Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonakilty Marathon

Options
  • 16-08-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭

Any boardsie doing this event this year or any boardsie with prior experience of it, even the half or mini marathon??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Done the 6 mile run two years ago. Lovely scenery and enjoyable run. Think their was a thread on this race here last year.....if you can find it.
    As far as i can remember, the marathon/half marathon course is tougher (hilly) than your normal marathon course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Was going to do this.....until I read the thread about last years race and Im going to pass now

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

Was going to do this.....until I read the thread about last years race and Im going to pass now

i did it last year and the start suffered from overcrowding since it was started at Inchydoney. This year they are back to starting in the town which you would hope fixes those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

I've done this for the last three years. I thought last year was an absolute disaster- crowded, traffic problems getting to Inchidoney, very late start, little on offer at finish line. I would have to say I really enjoyed the first two years, though, so now that they're moving back into the town i would expect it to be much better, the problems last year were pretty much all associated with the change of start line.
    The half marathon is a tough enough route, but around a lovely area, nice quiet country roads, great atmosphere around Clonakilty at finish when it started and ended there. It is a bit over-priced, though, in my opinion. So, would I recommend it? It's on at a time when half marathons are hard to find, so it's possibly a good winter target if you're from that area or further west, otherwise you might be better off opting for the Waterford half that's on around then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

The waterfront was my first half last year. I haven't done too many halves or full marathons to compare it too since then. Apart from the parking fiasco and the lack of supplies initially at the end of the race, it was a good day out. I will be doing it again this year as i enjoyed it overall. Its just a question of whether to do the full or the half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Corkie100 wrote: »
    I've done this for the last three years. I thought last year was an absolute disaster- crowded, traffic problems getting to Inchidoney, very late start, little on offer at finish line. I would have to say I really enjoyed the first two years, though, so now that they're moving back into the town i would expect it to be much better, the problems last year were pretty much all associated with the change of start line.
    The half marathon is a tough enough route, but around a lovely area, nice quiet country roads, great atmosphere around Clonakilty at finish when it started and ended there. It is a bit over-priced, though, in my opinion. So, would I recommend it? It's on at a time when half marathons are hard to find, so it's possibly a good winter target if you're from that area or further west, otherwise you might be better off opting for the Waterford half that's on around then too.

+1 on all of that.

Ill still probably run this year despite the issues last year. Not sure yet whether it will be the full or half.
    Clon is a great town if you are planning on staying on after the event and thats a big plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Any further thoughts on this, seriously considering registering for it even though ive only really taken up running in recent weeks i can currently manage 7 miles without a problem so i reckon i should be ok by the time this comes around in december

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

slingerz wrote: »
    Any further thoughts on this, seriously considering registering for it even though ive only really taken up running in recent weeks i can currently manage 7 miles without a problem so i reckon i should be ok by the time this comes around in december

Go for the half. It will provide just the incentive you need to keep training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

A friend of mine is thinking of running this so looks like I might be there to keep them company. Read all the negative stuff from last year but assume (hope) they have learned from that.

opus wrote: »
    A friend of mine is thinking of running this so looks like I might be there to keep them company. Read all the negative stuff from last year but assume (hope) they have learned from that.

i believe the start was out at inchadoney island last year and the logicistics of that wasnt feasible. from what i can make out the start is at the waterfront (old GAA pitch) and continues out towards inchadoney from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I'm another in two minds about this, after running the half last year. I loved the race itself, but the organisational chaos left me cold (figuratively and literally). At this time of year, down south, it's either this or Waterford for HM, so I may do it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I paced the marathon last year and found it to be a tough course but the scenery more than made up for it for me.
    I spoke to the organisers before and afterwards and have seen them a few times since then also. They are real running people and have expanded to the B2B marathons in Feb, the Courtmac ultra a few weeks ago and I think they have also a couple of other things brewing. I've seen Bob in various races in the past year so he's very conscious of what a runner requires, thus changing the start/finish back to Clon (He had external issues which meant it was not feasible last year, hence Inchydoney start/finish).

