Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for a bike tour

Options
  • 16-08-2013 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello all,

I'm heading for a 2 week tour of Germany and looking for a good insurance policy that will cover the bike (approx e1,000) and gear (including a good camera).

The insurance sites have low limits on single items and I didn't see much on the previous threads.

Has anyone else gotten good insurance or have good suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

FT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Hello all,

I'm heading for a 2 week tour of Germany and looking for a good insurance policy that will cover the bike (approx e1,000) and gear (including a good camera).

The insurance sites have low limits on single items and I didn't see much on the previous threads.

Has anyone else gotten good insurance or have good suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

FT

travel insurance? That would cover everything wouldnt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

there was a guy on the drogheda wheelsrs facebook page some time ago that done bike insurance. maybe check him out.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fellow traveller

there was a guy on the drogheda wheelsrs facebook page some time ago that done bike insurance. maybe check him out.;)

i can only take from your emoticon that FB is the best resource to go to. Thanks fellow traveller! Let's swap credit card numbers, I'm really sound,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

i can only take from your emoticon that FB is the best resource to go to. Thanks fellow traveller! Let's swap credit card numbers, I'm really sound,,,
    is that a smartass reply i can't quiet make it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Open to correction but I'm fairly sure you won't get insurance that will cover the bike, in fact, it's difficult enough getting insurance that will cover you at all if the company knows you're cycle touring.

(this is based on my experience but I was on a long term trip, not sure about shorter term ones)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

You could try general sports insurance - going snowboarding we used to pay about 20 quid to cover us. Included in that was gear through transportation and whilst in use. I cant imagine cycle touring would be that different - the items value and type of potential claim would be similar. Have a google, sports or winter sports insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

ror_74 wrote: »
    You could try general sports insurance - going snowboarding we used to pay about 20 quid to cover us. Included in that was gear through transportation and whilst in use. I cant imagine cycle touring would be that different - the items value and type of potential claim would be similar. Have a google, sports or winter sports insurance.

Cycletouring isn't a listed 'sport/activity' with a lot of companies and you won't get the bike covered unless you're willing to pay an insurance premium virtually the same as the cost of the bike.

edit: Although my info is a couple of year or so out of date now :) (But I'd definitely be willing to be bet the bike won't be covered)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Cycletouring isn't a listed 'sport/activity' with a lot of companies and you won't get the bike covered unless you're willing to pay an insurance premium virtually the same as the cost of the bike.

edit: Although my info is a couple of year or so out of date now :) (But I'd definitely be willing to be bet the bike won't be covered)

I just tried http://www.sportscoverdirect.com/ - for 50 quid you can get full cover for a sports holiday including cover for the bike to about 850 quid. Everything on the bike would be covered under baggage and personal items.

Not bad I suppose. Or you just get standard travel insurance and then notify your home insurance provider ( if the bike is covered as an external item ) that you're taking it out of the country ? Not sure if that would work, worth a try I guess.

ror_74 wrote: »
    I just tried http://www.sportscoverdirect.com/ - for 50 quid you can get full cover for a sports holiday including cover for the bike to about 850 quid. Everything on the bike would be covered under baggage and personal items.

Not bad I suppose. Or you just get standard travel insurance and then notify your home insurance provider ( if the bike is covered as an external item ) that you're taking it out of the country ? Not sure if that would work, worth a try I guess.

Thanks for the info, I'll do a bit more digging and post back if I find anything good.

is that a smartass reply i can't quiet make it out.

It was a drunken reply.... I'm usually less of a dick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 fredericos

Hey fellow traveller. Did u ever get the bike insurance sorted for that trip?

Am off on a three month tour v soon and wanna try to get my bike covered. Seems easy enough to get bike touring cover but hard to actually cover the bike itself.

Any info welcome.

Hey Fredericos,

So I never got any insurance in the end. As far as i remember the excess was pretty high.

I travelled around Germany & the Neatherland and have to say it is exceedingly safe. You have to be careful with a bike in any city, but any hotel or hostel I stayed in had secure storage.

So a little story, In one campsite in Holland I asked the attendant where I could charge my iPhone, he suggests the toilets; a lot of people charged their phone there and there hadn't been a theft in the 12 years he worked there! Coming from Dublin I persisted and he charged it in breakfast room which was locked.

So, the story is don't worry too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fredericos

Thanks for the update. Good to hear it was safe. I am touring in Central America so might be a bit dodgier.

Gonna try and sort some insurance if I can. Anyone else with any ideas pls shout.

Advertisement