Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Gun

Options
  • 16-08-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

Long time lurker on this forum and finally went and bought a rifle and applied for the license. I got my approval paid the fee and once the license came went and picked up the gun.

When I was buying it I got a recommendation on a dealer, went in told them what I wanted it for, admitted I knew nothing about guns etc and asked their advice. I was taken into a gun room, shown about 12 second hand .22Lr rifles and given an opportunity to handle them all. Their advice was pick the 3 that I felt fitted me best and then we could talk about prices..

This one was the last one I picked up and it just fitted. Went to shoulder and the sights just lined up, trigger felt nice, bolt felt nice, it just felt right. Did the deal, filled in the paperwork and was home before I realized that the only thing I knew about it was that it was a CZ .22lr. No idea which model, what size magazine nothing...

So I was doubly excited picking it up..

Turned out to be a CZ 452. What really surprised me was that it is the golden anniversary limited edition one. Number 451 of 500..

95D828B3D7D4416489C4474B0FD08D3C-0000366313-0003340175-00800L-3AA91FD3254E4C74B2AF59C2E9E77994.jpg

3142A104E59F422AAC85819532C32E59-0000366313-0003340176-00800L-4A0478D65EDA4710BED1D918C9A8D770.jpg

Its pretty much perfect except for one bit of damage on the stock that I will repair.

4EBF6A6E027E4BABB88D57C2C06846B9-0000366313-0003340174-00800L-14A10958514C40BFA2A879455A38E992.jpg

After taking it home I zeroed the sights (they were wayyyyyyyyyyy off) and next evening went hunting bunnies. First shot was at 60 yards and dead bunny. Second shot was too soon as he was still skitish but third shot at 58 yards and dead bunny... The rest vanished but very happy for my first time out.

First thing on the shopping list is a bipod but the day after buying it I was made redundant so all purchases (except ammo) are on hold for a while.

I want to put on a moderator but despite being told that it was granted there is no S on my license (except for the hologram and I assume that's not it) so need to get that sorted, get a job sorted and then its get the barrel threaded..

Many thanks to Cass for his help and advice through the application process...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You cannot go wrong with a CZ. Being the anniversary model with that little extra is icing on the cake.

You seem to be flying it already so happy continued hunting and well ware.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

That's a lovely gun lad the bolt on it is class. I know its the limited edition but is that the American stock on it.

I have to say it nice and looks very clean aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

That's a lovely gun lad the bolt on it is class. I know its the limited edition but is that the American stock on it.

I have to say it nice and looks very clean aswell.

That one chip and a small scratch are the only marks on it.

I have no idea what the stock is but it feels just perfect when I shoulder it, everything just falls into place...

I tried two other 452's one with a composite stock and one with a wood stock and while both were nice (they were in face my 2nd and 3rd choices) they just didnt fit as well.

I have been trying to dig out any info I can on the limited edition but all I could find was one small piece from New Zealand (250 of the 500 went to OZ) which is on the CZ website

http://www.czub.cz/zbrojovka/cz-about-in-the-press/ARTICLES_GUNS-HUNTING_BRNO-RIFLES.pdf
    And an announcement on another forum

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-164817.html

I don't know if its a special stock or just a standard one with the hand done chequering and engraving. I don't even know what wood it is.

One guy told me not to get the barrel threaded as it would take from the gun but I want to use it and the last thing I need is to be scaring livestock or having people from near by houses complain.. I want to grow my permissions not upset existing ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

well wear,very nice,happy shooting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

You simply cannot go wrong with a cz/brno, if you look after that rifle it will last you decades.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

knipex wrote: »
    One guy told me not to get the barrel threaded as it would take from the gun but I want to use it and the last thing I need is to be scaring livestock or having people from near by houses complain.. I want to grow my permissions not upset existing ones..
    Everyone will have their own opinion, but personally i wouldn't touch the barrel.

With subsonics the rifle will be very quiet without a mod. Granted it'll be whisper quiet with a mod, but to thread the barrel for me would destroy the gun. I have an Anschutz 1710 D. Not a limited edition or a special gun. However in the 6 years i've had it i never once contemplated removing the open sights and having the gun threaded. Just could not bring myself to do it. I know you don't have the open sight issue with your's, but i still would not do it.

