Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned, injured dog

• 16-08-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi all, at a bit of a loss here so just wondering on your opinions...long story but here we go!!

Four days ago I was out in the back field when I noticed someone by the fence that separates us from a busy road. I presumed it was one of my neighbours (who often pull in at the side of our field and throw bags of food over the fence, as its a short cut later for them when feeding their cattle on one particular field) I started to walk towards them to say hello, not really paying much attention as I was pushing my daughter in the buggy and she was giving out like hell ( I was trying to get her to nap, thought a walk in fresh air might help!)
    Anyway the first odd thing I noticed was two of my dogs standing still and alert staring over at the fence where the person was, they normal bound across tails wagging to my neighbour because my neighbour always has treats in his pocket for them! I was close enough now to realise that it wasn't my neighbour, it was a man in his 30's I'd say, leaning over the fence looking into the grass my side, I shouted a hello across and he jumped obviously not noticing me before now. I got closer and realised that he had blood on his hands, I didn't go any further, just called across to ask was he alright, he said yeah he was grand. I saw something in the grass twitching then and he saw me looking and said "It's me dog, he jumped from the car and got knocked by another car and bolted into your field". I went closer then and sure enough there was a dog covered in blood withering in pain on the grass. I exclaimed that he needed to get him to the vet asap, he nodded and said he had gotten out of his car further down the road to follow the dog on foot and would run back and get the car. I said I'd open the gate for him so he could drive in close to the poor dog...off he went and 15 minutes later, myself, my baby and my own 3 dogs were left sitting there with this dog, no sign of the owner coming back.

In the end, with some difficulty, we all made it back up the field to my house, injured dog in tow. I brought him straight to my vet and told him he had been hit by a car, the vet took him in straight away for treatment. At this stage I presumed the man had hit the dog and it wasn't his dog at all and just didn't want to be held responsible so did a runner...but then the vet informed me the dog and actually been shot!!! There was no evidence of bruising etc you'd expect with a RTA just a single bullet wound to the abdomen area.

Thinking back, I had noticed the mans hand covered in blood, that is what stopped me in my tracks from heading straight over to him, our fencing is pretty high so theres now way the man could have leaned over and touched the dog to get the blood on his hands, I can only presume he actually threw the dog over my fence to dump him there, because as far as I'm aware there is actually no way the dog could have got through the fencing, its completely secure, OH spent hours checking it recently as we have a new pup.

The vet had to do emergency surgery on him and didn't really expect him to pull through, but he has and is doing really well, so much so the vet said he could be discharged this evening. My question is what do I do with the dog??
    I've already rung around pounds, the gardai etc with a description of the dog incase it was stolen from someone and people are looking for it, but nothing. I'm afraid to advertise it incase that man was it's owner, realises its still alive and comes back to finish it off. I don't want to send it to the pound because that's no place for him, the vet says he's doing well, but this is still a seriously ill dog after major surgery, I don't think he would survive in the pound...but a rescue can't take them until they've done their 5 days in the pound sure they can't or am I wrong in saying this?? I know I by law can't rehome him until I've had him a year and a day or something.

Any idea's welcome. At the moment I have one very unhappy hubby that one of the seats in our car is stained with blood from the trip to the vet, we've forked out €400 in vet bills for a dog that's not ours and now it looks like this sick dog will be coming here for the weekend for us to take care of him, when we already have 3 of our own including a pup and a baby...
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

What a barsteward. Well done OP, for helping this poor dog.

Have you informed the dog warden? If you tell them the entire circumstances, with a full description, and give your vet's details, hopefully they will allow the dog to do its 'time' without going into the pound. Or, maybe get the vet to contact the warden, they may have a relationship with him/her already, and it may make a difference coming from a professional.

