Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Outlook Error

Options
  • 16-08-2013 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I am trying to add an email account to MS Outlook and am getting the follwoing error when Outlook tries to send a test mail. Does anyone know how to get past this error?

Send test e-mail message: The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: 454 5.7.3 Client does not have permission to submit mail to this server.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bobthebobbob

what type of account is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Make sure, authentication is disabled if the SMTP server does not require it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

IMAP.

Torqay wrote: »
    Make sure, authentication is disabled if the SMTP server does not require it.

How do I disable it?

2V1XwET.jpg

Clear this box if your outgoing mail server does not require secure authentication, check the box if it does.

• Advertisement

Clear this box if your outgoing mail server does not require secure authentication, check the box if it does.

That is unchecked. No dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

Vote that you use Thunderbird instead.

Make sure, you have the correct SMTP server, for example, if you have an eircom email account but you're on a Vodafone connection, you'll have to use Vodafone's SMTP server.

Ste_JDM wrote: »

Very helpful... and while you're at it, install Linux... or buy a Mac! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

IMAP.

Have you an Active Directory account i.e. a service account setup for this?

Basic question I know but it would be one way that your account wouldn't have permissions to send mail via that server

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    Have you an Active Directory account i.e. a service account setup for this?

Basic question I know but it would be one way that your account wouldn't have permissions to send mail via that server

What's an Active Directory?

I am already using Thunderbird for this account but I don't like it.

Who is your email provider? Who is your Internet Service provider?

The status of 'Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP)' is Completed. It's the test mail that fails.

Who is your email provider? Who is your Internet Service provider?

It's a work email account.

I have 2 mail accounts. One set up in Outlook and one in Thunderbird. I want to replace the Outlook account with the one in Thunderbird, and use web mail to access the current Outlook account.

Very helpful... and while you're at it, install Linux... or buy a Mac! :D

That actually made me giggle.

What is this! I dont even.

That actually made me giggle.

Only in tech...

It's a work email account.

I have 2 mail accounts. One set up in Outlook and one in Thunderbird. I want to replace the Outlook account with the one in Thunderbird, and use web mail to access the current Outlook account.

Not quite the answer I was looking for. ;)

What did you enter for Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)? And who is your internet service provoder (Eircom, Vodafone, UPC, etc.)?

Only in tech...

Sorta. Mostly just out of curiosity that using Open Source and free Thunderbird is seemingly as complicated as Mac and Linux.

But if you need a hand, I'll lend.

Well, we're dealing with a problem with the server settings in MS Outlook and someone jumping in with the suggestion to install Thunderbird. Just as helpful if someone is trying to solve a problem with Firefox and people suggest to use <insert your favourite web browser here> instead.

Well, we're dealing with a problem with the server settings in MS Outlook and someone jumping in with the suggestion to install Thunderbird. Just as helpful if someone is trying to solve a problem with Firefox and people suggest to use <insert your favourite web browser here> instead.

Good point but have you tried to connect via other email clients? If its not adding up I would always first use another application in the category to see if it effects both if I am at a total loss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Helpful advice only please. That is neither helpful to the OP or a solution. Please review the charter.

Not quite the answer I was looking for. ;)

What did you enter for Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)? And who is your internet service provoder (Eircom, Vodafone, UPC, etc.)?

I don't know the ISP.. It's the work Wifi I connect to. How would I find out?

The server is an IP address that I took from the settings in Thunderbird.

And the settings in Thunderbird work? You can send emails?

Is this your personal laptop? What are you using as outgoing mail server (SMTP)?

And the settings in Thunderbird work? You can send emails?

Is this your personal laptop? What are you using as outgoing mail server (SMTP)?

Yes, the account is fully functional on my Thunderbird. It's a work laptop. I believe it's SMTP. Also IMAP.

I'm not on my work laptop now so cannot check.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

I am trying to add an email account to MS Outlook and am getting the follwoing error when Outlook tries to send a test mail. Does anyone know how to get past this error?

Send test e-mail message: The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: 454 5.7.3 Client does not have permission to submit mail to this server.

check your firewall hasnt blocked the stmp port or your work firewall hasnt blocked that port. alot of employers will block webmail/private email servers to stop virus and to stop staff sending mails through private emails to avoid potential problems such as data protection violations

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Hi,

Managing multiple accounts with a single profile is not a problematic issue until any duplication with user’s account detected. Deletion or replacement with exiting account is considered as careful activities otherwise it will bring numerous faults in your email application.

Regards:
    Jane

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Hi Walrus,

The error message indicates that there is a connectivity issues raised in your mail application. It is not a big issue at all. To troubleshoot this problem correctly, a good steps is to move towards the network administrator. Form their end, you would be able to resolve your problem easily.

Regards:
    Jane

Advertisement