Future appreciation aside way i would keep a rifle of it's design as original as possible. Just my opinion.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

looking at your picture, it has no open sights so its just a simple threading job. Any good gunsmith will make you a flush thread cap and have it blued to match the barrel and you wouldn't even notice its threaded unless you went twisting at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

well wear that's a fine piece of gun you got yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ciaranfitz.22

How long did it take for your licence to come through?, I sent in my application 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten any call about it.

How long did it take for your licence to come through?, I sent in my application 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten any call about it.

First I heard was when I received the grant letter..

As to how long.. well that depends on location, and timing. Took me about 7 weeks to get the grant letter and 4 working days from paying to getting the license. I know another guy took 4 weeks and yet another 15 weeks, all in the same district just different times.. As I was told when I applied anything from one week to 3 months,, possibly longer if they are busy..

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    looking at your picture, it has no open sights so its just a simple threading job. Any good gunsmith will make you a flush thread cap and have it blued to match the barrel and you wouldn't even notice its threaded unless you went twisting at the end.

Now that is a good idea.. Can you recommend a good gunsmith ? I know plenty of toolmakers but not sure if I would like to let any of them near a rifle..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Now that is a good idea.. Can you recommend a good gunsmith ? I know plenty of toolmakers but not sure if I would like to let any of them near a rifle..

Do NOT let a toolmaker near your rifle.

threading has to line up perfect with the Inner circle of the barrel and not the outer one as not all barrels are concentric.

Where abouts are you based and someone can recommend the closest one that has a reliable reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I'd say the stock is walnut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Lovely gun, well wear

Is the barrel fluted ?

Putting a mod on it may not make any difference when shooting bunnies, if you plan to use only subs you'll just hear a click of the bolt but the thump the bullet makes when it impacts usually causes the others to run, mod has only a slight quietening effect on hi-velocity,

Do NOT let a toolmaker near your rifle.

threading has to line up perfect with the Inner circle of the barrel and not the outer one as not all barrels are concentric.

That's not actually the bit I am nervous about. The guy I am thinking of would clock up the internal bore and crown in his sleep (one of the best turners I have ever seen). But he has no experience with guns, would probably make him very nervous yet he would feel obliged to do it because I asked.. I used to work with him, used to be an pretty decent on a lathe in my time but not in his league.
    Where about's are you based and someone can recommend the closest one that has a reliable reputation.

Just outside Limerick..

<MOD SNIP>
    4gun wrote: »
    Lovely gun, well wear

Is the barrel fluted ?

Thank you.

Yes it is but the fluting stops a couple of inches short of the muzzle.

4gun wrote: »
    Putting a mod on it may not make any difference when shooting bunnies, if you plan to use only subs you'll just hear a click of the bolt but the thump the bullet makes when it impacts usually causes the others to run, mod has only a slight quietening effect on hi-velocity,

One of my permissions (and the best one riddled with rabbits, very close to where I live and large open fields with ideal backstops and no danger of hikers etc) was granted because I said I would have a moderator.. He is very nervous about the noise startling horses. He also does not want anyone to know he is allowing shooting on the land (has had trouble previously and normally refuses permissions). Plus one of the houses nearby breeds pedigree dogs and he has had problems previously with rifle shots frightening his dogs. If he complains then that's the end of my permission..

I plan on using subs pretty much exclusively but did get a box of 50 stingers just to try out on a different permission. While the subs are not loud there is a definite crack. The farmer on the permission where I was shooting told me he didn't even hear it in his shed but that his dog came tearing in and buried its self under his work bench. He was surprised as he uses an old shot gun on crows etc and the dog couldn't care less.

I have seen Ralf Neibauer mentioned on a couple of threads on this and other forums as a good German gunsmith. Appears to be highly rated but google is not helping me find him.

Anyone know where he is or how to contact him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 davediesel

http://www.irelandcustomrifle.com/index.html

I went to Fergal White in Athlone following recommendations from Boards, he's 100%. Did a great job threading a .308 barrel and is organising a one off 20 MOA rail for me. I will be back with the .17 to get that done too. He's having bother with his mobile so keep trying the landline, he'll get back to you if he doesn't pick up,

Advertisement