People really disgust me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fiounnalbe

The dog warden was informed alright, didn't seem overly bothered. Didn't know it was a possibility the dog might be able to serve his 5 days without actually being in the pound. I am going to the vets now to see him and will enquire :)

it depends on the pound and the warden, as long as the dog's details are registered in their book, then it should be okay. If the warden had found the dog like that, i.e., if you'd reported it, instead of helping the dog, then I doubt that they would have put the dog in the pound, they would have taken it to a vet either for treatment or to be pts. So, technically it wouldn't be in the pound, although it would be under the warden's care :)

Well I'm back from the vets. The vet was great and rang the warden for me, he however was not so great...basically he said the dog had to serve his 5 days in the pound, not matter how much pleading the vet did. After the 5 days he said he could go to a rescue if there was one to take him, but that they normally don't take injured dogs and that the pound would not be paying for anymore veterinary treatment, so basically if anything goes wrong the dog would just be PTS. I was also told, which I had never heard of before that if he survived his 5 days in the pound then I was not allowed to take him because its their policy not to rehome within a certain mile radius of where the dog was found :confused: Anyone heard this before??

Anyway the long and short of it is that doggy is now nestled in a bed in out sitting room, OH greeted us at the door with silence and followed us in with mutterings of divorce lol, but he's all show and is currently lying on the ground beside the doggies bed giving him rubs! What to with him next...!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

fiounnalbe wrote: »
    Well I'm back from the vets. The vet was great and rang the warden for me, he however was not so great...basically he said the dog had to serve his 5 days in the pound, not matter how much pleading the vet did. After the 5 days he said he could go to a rescue if there was one to take him, but that they normally don't take injured dogs and that the pound would not be paying for anymore veterinary treatment, so basically if anything goes wrong the dog would just be PTS. I was also told, which I had never heard of before that if he survived his 5 days in the pound then I was not allowed to take him because its their policy not to rehome within a certain mile radius of where the dog was found :confused: Anyone heard this before??

Anyway the long and short of it is that doggy is now nestled in a bed in out sitting room, OH greeted us at the door with silence and followed us in with mutterings of divorce lol, but he's all show and is currently lying on the ground beside the doggies bed giving him rubs! What to with him next...!!

I am seriously lost for words reading this....That is absolutely disgraceful. I have also never heard of not re-homing a dog within a radius of where he was found.

I dont know what advise to give you OP - hopefully somebody else will have more knowledge on how to deal with this desperate situation. I just cannot understand how a dog warden can be so unreasonable - actually its almost cruel behaviour. Id love to hear this story aired on radio actually. You're brilliant for what you have done so far for this dog !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Wow I just cannot believe this, I am going to personally assume that the guy you saw was in fact the dogs owner and this was his way of getting "rid of it". And then the dog warden who is insisting that this poor dog who is after sustaining a GSW, been dumped and been through major surgery does his five days in the pound! Giving you just 5 days to find a place in rescue for him as he won't allow you claim him. BTW I have never heard of anything stating that a dog can't be rehomed in the area that they are found :confused:. I'm sorry but what kind of a fupping idiot is this man and why is he being so unreasonable?

Well done OP, it's not many that would do what you have done knowing that you would be landed with the vets bills. I would try contacting some of your local rescues to see if they could atleast help out in some way, shape or form, even if they can't take him perhaps they would be willing to help out with the vets bills. Again well done, you're an absolute star doing what you did. :)

I really don't know what to say. Can I ask what part of the country you're in? If you'd rather not say, thats fine.

Whilst I would definitely assume that the person, and I use that word loosely, that shot and dumped him is the owner, there is unfortunately the chance that he's not, and someone is searching for him and worried about him. You really have your hands full I know, with your family and now this extra guest, but could you take a look through the lost and found pages, Lors Lost Dogs on Facebook is pretty good, and see if there are any missing dogs fitting this one's description? If you can't, if you pm me, I'll give you my email address, if you send me a photo, I can have a look through all the sites. No way should this poor dog have to go to the pound.

Well done again, and to your vet, they get slated quite often on here, great to hear a positive tale of a good vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

What you have done is extraordinary and renews my faith in man kind. Well done.

But then you mention the dog warden...sigh. How do these people become wardens and treat people who truely show amazing compassion towards mans best friend with such disrespect. Was the dog chipped? The warden should be more concerned about bringing that scumbag to the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Hi all, at a bit of a loss here so just wondering on your opinions...long story but here we go!!

