Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift for New Baby

Options
  • 16-08-2013 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my niece had her first baby last week. A beautiful little girl.

I really want to send something to them, she lives in Aberdeen and I'm in the USA. So i'd like to keep it to Amazon.co.uk

Whats the number one thing she's going to need that I can have sent? Something that it wont matter if someone else has also give her.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I got given 'that's not my ...' Books as a present, loved them. There is such a good selection you can find something suitable to the parents - dinosaur, kitten etc.

If you are getting clothes think of the season you are buying for and dresses (I am told) aren't practical for learning to crawl

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

Grobags. They are a lovely gift to receive. Also the "spot" the dog books go down really well here.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

The best gifts we got were definitely grobags and its always handy to have a spare. Books also a lovely gift.

I wouldn't give clothes, we got so many the boys grew out of them before they got a chance to wear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Best thing we got was from a girl who asked her sister from her experience what we would need. She gave us a gro bag, muslin cloths in funky prints and some vests. The muslin cloths get used a ridiculous amount - great pressie.

We got loads of clothes in newborn and 0-3 months size (some of which we didn't receive until he was about 5 weeks old) and he hardly wore them, they were just too small, even though he's only 2 months old now. Clothes 6-9 months or older would be much better.

Also my hubby's family live in the Southern Hemisphere - they bought the baby so many clothes from 3-6 months to 12-18 months but they loads of them are for the wrong season (e.g. Snow suits for 12 months when that'll be the middle of summer for us) - so if you do get clothes for older babies think of the season! I'm hoping as my boy is such a good grubber he'll be a bit big for his age and be able to wear them after all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NBO

Sophie the giraffe is always a great gift. Books in general are lovely to receive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Plus one on books! We got some gorgeous ones and it made such a nice change from clothes (as lovely as they were!!)

My mums friend got her this book as a congrats on becoming a granny type present...it really is gorgeous and is something that can be useful for years to come.

http://www.amazon.com/Hook-Line-Singer-Singalong-Book/dp/1846147174/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376688690&sr=8-1&keywords=hook+line+and+singer+by+cerys+matthews

Would also recommend grobags, would be lost without them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Thank you all so much!

I had to go and look up "grobags".... it sounds like something you get from the garden centre. :o

Also I'll avoid clothes (phew). Lots of suggestions for books. I'm a big believer in books, but isnt it a little young do they make books for newborns?

Muslin Cloths sounds useful too.

I'll buy a couple of grobags.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Never too young for books, we read to ours from the day she came home from the hospital. They love it, the pictures, the sounds of their parent's voices.

One of the best gifts we got was a bouncy chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The books we love best are Peepo, the Babys Catalogue, Where's Spot and the Hungry Caterpillar. We've had these almost since birth and our fella is now 2.5 and he still goes back to them.

I prefer board books as they can take a lot of wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Another vote here for books, my son's absolute favourite is Lost and Found by Oliver Jeffers (an Irish author & illustrator).
    http://www.thebookchook.com/2013/02/childrens-book-review-lost-and-found.html?m=1

He loves it so much he also has it on DVD though he'd prefer to have the story read to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I saw that book in the library recently. It might be part of his Christmas present this year.

This was actually the most useful gift I received on my son. I didn't have or want a big change bag so I found this so practical

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000EDJ19Y

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

sophie the giraffe is a brilliant idea.

Advertisement