Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptop stuck at repair screen

Options
  • 16-08-2013 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1545, when you turn it on it gets to the windows loading stage and wants to launch startup repair or option 2 launch windows normally. When you try to run startup repair nothing happens, try to load windows nothing happens.

I've tried loading last known good configuration but it comes back to the launch windows repair.

Tried launching in safe mode but it gets stuck very early on loading drivers.

I tried loading up my own windows 7 disk to run the repairs, but once it restarts it's back to the launch startup repair window.

I've run the diagnostics available through Dells setup page and it's found no hardware faults.

I was hoping to just reinstall windows as the person who owns the laptop says there's nothing worth saving but I don't see a way to do that. There doesn't seem to be a partition for reinstalling windows.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

ScumLord wrote: »
    I was hoping to just reinstall windows as the person who owns the laptop says there's nothing worth saving but I don't see a way to do that. There doesn't seem to be a partition for reinstalling windows.

Hit F8 to load the Windows Boot Selection Menu. Select Repair Computer (cancel Startup Repair, if necessary) and then DELL Factory Recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Torqay wrote: »
    Hit F8 to load the Windows Boot Selection Menu. Select Repair Computer (cancel Startup Repair, if necessary) and then DELL Factory Recovery.
    Done it, once I hit repair computer it goes back to the screen I get presented with at boot up. With the options startup repair & and boot windows normally. No matter what action I take I end up back at that screen.

I thought all laptops had the windows cd on a partition on the hard drive? I would run a complete reinstall if I was given the option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

On this model you should get something like this:

7O3fLti.jpg

That's how your restore the laptop to factory default, older models used CTRL + F11 at the POST screen. The image is on a hidden partition (unless it had been nuked during a later re-installation)

OS installation discs are out of fashion for quite some time, at least with consumer products. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's failed a load of hard drive tests now, so that looks like the problem. Cheers.

Advertisement