Four days ago I was out in the back field when I noticed someone by the fence that separates us from a busy road. I presumed it was one of my neighbours (who often pull in at the side of our field and throw bags of food over the fence, as its a short cut later for them when feeding their cattle on one particular field) I started to walk towards them to say hello, not really paying much attention as I was pushing my daughter in the buggy and she was giving out like hell ( I was trying to get her to nap, thought a walk in fresh air might help!)
    Anyway the first odd thing I noticed was two of my dogs standing still and alert staring over at the fence where the person was, they normal bound across tails wagging to my neighbour because my neighbour always has treats in his pocket for them! I was close enough now to realise that it wasn't my neighbour, it was a man in his 30's I'd say, leaning over the fence looking into the grass my side, I shouted a hello across and he jumped obviously not noticing me before now. I got closer and realised that he had blood on his hands, I didn't go any further, just called across to ask was he alright, he said yeah he was grand. I saw something in the grass twitching then and he saw me looking and said "It's me dog, he jumped from the car and got knocked by another car and bolted into your field". I went closer then and sure enough there was a dog covered in blood withering in pain on the grass. I exclaimed that he needed to get him to the vet asap, he nodded and said he had gotten out of his car further down the road to follow the dog on foot and would run back and get the car. I said I'd open the gate for him so he could drive in close to the poor dog...off he went and 15 minutes later, myself, my baby and my own 3 dogs were left sitting there with this dog, no sign of the owner coming back.

In the end, with some difficulty, we all made it back up the field to my house, injured dog in tow. I brought him straight to my vet and told him he had been hit by a car, the vet took him in straight away for treatment. At this stage I presumed the man had hit the dog and it wasn't his dog at all and just didn't want to be held responsible so did a runner...but then the vet informed me the dog and actually been shot!!! There was no evidence of bruising etc you'd expect with a RTA just a single bullet wound to the abdomen area.

Thinking back, I had noticed the mans hand covered in blood, that is what stopped me in my tracks from heading straight over to him, our fencing is pretty high so theres now way the man could have leaned over and touched the dog to get the blood on his hands, I can only presume he actually threw the dog over my fence to dump him there, because as far as I'm aware there is actually no way the dog could have got through the fencing, its completely secure, OH spent hours checking it recently as we have a new pup.

The vet had to do emergency surgery on him and didn't really expect him to pull through, but he has and is doing really well, so much so the vet said he could be discharged this evening. My question is what do I do with the dog??
    I've already rung around pounds, the gardai etc with a description of the dog incase it was stolen from someone and people are looking for it, but nothing. I'm afraid to advertise it incase that man was it's owner, realises its still alive and comes back to finish it off. I don't want to send it to the pound because that's no place for him, the vet says he's doing well, but this is still a seriously ill dog after major surgery, I don't think he would survive in the pound...but a rescue can't take them until they've done their 5 days in the pound sure they can't or am I wrong in saying this?? I know I by law can't rehome him until I've had him a year and a day or something.

Any idea's welcome. At the moment I have one very unhappy hubby that one of the seats in our car is stained with blood from the trip to the vet, we've forked out €400 in vet bills for a dog that's not ours and now it looks like this sick dog will be coming here for the weekend for us to take care of him, when we already have 3 of our own including a pup and a baby...
    :confused:
    100% a Garda matter. That dog owner is guilty of a number of offences. The warden who you interacted with sounds like someone who is in the job too long. I would love to challenge him on many issues face to face and make a fool of him which is not usually too hard if warranted.
    It's 100% a Garda matter because 1. The nature of the incident using a firearm where it was used and 2 the cruel result of his actions. Both these incidents are not matters for any local authority bar bearing witness to events in a case which can only be taken by a Garda. Under legislation they are the only ones charged with enforcing animal welfare.

The re homing rule about distance is alive and well in some pounds. It's implementation is ad hoc and varies everywhere if used. When we rehome dogs from estates where we are only allowed work in numbers we will not rehome a dog to that estate if it comes from there bar we are satisfied its back to the proper owner. Some of these residents if they see a dog they think was theirs would have no hesitation it taking it back physically off any subsequent dog walker/new owner. Not seeing their dog for five days would mean nothing to some of them the fact that it may not be theirs anymore.