I'd expect that most/all of those issues from last year should be fixed this year. If I wasn't away that weekend I'd be dropping down to Clon again myself.

this is going to be my first half anyway so quite nervous about it. Time wise i would love to come under 2hours but i think beating 2.15 would be great and beating 2.30 perhaps more realistic.

thing is i havent even done a 10k yet so quite nervous about even lasting the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ertred

I'm going to do the half - first timer as well. Can anyone advise if it's feasible to stay in Cork City the night before and travel up for the day, was thinking of bringing the clan with me for the weekend?

ertred wrote: »
    I'm going to do the half - first timer as well. Can anyone advise if it's feasible to stay in Cork City the night before and travel up for the day, was thinking of bringing the clan with me for the weekend?

It is feasible, its about a 45 minute drive to clon from the city centre. Clon itself is a nice place to stay too but understand the clan may want to go shopping while your off for your run.

Staying in the city is only going to add to your logistics on race day thats all

Any further interest in this event with Boardsies?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I'm in I reckon, won't be going for anything like my Dublin time, but would like to set a marker on the course at least for next year.

Not looking forward to those hills especially if its a wet and windy day, but it'll make me keep the training going up until just before Christmas at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I signed up for this yesterday, Decided on doing the half over the 10K, Bit of a challange to myself and the wife has decided to give the 10k a lash.
    I read about the problems from last year and hopefully the change of start should solve the issues.

I will run it, but will take it reasonably easy.
    Gotta celebrate your 50th marathon, don't you? :D

I will run it, but will take it reasonably easy.
    Gotta celebrate your 50th marathon, don't you? :D

Jaysus Thomas, how many is that so in 2013........10 in 10 plus what, maybe 5/6 more?

Congrats, thats a great milestone!

I havent commited to the race yet, will see how the legs are this week post Dublin and I may sign up next week. Its a race and a route that I enjoy.

• Advertisement

Sounds like there should be a few in for it so. Going to be my first half so ye'll all be well ahead of me anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Does anyone know how this course compares to the likes of Dingle or Connemara? Is it similar in terms of hills?

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Jaysus Thomas, how many is that so in 2013........10 in 10 plus what, maybe 5/6 more?

Congrats, thats a great milestone!

It will be 18 for the year - well, 15 marathons and 3 ultras.

Tralee, Killarney, Cork, Portumna 50k, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Connemara 100 miles, Dublin, Sixmilebridge 30 miles, Clonakilty

^^^
    oh, and before someone needs to point it out unnecessarily:
    Yes, there are plenty of guys who have run way, way, WAY more marathons this year. ;)

It will be 18 for the year - well, 15 marathons and 3 ultras.

Tralee, Killarney, Cork, Portumna 50k, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Sixmilebridge, Connemara 100 miles, Dublin, Sixmilebridge 30 miles, Clonakilty

Your forgot to mention sixmilebridge...

you must know sixmilebridge like the back of your hand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Think I'll find out soon if I'm going to be in Clon or not as agreed to run there with a friend but he's been sitting on the fence for the last few weeks. A decision was promised today :)

And the decision is that we're doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Corkie100 wrote: »

I did the half last year. Loved the course, but the organisation was disastrous, and it wasn't cheap. It's the only time I've ever been really taken aback by how disorganised a race was - I'll usually take a bit of delay / queueing etc in my stride, but I think the stress of parking, the length of the delays, especially in such cold weather, the chaos at the bag drop, the lack of info about revised start times, only black pudding to eat at the finish line etc just made it a memorably poor race. It will probably be much better now that they've moved the start back to town, but to be honest I'd be reluctant to go back. It's a pity, as the course was lovely and there was great support in the villages along the route.

feedback from last years race doesnt seem to be great so hopefully all efforts will have been made to ensure that this one will be well organised and setup meeting all the standards expected.

as its my first i wouldnt be able to tell whether its good, bad or indifferent!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

slingerz wrote: »
    feedback from last years race doesnt seem to be great so hopefully all efforts will have been made to ensure that this one will be well organised and setup meeting all the standards expected.

as its my first i wouldnt be able to tell whether its good, bad or indifferent!

I bet it will be much better, and actually my friend did it with me last year and, like you, it was her first, and as you say above, she didn't have anything to compare it with so she loved it and would like to do it again.

Enjoy, and best of luck! We went to a really nice café after on the mainstreet in Clon, so look out for that for post race soup & scones!

Advertisement