Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonakilty Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

slingerz wrote: »
    feedback from last years race doesnt seem to be great so hopefully all efforts will have been made to ensure that this one will be well organised and setup meeting all the standards expected.

as its my first i wouldnt be able to tell whether its good, bad or indifferent!

Between one thing and another, it was moved out to the Inchadonny Hotel which caused a lot of logistic problems but they have been given the go ahead to bring it back into the town centre this December which should sort out last years congestion and confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Going to run this as my first half. Ran 17km yesterday so starting to increase the mileage before December. Have ran a few 10km's races before but this is something else. My only worry is the hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Going to run this as my first half. Ran 17km yesterday so starting to increase the mileage before December. Have ran a few 10km's races before but this is something else. My only worry is the hills!

Your better prepared than me and its my first half as well! my longest run so far is 13K going to go for a long run next Monday of 15K as my long run beforehand as well as one more 10K race.

Worried about the hills (and the weather!) but i reckon i'll just take it as it comes and finish it as best i can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Your better prepared than me and its my first half as well! my longest run so far is 13K going to go for a long run next Monday of 15K as my long run beforehand as well as one more 10K race.

Worried about the hills (and the weather!) but i reckon i'll just take it as it comes and finish it as best i can

If I remember rightly, there are a lot of downs as well as ups!

I think the main thing is taper for the race week no niggles and fresh to run it out. I'll be doing little to no runs the week before it the hard miles are going in now over the next two weeks. I made that mistake before for a 10k, was a hard slog.

I'm not setting any time targets if I do it under 2 hrs great but the main thing is finishing it. It takes me a few miles to get into a stride so having the hill early will be good. Whats you average pace?

• Advertisement

I think the main thing is taper for the race week no niggles and fresh to run it out. I'll be doing little to no runs the week before it the hard miles are going in now over the next two weeks. I made that mistake before for a 10k, was a hard slog.

I'm not setting any time targets if I do it under 2 hrs great but the main thing is finishing it. It takes me a few miles to get into a stride so having the hill early will be good. Whats you average pace?

My planned pace is between 5.30 and 5.45 a KM. Which will hopefully bring me in around the 2hr mark, most likely between 2hrs and 2:15. i may go with the 2:15 pacers and see how i'm going, if i'm comfortable at mile 10 then i'll move it on a bit. finishing it comfortably is the main aim rather than time for me

Registration for this closed last night.

Any last minuters on here?

Registration for this closed last night.

Any last minuters on here?

How's the training going slingerz?

Not bad now did a 10K last weekend for 49 mins although I reckon the course was a bit short to be honest!

Going to target the 2 mins and see if I can make that it if I fall back to the 2.15 crew

Think I'll do the same, Sure give me a PM before the race as well be probably running the same pace with the 2hr gang.

• Advertisement

Think I'll do the same, Sure give me a PM before the race as well be probably running the same pace with the 2hr gang.

will do certainly, i've a bugger of a chest infection at the moment so not getting any runs in with it, hopefully it clears by Saturday week!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I am hoping to get in under the 2 Hrs, But not sure as never run a half before. But done a few 10k races/runs.
    Not sure how i will get on with the extra distance.
    Training on sunday was tough in the cold but managed 11.5K in around 58mins.

will do certainly, i've a bugger of a chest infection at the moment so not getting any runs in with it, hopefully it clears by Saturday week!!:eek:

Great, hopefully it clears by Saturday week, it's not too far away now. Looking at the map it's a good 4-5% uphill gradient for ~2km after a nice 3km start.

After 9km it's downhill for 4km so the hill really will determine how your race goes IMO. I have it mapped out on mapmyrun

Untitled1.png

That incline does not look like fun at all

Luckily it's early in the race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Those inclines will account for 4-5 minutes for anyone in or around 2 hr pace. 6 to 10 K is undulating and 13-15 will seperate the men from the boys. There will be some lovely seanic views along the way to make up for it. :)

Ran 19k today around 93mins today so might be too fast for the 2hr pace, might hang with them up that hill though. :)

Have the mother and father of all colds with over a week and can't shift it at all

Haven't gotten a run in over a week. Worried about the half next week at this stage any tips to help??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Have the mother and father of all colds with over a week and can't shift it at all

Haven't gotten a run in over a week. Worried about the half next week at this stage any tips to help??