I'll tell a recent sceal as its a small bit relevant. I got a call. A post van was after hitting a young out loose husky. The dog was on the footpath with at least one leg broken. I had called along also an inexperienced dog warden as it was an ideal hands on learning experience. To cut a long story short a dog warden of far more senior years experience was briefed on the incident later that week. All he could say was that the warden would not be covered as he had under my instruction taken the dog to the vet. The warden should of only taken the dog to the pound.

Thems the rules and that's the job he kept saying. Knowing his backround I knew that he had bearly if ever gone to court. I explained in a few words what I had learned in the 40ish times I'd gone to court for the job, that his view was from the wisdom of an armchair and would he like to start a collection for all the wardens who are in the 'Joy'? a total of zero I suggested for doing something easy and humane. He had to go silent as those that never walk the walk have to when confronted with their own shortcomings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

OP I can't help you with the logistics of this, but I just had to say fair play to you and well done for taking care of this animal as you have. Just wonderful to read how caring you've been. Lucky dog to have been found by you.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for all yer comments, I'd like to believe I'm just doing what any one would do in this situation :)
    Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Was the dog chipped? The warden should be more concerned about bringing that scumbag to the courts.

No unfortunately not, scanned his entire body twice just to be sure
    time lord wrote: »
    100% a Garda matter. That dog owner is guilty of a number of offences.

The gardai have been informed, one of the first things I did after bring the dog to the vet, I gave them a full description of the man and they said they'd keep an eye out, but I didn't get to see what car he was driving or even better a reg plate, so I'm not sure if the will get very far looking for him. Haven't heard anything from them yet anyway.

OH who was dead set against this dog staying one hour in our house never mind the weekend, spent most of the night sleeping on the floor beside it in the sitting room, because everytime he left it the dog would whimper pitifully and start getting stressed and getting out of bed, we were afraid it would hurt itself if he started walking around, he's not the steadiest on his feet yet. Cooking him a tiny portion of chicken and rice for now, vet said small portions often, underneath this guys dense fur he's actually very skinny :(

muddypaws wrote: »

Whilst I would definitely assume that the person, and I use that word loosely, that shot and dumped him is the owner, there is unfortunately the chance that he's not, and someone is searching for him and worried about him. You really have your hands full I know, with your family and now this extra guest, but could you take a look through the lost and found pages, Lors Lost Dogs on Facebook is pretty good, and see if there are any missing dogs fitting this one's description? If you can't, if you pm me, I'll give you my email address, if you send me a photo, I can have a look through all the sites. No way should this poor dog have to go to the pound.

Well done again, and to your vet, they get slated quite often on here, great to hear a positive tale of a good vet.

We've been trawling through all these pages everynight, since the incident, no sign of him yet anywhere, we'll continue the search though. Heard of a few dogs of late rehomed and then owners have popped up, don't want this to happen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Thanks guys for all yer comments, I'd like to believe I'm just doing what any one would do in this situation :)

No unfortunately not, scanned his entire body twice just to be sure

The gardai have been informed, one of the first things I did after bring the dog to the vet, I gave them a full description of the man and they said they'd keep an eye out, but I didn't get to see what car he was driving or even better a reg plate, so I'm not sure if the will get very far looking for him. Haven't heard anything from them yet anyway.

OH who was dead set against this dog staying one hour in our house never mind the weekend, spent most of the night sleeping on the floor beside it in the sitting room, because everytime he left it the dog would whimper pitifully and start getting stressed and getting out of bed, we were afraid it would hurt itself if he started walking around, he's not the steadiest on his feet yet. Cooking him a tiny portion of chicken and rice for now, vet said small portions often, underneath this guys dense fur he's actually very skinny :(

Sounds like he has already found his new home ;-)

Fair play to you for doing what you are doing for the poor fella so many people would have walked away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

another well done to you OP for what you have done for this dog. Most people would NOT have done anything near what you have done, your kindness and love for animals shines through.

Just thinking about how people can do anything like this to an animal is mind boggling.

