mine are making out like everything is grand and dandy at home!

it's funny you say that, because my boyfriends parents have told him to stay away if he can, but mine are making out like everything is grand and dandy at home!

We made sure we did the things we truly missed while in Vancouver for the previous 7 years. You sound more than capable of handling it and you can always come back, we did.

:)

We made sure we did the things we truly missed while in Vancouver for the previous 7 years. You sound more than capable of handling it and you can always come back, we did.

:)

Thanks Ciaran67, that is definitely something I have thought about, I plan to keep up the good habits from here.
    So you went back for 7 years, and then went back to Canada?

• Advertisement

Thanks Ciaran67, that is definitely something I have thought about, I plan to keep up the good habits from here.
    So you went back for 7 years, and then went back to Canada?

Yep 7 years then 8 years back over in London and Dublin.

We did 4 back in London and then 4 in Ireland, arriving just as the economy crashed. Us English/Irish always look at Ireland through rose tinted glasses, we'd spend the summer in Dublin surrounded by family running wild - great days indeed. Living there was a bit different but still a laugh.

We had about 40 flights in 4 years going off all over Europe when ever we could. That was fun. Whistler and Seattle become a tad boring after a while when thats all you can afford to get to.

We did 4 back in London and then 4 in Ireland, arriving just as the economy crashed. Us English/Irish always look at Ireland through rose tinted glasses, we'd spend the summer in Dublin surrounded by family running wild - great days indeed. Living there was a bit different but still a laugh.

We had about 40 flights in 4 years going off all over Europe when ever we could. That was fun. Whistler and Seattle become a tad boring after a while when thats all you can afford to get to.

ciaran, do you think you will settle down in van? Would it be very hard to get setup with a mortgage over there?
    Not that i want to but just saying if i really liked the place, down the line like.

40 Flights in 4 years :eek::eek::eek: thats impressive!

ciaran, do you think you will settle down in van? Would it be very hard to get setup with a mortgage over there?
    Not that i want to but just saying if i really liked the place, down the line like.

Oh yea we're pretty settled. Makes it easier when you cant go back cos the lack of jobs.

Mortgage... i can safely say I will never own my own property unless I move from Vancouver. Its way to expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

If you can afford to buy a house in Vancouver then you must have an unreal job. I know of an ok wooden house for sale on King Edward and Dunbar for $1.7m!

A lot of Asian investors are buying up all the property.
    @Amber I wouldn't be too worried, I'd imagine settling in Ireland is much easier! But yeah Canada is pretty cool. Miss the banter though!

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    If you can afford to buy a house in Vancouver then you must have an unreal job. I know of an ok wooden house for sale on King Edward and Dunbar for $1.7m!

Most houses round Dunbar are that Kev. Sometimes I pick up from the really rich neighbourhoods people who lived there for 60 odd years. When you help them in its a time capsule inside. One fella I know on Nanaimo & 24th (not ritzy area) has lived in the same house for 96 years. He remembers fields opposite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

because my visa expires in September

Why didnt you apply for permanent residency if you've been here 3 years?!

COYVB wrote: »
    Why didnt you apply for permanent residency if you've been here 3 years?!

you have to have skilled work experience, you cant just apply. i had a year and a half of skilled, but you needed 2 years, which changed in january. i was advised by a government official that i couldnt apply, but then after my own research, i discovered i could, but it wasnt on time. my application is in but it could take anything from 14months to 2 years, so im here until then

you have to have skilled work experience, you cant just apply. i had a year and a half of skilled, but you needed 2 years, which changed in january. i was advised by a government official that i couldnt apply, but then after my own research, i discovered i could, but it wasnt on time. my application is in but it could take anything from 14months to 2 years, so im here until then

you know you can get a temporary work permit once you have your residency application in to bridge you until a decision is made on your case....?
    EDIT: I saw you have already left and are back in Ireland so i guess it doesn't matter now.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    you know you can get a temporary work permit once you have your residency application in to bridge you until a decision is made on your case....?
    EDIT: I saw you have already left and are back in Ireland so i guess it doesn't matter now.

you have to have passed first phase of PR, while your current work permit is still active. mine is not and i havent passed first phase, so i wouldnt have gotten the bridging visa. the only other option was an LMO

Advertisement