Not running for a week is not an issue, you don't lose much fitness in such a short space of time.

What's more of an issue is the lingering cold. There is no point racing when your body is not up for it and you could even do yourself some nasty damage if it's really bad. Don't run if there is anything in your lungs, headcolds are usually okay to run through.

Take an honest assessment a day or 2 before the race and decide if it's wise to run or not.

Not running for a week is not an issue, you don't lose much fitness in such a short space of time.

What's more of an issue is the lingering cold. There is no point racing when your body is not up for it and you could even do yourself some nasty damage if it's really bad. Don't run if there is anything in your lungs, headcolds are usually okay to run through.

Take an honest assessment a day or 2 before the race and decide if it's wise to run or not.

Cheers for the advice. The lungs aint too bad and im optimistic that i'll have it shifted by the weekend but its not ideal prep at the same time! Hopefully by Wednesday i'll be back to normal anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Cheers for the advice. The lungs aint too bad and im optimistic that i'll have it shifted by the weekend but its not ideal prep at the same time! Hopefully by Wednesday i'll be back to normal anyway

I was in the same boat last week for the Waterford HM. Plenty of rest - no running - as well as dosing myself up with cough bottle and Vit C meant I was feeling better (didn't make the call until the day before the race). Only thing was my energy levels were low and I felt it in the race and really struggled from mile 10 onwards. Feeling good today but time will tell if it'll bite me in the *ss. If I was in any doubt I would not have run.

• Advertisement

I was in the same boat last week for the Waterford HM. Plenty of rest - no running - as well as dosing myself up with cough bottle and Vit C meant I was feeling better (didn't make the call until the day before the race). Only thing was my energy levels were low and I felt it in the race and really struggled from mile 10 onwards. Feeling good today but time will tell if it'll bite me in the *ss. If I was in any doubt I would not have run.

cheers its my first half so it'll be tough enough going anyway even without this cold!

optimistic that i'll plod along through it regardless even if i make myself worse for next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Slingerz I think the conventional wisdom is that you can run if it's above the neck.

If you're chest is anyway dodgy then I think you know yourself that you won't be fit to run. You still have the best part of a week to recover fully so get to bed early every night this week and if you can get a run in, in the next few days - it will do your confidence some good.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Might as well start the weather watch.

Accuweather_Clonakilty

Forecast for a cold dry one with a bit of a breeze.

Looking like good enough conditions at this stage.

Going to get out tonight for a 10K and have a load of layers on try sweat whatever is left of this cold out of me!

Hopefully it goes well for me and I make it to the start line on Saturday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Going to get out tonight for a 10K and have a load of layers on try sweat whatever is left of this cold out of me!

Take it very easy this evening.

Careful it's better to have the whole body rested for sat, my legs flared up just running a 5k last night after working a 12hr shift. I'm not doing anything but rest for next few days now, your fitness levels will be fine you won't have lost much fitness over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Good few days left yet so hopefully it clears up for you. Take it handy if it's not totally gone by Sat, I had a cold come back to bite me at an event last Feb which made for an unpleasant final few k.

The Norwegians are predicting a bit of wind for Sat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Collected my race packs last night, Looking forward to saturday albeit a bit nervous.
    Weather looks like it will be good to us, Hopefully we wont have to worry about wearing layers of clothes to keep warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

boydkev wrote: »
    Weather looks like it will be good to us, Hopefully we wont have to worry about wearing layers of clothes to keep warm.

Don't wear more than one layer, you will be too hot within 5 minutes of running.
    If you want you can wear a throwaway top at the start and toss it to the side when we get going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Any plans to meet up somewhere on Saturday evening? Where is the best spot with a bit of atmosphere?

Advertisement