Would the bast**d that shot & dumped him not have had the b*lls to finish the poor dog off properly rather than leave it to die/injured? Would he feel even a twinge of his conscience as he drove away - probably not, I know :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

That is a shocking story. What a bastard that man was to dump the dog (presumably to die a slow painful death). Strange response from the warden too, who surely should see that you are some of the kindest people around. Maybe a call to the ASPCA or the local council would prompt some sort of exception to the wardens rules. Hope you keep him! He was lucky to find you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Aside from anything else, the wardens attitude genuinely shocks me, even if he didn't give a toss about the dog, you would think he would be glad not to have another dog in the pound for him to be 'minding' (I guess that's the loosest sense of the word given his attitude), OP does the warden have your name and address? I ask because I wonder if he's the sort of person to come round and demand the dog, I wonder what your position is in this situation, in a legal sense I mean and who on earth would you ask since there's so much conflicting information!

Have you decided your next step yet? I have to say what wonderful people you and your husband are, not everyone would go above and beyond like you two have and with so much already on your plate, more people like you in the world please and much less people like the dog warden and the low life scumbag who did that to the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

First of all well done OP for all you have done for this poor dog.

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    A OP does the warden have your name and address? I ask because I wonder if he's the sort of person to come round and demand the dog, I wonder what your position is in this situation, in a legal sense I mean and who on earth would you ask since there's so much conflicting information!

I don't know if the warden would have grounds to do that. By reporting the dog to the warden and the gardai you have covered yourself legally on all fronts. The complication arises if you try to rehome the dog yourself. I would keep contacting different rescues to see what they advise. I regularly see cases of cruelty on FB that different small rescues around the country take in...these dogs don't do time in the pound, so I'm wondering if there is room for manouevre. It's not a straightforward case of a dog being picked up on the street. Your local warden sounds like quite a tool.

its just so hard with all the rules and regulations to know whats what, seems to depend greatly on the warden what the rules are!!

Myself and OH have decided that since the guards and warden have our details and can find us easily if needs be, doubt the warden would ever bother though, the dog will stay here with us while he is recovering...its unfair to ship him around while hes ill and i think he already trusts us. In the meantime we shall continue to trawl through the lost and found pgs and rescues from all over ireland in case there genuinally is an owner looking for him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

would ANYONE - warden or gardai - care enough about one dumped, injured dog to do ANYTHING?!?!? :confused:

Just thought I'd give a quick update!

No sign of any owner for this guy and never heard back from warden or gardai.
    Vet has given him a clean bill of health today, once the fur grows back he will look great :) He's understandably a bit nervy still, but gets on brilliantly with all my dogs and he is like my OH's shadow. Everyday he gets better and better.

We had planned on rehoming him when he had fully recovered since we already have a rather full house, but alas whats one more!!! ;)

So meet the newest member of our troop.. Arwr (means Hero in Welsh, where hubbies from!)

Thanks to everyone for all their help, kind words and pm's about this guy, means alot

384394_4277174139551_1377258872_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Aw bless him. I had wondered how he was getting on. Well done, absolutely delighted he's staying with you :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh my! What a handsome, handsome fella! He looks so dignified :)

Now, if you'll pardon my ignorance, how do you pronounce this? :o
    Arwr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Aw man, he's gorgeous! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Smashing dog, and well done, I reckon you all landed on your feet here, looks like your OH needed him too and never knew it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

OP you are an amazing person and many years of happiness to you, your family and this dog. Faith in humanity restored :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Oh OP, love you for this and your hubby too. How do you pronounce the name (love the name Hero anyways and it's very fitting), he's very handsome, reminds me of my older dog in the face, bless his heart for what he's been through.

DBB wrote: »

Now, if you'll pardon my ignorance, how do you pronounce this? :o
    Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Oh OP, love you for this and your hubby too. How do you pronounce the name (love the name Hero anyways and it's very fitting)

It sounds like "are were", think thats the best way to describe it, took me a good while to get the pronunciation right...first and last dog OH will be naming I think ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Just teared up reading that :o

A very lucky dog you were out with your troop that day :) He's landed on his feet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Fiounnalbe you and your hubby have done a most wonderful thing. I hope karma rewards you both a thousand times over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

What an amazingly happy ending! That is one lucky dog and you are absolutely brilliant OP for what you have done for him:-) I wish you and your family many many happy years together!

Advertisement