Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension to the rear of an end of terrace home

Options
  • 16-08-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

We are thinking to build an extension for a study room purpose to the rear of an end of terrace property. Size to be under 10m2, and roof height to be less than 2.70m.

We have checked the citizen information website and understood this size doesn't require a planning permission. However, it also says "You can not reduce your rear garden to less than 25sq.m.".

The fact is the total size of the rear garden is 25m2, after the 10m2 we are building, it will be reduced to 15 sq.m.

Anybody can help to us to gain a better understanding of these clause?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very simply...you need planning permission.

If your existing garden is 25 m.sq. Then you cannot construct the extension as an exempt development.

Another important thing to check - if the existing house was built in the last 30 years or so - is the original planning permission for the house. Very often, for tighly planned houses/townhouses (sounds like your house may be a townhouse if your garden is only 25.0 m.sq.?), there can be a condition in the original planning permission stating that no extension may constructed without planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Very often, for tighly planned houses/townhouses (sounds like your house may be a townhouse if your garden is only 25.0 m.sq.?), there can be a condition in the original planning permission stating that no extension may constructed without planning permission.

Even if there isn't a condition stating this, having the private open space to the rear of the house at 25m2 to begin with automatically makes it the case that any extension to the rear will need planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

If its for a study space would a good quality shed be an option?

bisset wrote: »
    If its for a study space would a good quality shed be an option?

Planning permission will still be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mrshaha

Planning permission will still be needed.

PP is required for a shed???

• Advertisement

Mrshaha wrote: »
    PP is required for a shed???

In your case, yes.

In your case, yes.

"In my case" does that mean for any terrace house with a garden of 25-30m2? The property I talked about has also got a side entrance for wheely beens.

"In my case" does that mean for any terrace house with a garden of 25-30m2? The property I talked about has also got a side entrance for wheely beens.

Since the minimum open space to be left to the rear of a house is 25m2, it applies to any terraced, semi-d, or detached house with only 25m2 open space to the rear.

If you have 30m2 open space you should be able to build (subject to all relevant conditions) 5m2 without the need for planning permission.

So there's a difference between having 25m2 and having 30m2 open space to the rear of the house.

Since the minimum open space to be left to the rear of a house is 25m2, it applies to any terraced, semi-d, or detached house with only 25m2 open space to the rear.

If you have 30m2 open space you should be able to build (subject to all relevant conditions) 5m2 without the need for planning permission.

So there's a difference between having 25m2 and having 30m2 open space to the rear of the house.

I got it. So even shed needs p.p is because the same reason isn't it? Thank you very much.

So I guess the same regulation applies to conservatory right?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

So I guess the same regulation applies to conservatory right?

Yes.

Advertisement